• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Stephen Colbert to take over the Late Show

The last thing television needs is yet another safe, non-offensive, stale late night variety show.

That's exactly what it will be because it cannot be anything else. Craig Ferguson is the closest to something different, but something different isn't going to dominate. It's a stale, old fashioned format, it's sad to lose the Colbert Character to it, but blandness can be successful.

The Colbert Character was quite a curiosity to emerge from the 2000s as political discourse continued to spin out of control. Of course he was on The Daily Show before Jon Stewart playing a generic, smarmy reporter in a less political format. When they politicized the show, and later Colbert in character, they created a savvy media satire in the form of a comedy show.

If anyone has a spare half hour, go back to 2006 and watch Colbert at the White House Correspondents Dinner.

He lambasts the Bush Administration completely in character, and he's quite clever. But beyond that is the courage to say what he did with then-president George W. Bush and his wife sitting a few feet away. He may be a comedian (and usually they graduate to stale talk shows to stay relevant), but he had bite, and losing his character as an interesting critique on society and the media is what I find most unfortunate.

Hopefully Comedy Central will just move on without explanation and re-cast a new character in that role. Then again, could anyone do it as well as Colbert?

I hear John Oliver is coming to Sunday nights. Also have to hope Stephen Colbert can keep it interesting like Graham Norton.

Folks,

Colbert is not Letterman. The timing is different.

Alex.

I would not compare them, just like I would not compare Jimmy Fallon with Johnny Carson. There are things that I like about Fallon and other things that I like about Johnny Carson...

I hear John Oliver is coming to Sunday nights. Also have to hope Stephen Colbert can keep it interesting like Graham Norton.

I'm looking forward to Oliver having his own show. I've watched every one of Norton's shows. I love the red chair bit...:D

Back
Top Bottom