• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Syntheism in Vice

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Oh, look. Early 2012 me and a few friends founded a new religion. An atheistic religion. The going theory was that religion isn't all bad. I personally have always liked religions. I like the buildings, rituals and traditions. I just found the idea of God to be... well... it offended all reason. I think this idea was floating around at the time because this spread like wild-fire. And now it's huge. Way way bigger than just me and my friends. A couple of days ago we got interviewed in Vice.

http://www.vice.com/read/can-an-open-source-religion-work-456

I have no idea where Syntheism will go from here. But the idea of an atheistic religion I think is here to stay. Whatever form it will take.

Here's our website if anyone cares: http://syntheism.org/

Happy reading.

Why would I want to hang out with somebody just because they were an atheist?

How does one revel in a negation?

Hmm, looks like I've been elevated to god status. Me bless you, my child.

The religion itself is only about practice. You can fill it with whatever you want. There's a project within Syntheism to create new gods. Atheos is the god of not existing. Or god of emptiness. So being blessed by Atheos is a logical paradox. But I wouldn't put it past the religious to accept illogical stuff :)

I personally, don't get it. I'm happy enough to just go to the services. They're awesome and cool. There is a philosophy behind the Syntheistic gods, Syntheos (community), Pantheos (joy of living), Atheos (stillness) and Entheos (renewall). But they're just symbols, and very much invented. No Syntheist believes they actually exist. And no Syntheist would start crying if you simply changed the gods around or called them something else. Your relation to Syntheism is your's and your's alone.

The Gothemburg crew have already a church ready. We in Stockholm are in this process now. It'll be a church and yoga studio during the day, and night-club during the night. Or whatever activities we deem fitting.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would I want to hang out with somebody just because they were an atheist?

How does one revel in a negation?

That's the point of being a Syntheist. This isn't atheism as a religion. This is a religion where we're also atheists. As you point out, hanging out with somebody just because they're atheists is pointless.

That's cool, man! So, you're Alexander Bard! How awesome is that?!

I agree with much of what you are doing. My own inspiration for this kind of thing is centered on Constantin Brunner and Spinoza. You can check out my website: constantinbrunner.info. I'm working with other Brunnerians. I have also started a local group that is basically about the connection between spirituality and politics.

eta: Oh, I see your not Alexander Bard himself. Still, very cool!

That's cool, man! So, you're Alexander Bard! How awesome is that?!

I agree with much of what you are doing. My own inspiration for this kind of thing is centered on Constantin Brunner and Spinoza. You can check out my website: constantinbrunner.info. I'm working with other Brunnerians. I have also started a local group that is basically about the connection between spirituality and politics.

eta: Oh, I see your not Alexander Bard himself. Still, very cool!

ha ha.. No I am not him. Most Syntheists seem to be huge Spinoza fans as well. I'm not. But that's just because I don't know enough about Spinoza. Alexander Bard is a huge forum troll though. So you may already have spoken to him without knowing it.

I just hope he isn't that Swedish guy, "wordy." Jesus. Also hoping he isn't "Juma."

Brunner provides a good means of approaching Spinoza.

Back in the day we woulda referred to that as a "buzzkill". Why you killin' my buzz, buzzkiller?

If your buzz is killed so easily then it might as well be dead.

“Only optimists commit suicide, optimists who no longer succeed at being optimists. The others, having no reason to live, why would they have any to die?”

― Emil Cioran

If your buzz is killed so easily then it might as well be dead.

“Only optimists commit suicide, optimists who no longer succeed at being optimists. The others, having no reason to live, why would they have any to die?”

― Emil Cioran

That was one of the silliest saying I've read!
There is at least one obvious reason:

The terrible burden of being alive.

Cioran spent his whole life writing about that burden of being born, hence his other saying about suicide:

"It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late."

― Emil Cioran

That was one of the silliest saying I've read!
There is at least one obvious reason:

The terrible burden of being alive.

Fuck that shit. I'm too curious about what's gonna happen next to think about dying just yet.

Back
Top Bottom