• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Supergirl to be in same universe as Flash/Arrow

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
http://geektyrant.com/news/supergirl-series-to-be-set-in-the-same-universe-as-arrow-and-the-flash

Despite being on a different network, the upcoming Supergirl series will be set in the same universe as Flash and Arrow. Honestly, this sounds like a good idea. As flawed as Flash and Arrow are, they're the most interesting thing going on in DC outside of the comic books. I mean, yeah, I'm getting kind of tired of the whole dark 'n gritty shtick, but I actually care about the characters, which is not something I can say about the more recent DC movies.

If you have Supergirl around, why would you need Flash or Green Arrow? They'd be somewhat redundant.

It would be like having a team with Superman on it and then inviting Batman to join. I mean ... why?

If you have Supergirl around, why would you need Flash or Green Arrow? They'd be somewhat redundant.

It would be like having a team with Superman on it and then inviting Batman to join. I mean ... why?

Eh, they can explain that away by saying that she's in a different city. In the Flash/Arrow universe, costumed heroes and villains are a fairly new phenomenon so everyone (heroes, villains, and public alike) are still trying to figure out what everything is and how all this crap works, so they should have no problem explaining stuff like this away. In the DC comic universe where caped heroes and villains have been around for decades, these would be more serious questions.

As flawed as Flash and Arrow are, they're the most interesting thing going on in DC outside of the comic books. I mean, yeah, I'm getting kind of tired of the whole dark 'n gritty shtick, but I actually care about the characters, which is not something I can say about the more recent DC movies.

In a weird way, I actually enjoy the fact that Flash and Arrow are flawed. Without hundred million dollar movie budgets and A-list stars, they've compensated with character development and story. It isn't perfect, but they're getting by pretty well within the limitations of second-tier network television.

It's like watching minor league baseball. You're not seeing millionaire players, and maybe the playing isn't as good, but the seats are cheap and you're having just as good a time.

I tried watching Flash and Arrow. Couldn't tolerate the writing, the acting, the casting, the overall tone. As far as I'm concerned, Gotham is the closest thing DC has to "interesting" on TV.

I don't particularly care whether some shows share the same universe or not, unless they have shared storylines. And even then it doesn't,t have to be consistent.

Chris Carter's X-Files and Millennium had a few crossovers. In particular I remember Frank Black being a real character in an X-Files episode, but in Millennium the X-Files is a TV show.

Another example, in Break Kings there was an episode featuring T-Bag from Prison Break. And in another episode we see people watching Prison Break on TV.

So, whatever works is fine. BTW is Gotham supposed to be in the same universe with Arrow/Flash/Supergirl? Or with Nolan's Batman movies?

So, whatever works is fine. BTW is Gotham supposed to be in the same universe with Arrow/Flash/Supergirl? Or with Nolan's Batman movies?

No, it's not supposed to be in the same universe as any other works.

I think he was referring to the difference in power. Supergirl is stronger, faster ... more of everything compared to a guy that just shoots arrows. They can not exist in the same story as it's different kind of superheroes.

They have already done some minor crossover episodes between Flash and Arrow, but this week they are devoting a full episode of each to a continuous story line involving both heroes.

While I can see some of the former with Supergirl being in the same DC Universe, but given that it is a different network I doubt there will be anything like the two episode mini-series we are getting with Flash and Arrow.

I think he was referring to the difference in power. Supergirl is stronger, faster ... more of everything compared to a guy that just shoots arrows. They can not exist in the same story as it's different kind of superheroes.
Superman and Green Arrow coexisted just fine in Smallville. Besides this would be two separate series so it wouldn't even be that difficult.

This universe is getting crammed full of superheroes.

Anyone noticed there are so many with a relatively small set of powers?

Back
Top Bottom