• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Syntheistic philosophy

How do you know? This is speculative to the extreme. I also suspect that it's false. I'm pretty sure beliefs and values are more related to income, technology and crime rate than what religion they belong to. This is the Euthyphro dilemma. Morals and values do not come from religion. The fact that Christians like to believe that morals and values come from religion is beside the point. We know they're wrong. Socrates has already demonstrated it.This is a correlation causation thing. We've all seen the famous statistic where you're more likely to get murdered in a deeply religious community than a more atheistic one. The link, as we all know, is poverty. Poverty makes people more religious as well as more criminally inclined.

This is borderline lunacy. Poverty does not make people believe that a virgin gave birth to Jesus our lord and savior. We have a word for people who profess to believe that actually happened. It, and no other word, neatly encapsulates them based on this characteristic, and differentiates them from people who deny Jesus' virgin birth took place. And for Pete's sake, the word isn't "poor" and you know it.

Irrelevant. The virgin birth is not a value. It's a myth. Obviously myths can require membership in a group. Myths are stories that groups of people tell to help cement group identity. It's just the same thing as Steve yet again telling the story of Mike throwing up all over his date. It doesn't matter if it's true or not. The story just has to be entertaining. And just like Steve's umpteenth retelling of the Mike incident, the story starts morphing. New details are added to add oomph to the story. Myths often take on a supernatural component over time (for some reason I don't actually know) like that Mike actually drank 30 quartz of whiskey in one sitting. The Virgin birth is an excellent example because it's one of the last changes to make it into the Christian Biblical canon. For the first two hundred years of Christianity the belief in the virgin birth was optional.

Myths are ubiquitous in all cultures, and sub-cultures regardless of how much money they make. Also, tend to have zero impact on pretty much anything in our day to day life. I can't think of a single behaviour or value that may change due to the belief in the Virgin Birth. I can't think of a single religious myth that impacts behaviour at all (beyond behaviour in religious ceremonies and rituals).

But like I said. It's not a value. So my statement still holds.

While we're being speculative, I think it is more than mere coincidence that you have adopted your view of religion fairly simultaneously with becoming a member of a religion. In other words, because you are ideologically committed to Syntheism being a positive force in (at least) your life, it leaves you feeling as if you must defend all religion on that basis.

Pretty much. But I wouldn't say I defend all religion. Religion is a tool. All tools can be used for good or bad. There are unhelpful ways to do religion. For example, any religion that claims that this is the one and only way to do it, is by definition a bad religion. I think that's a good rule of thumb. I'm sure there are other examples.

There is relevant details to this. I used to be a fervent New Atheist. I was totally on-board with Dawkins' all-religion-is-evil and a brain virus. But then I started managing teams of Indian IT-professionals. So I started learning lots about Hinduism. I'd been to India before. But this was an eye-opener. Then I travelled to Egypt and befriended a Muslim guy from Cairo. So I stayed with him and got to meet his family. I went from zero contact with religion to lots of contact with religion. It changed my views completely about what religion was. And then I saw this Ted talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oe6HUgrRlQ

And I realized that I'd travelled all over the globe. My number one attraction I want to see when I come to other countries is famous religious buildings. I really love religion and always have. There's lots of unnecessary shit attributed to religion that is completely redundant. So I sat down, using Alain de Botton's book "Religion for atheists" and tried to figure out how I would design a religion for me. Around that time I was also planing on going to Burning Man. I didn't. But there is a Swedish version of a Burning Man festival. So I went to that. In the planing stages for this trip I met a group of Swedish "Burners" who had seen the same Alain de Botton talk and done the exact same thing as me. What happened next was like lighting a match in a sea of gasoline. We all had had the same vision. Including Alexander Bard. So this religion happened, pretty much by itself. It required no convincing of anybody. That's still the case now as far as I know.

We experimented with rituals for about six months until we found a form that worked the best. I wasn't really involved with this. We have theatre people and artists in our group. They had the training. Religious ceremony is fundamentally like any performance.

Until we got the rituals nailed, and found a form that worked for everyone I wasn't sure Syntheism was going to happen. Until that point it felt like we were just a group of people pretending to do religion. It often just felt silly. But then the "magic" happened, and it all came together. That's the point I was convinced that we'd created something positive and actually useful. And now it's soon three years later. It's still as positive for me now as it was then.

I have no skin in this game, I see no a priori reason that religions must be one way or another. You seem to have set up this massive interconnected Quinean web of re-definitions and re-interpretations, at the center of which is the proposition that religion must never be at fault for anything whatsoever, must never be specifically about anything that could be negatively construed, must be the same for everybody throughout history as it is for you this year. Tangled and sticky is the silk of that web from my perspective, not knowing you in person. I may be wrong, but I don't normally impute deep pathologies to relative strangers unless they say some seriously wayward stuff while otherwise being clever and observant.

Hmm... there's loads of books and theories on religion. The Wikipedia article on religion I posted to earlier lists all the prominent theories of what religion is and what it's function is. We didn't have to re-define or re-interpret anything. All religions are a vast sprawling complex of various ideas and activities. As all religious theoreticians always have noted. I don't think anybody has claimed that religions are simple and straightforward.

At least Alain de Botton agrees with me. So there's at least one big name mainstream philosopher who agrees with our definition of what a religion is. That's good enough for me.

What we did when we created Syntheism is that we picked out the core of what a religion is, ie it's actually mechanic and function in society (as we and various theorists saw it, Botton for example). We actually did our homework. We removed all the redundant shit, a supernatural god included. Syntheism is almost entirely bits and pieces we've stolen from other religions. I don't think there's anything we've actually come up with on our own. I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure of this. But I think all of it is stolen stuff from other religions.

To the extent that you can be swayed by it, my advice is that you don't have to adopt a worldview that exempts religion from all culpability. You can continue to find solace in ritual and mythology while at the same time acknowledging that religions have something to do with what people believe. You need not burden your considerable intellect trying to find some research that explains why entire groups of humans face a certain direction relative to the planet's equator and carry out remarkably consistent bodily movements and utterances, while other people don't... I see you frantically scouring the internet for a variable, a societal pressure, any one will do, just please don't let it be because they are probably Muslim, which is the obvious truth. Why is such a parsimonious explanation so poisonous to you, I wonder? You didn't need to go that far; you might have assented that the particular traditions and strictures of Islam bear more than a passing resemblance to what many Muslims do, but beyond that it's all outside forces. But you specifically insisted that ALL of the hallmarks of religious behavior, including something as idiosyncratic as not shaving one's facial hair, can be traced back to the invention of the printing press or some such gymnastics. Yet at the same time, a group of friends cheering at a football game are participating in a religious ceremony. No, to make that leap with a straight face indicates to me that something pernicious has gotten hold of you.

Let's just agree to disagree. I think that religions are given beliefs to promote after the fact. In religions the direction of the beliefs aren't top, down. They're bottom up. A classic example is how the Roman Empire became Christian. The elites where among the last who converted. I'm sure you don't agree with me. That's fine. You're free to find me delusional. That's fine with me to. But this is what I believe.

But the book pushes no values. An extremely condensed summation of Bard's point is that individualistic nihilism is pointless. It's empty. What makes humans happy is to connect with others. Sharing is caring. It could be any community. We all like the feeling of feeling that we're part of something greater than us. Sure, it's always an illusion. But we like the illusion. Atheism may be correct. But just being an atheist doesn't by itself fill the societal gap that religions were designed to fill, and traditionally did fill.

I strongly doubt you will find many nihilists who think it is anything other than pointless and empty. That is the very definition of nihilism, so nothing profound there.

When you go from "humans" and start saying "we" I have to to wonder, is the pronoun referring to the speaker and other Syntheists, or humanity as a whole?

It's "we" as in humans. Like I said, Syntheism pushes no values.

I don't particularly like the feeling of being being part of something greater than us. Connecting with other humans does not usually make me happy. Under most circumstances, I don't like illusions. I'm sure you are fine with all this and aren't going to tell me I'm wrong, but the author of Syntheism appears to disagree. So that's where I part ways with Syntheism I guess.

Exactly. I was very general. But people are different. Syntheism isn't going to be for everyone. Religion isn't going to be for everyone. But I think it's great that religions exist. I think.. the more the merrier. As long as they don't try pushing their beliefs onto anyone in the name of their religion, I'm fine.

Last edited:
There is relevant details to this. I used to be a fervent New Atheist. I was totally on-board with Dawkins' all-religion-is-evil and a brain virus. But then I started managing teams of Indian IT-professionals. So I started learning lots about Hinduism. I'd been to India before. But this was an eye-opener. Then I travelled to Egypt and befriended a Muslim guy from Cairo. So I stayed with him and got to meet his family. I went from zero contact with religion to lots of contact with religion. It changed my views completely about what religion was.

How do these experiences change anything about religion as a meme? Just because you've met nice hindus and muslims, doesn't mean religion doesn't fit into the dawkin's mold as a meme that spreads like a virus; nor does it establish that these religions themselves do not include notions that we in a secular context would consider to be bad, nor does it establish that these and other religions can be separated from the evil they inspire or justify. There isn't a sizeble religion in history that isn't associated with violence done in its name. You´re confusing religious people and religion here.

Until we got the rituals nailed, and found a form that worked for everyone I wasn't sure Syntheism was going to happen. Until that point it felt like we were just a group of people pretending to do religion. It often just felt silly. But then the "magic" happened, and it all came together.

Do a silly thing enough times and it will stop seeming silly. Even if it´s still silly.

At least Alain de Botton agrees with me. So there's at least one big name mainstream philosopher who agrees with our definition of what a religion is. That's good enough for me.

The relevant book of his, religion for atheists, has been widely panned by just about every other mainstream philosopher though.

Let's just agree to disagree. I think that religions are given beliefs to promote after the fact. In religions the direction of the beliefs aren't top, down. They're bottom up. A classic example is how the Roman Empire became Christian. The elites where among the last who converted.

I think you may be confused. Paganism persisted for far longer among the rural lower classes than it did the urban elite.

How do these experiences change anything about religion as a meme?

The scientific method is also a meme. Just because something is meme doesn't make it bad. Meme theory simply states that the retention of behaviour in groups of humans is primarily contingent on spreadability rather than utility. Since we're emotionally driven creatures any social phenomena that focuses on emotions, is so much more likely to be retained. That would explain how religion can survive and spread so fast even though it often includes patently absurd and silly beliefs.

Just because you've met nice hindus and muslims,

I've also met nice Neo-Nazis. Their niceness is a non-factor in this. I asked them about what their religious worship meant to them, and they told me. The biggest impact on me was an atheistic devout Hindu. I found that absurd. So I looked it up, and sure enough, Hinduism has no problem with atheistic worship, and has a long history of Hindu atheism and even Hindu sects. Atheistic Judaism is huge in the Jewish community.

doesn't mean religion doesn't fit into the dawkin's mold as a meme that spreads like a virus;

I think you've fundamentally misunderstood this metaphor. "Spread like a virus" means just that. It does not mean that a meme is a virus.

nor does it establish that these religions themselves do not include notions that we in a secular context would consider to be bad, nor does it establish that these and other religions can be separated from the evil they inspire or justify.

I'd say liberal religion disproves that. Yes, I'm aware of Dawkins position on liberal religion acts to promote fundamentalist religion. Yes, this is a problem. But I have to weigh the benefits I get out of practising Syntheism with the cost of increased religiosity in general. I also find it less than obvious that an atheistic religion is likely to promote any kind of theistic fundamentalism.

There isn't a sizeble religion in history that isn't associated with violence done in its name. You´re confusing religious people and religion here.

I've already made my position clear here. Let's agree to disagree. Just because religion is often blamed doesn't mean they did it. The real reason is always power and money.

Until we got the rituals nailed, and found a form that worked for everyone I wasn't sure Syntheism was going to happen. Until that point it felt like we were just a group of people pretending to do religion. It often just felt silly. But then the "magic" happened, and it all came together.

Do a silly thing enough times and it will stop seeming silly. Even if it´s still silly.

Speak for yourself :) I'm not wired in the head like that. Silly is always silly.

The relevant book of his, religion for atheists, has been widely panned by just about every other mainstream philosopher though.

That's not how philosophy works. Philosophers are a belligerent lot. Philosophers always cut each other to threads. That's just to be expected. That's happened to every philosopher who has ever published anything. The fact that other philosophers at all take the time to critique him is in itself praise of the strengths of his ideas.

I agree with Boton. That's enough for me. Enough philosophers take him seriously for me to as well.

Let's just agree to disagree. I think that religions are given beliefs to promote after the fact. In religions the direction of the beliefs aren't top, down. They're bottom up. A classic example is how the Roman Empire became Christian. The elites where among the last who converted.

I think you may be confused. Paganism persisted for far longer among the rural lower classes than it did the urban elite.

How does that strengthen your argument. There are more peasants than rich people. Even when the shift of power in religion is bottom up some peasants are still more likely to be pagan longer than the all of the elite. This is just Gaussian distribution.

The scientific method is also a meme. Just because something is meme doesn't make it bad. Meme theory simply states that the retention of behaviour in groups of humans is primarily contingent on spreadability rather than utility. Since we're emotionally driven creatures any social phenomena that focuses on emotions, is so much more likely to be retained. That would explain how religion can survive and spread so fast even though it often includes patently absurd and silly beliefs.

I think you'll find the scientific method is a bit more than a meme; as its retention IS based on utility.

And I didn't claim that meme = bad.

I've also met nice Neo-Nazis. Their niceness is a non-factor in this. I asked them about what their religious worship meant to them, and they told me. The biggest impact on me was an atheistic devout Hindu. I found that absurd. So I looked it up, and sure enough, Hinduism has no problem with atheistic worship, and has a long history of Hindu atheism and even Hindu sects. Atheistic Judaism is huge in the Jewish community.

I'm not quite sure what relevance this has. This was never in doubt.

I think you've fundamentally misunderstood this metaphor. "Spread like a virus" means just that. It does not mean that a meme is a virus.

I think you've fundamentally misunderstood the words I typed; since at no point whatsoever did I say or imply otherwise.

I'd say liberal religion disproves that. Yes, I'm aware of Dawkins position on liberal religion acts to promote fundamentalist religion. Yes, this is a problem. But I have to weigh the benefits I get out of practising Syntheism with the cost of increased religiosity in general.

It doesn't disprove that. Even the most liberal of religions has nasty shit in it. Including nasty shit they actually believe as opposed to just relics from their less liberal days. Even liberal religion can and does inspire bad things.

I also find it less than obvious that an atheistic religion is likely to promote any kind of theistic fundamentalism.

You're too focused on theism/atheism. A cult that doesn't believe in a god but does believe in reincarnation and the notion that to stave off the fate of being reincarnated as a worm you need to hate gay people isn't a theistic cult... but it's still an evil cult that believes in supernatural nonsense. Gods are hardly the only nonsensical concepts in religions.

I've already made my position clear here. Let's agree to disagree. Just because religion is often blamed doesn't mean they did it. The real reason is always power and money.

Demonstrably false. It's an often made claim, but not one with a lot of substance to it. Sure, it's certainly true that there have been conflicts in the past where religion has served as a nice cover for the act of seizing land and resources (although one would have a hard time using it as a cover in the first place if the peasants and footsoldiers didn't go along with it because they genuinely believed in the stated religious reasons). It's ALSO true however, that there have been more than a few conflicts that come down entirely to religious inspiration. There's also a bit of occam's razor to consider here. What's simpler? That there's always some conspiracy where people aren't really fighting the heathens, heretics and pagans for the glory of god as they claim to be... or that every now and then people actually DO bash other people's heads in because they genuinely believe the heretic bastard needed to die? It is unreasonable to state that the real reason for conflict is always x and never y.

Speak for yourself :) I'm not wired in the head like that. Silly is always silly.

I'm not speaking for myself. It's a pretty universal bit of human psychology. Repetition and community reinforcement is the very reason why we don't dismiss many of our society's customs as utterly insane. The only reason people don't think it absurd to wear a literal noose around their neck is because of community reinforcement, for example. So yes, of course you're wired in the head like that. And if you want to understand how this works, you just need to look back to what you originally wrote: That what you were doing seemed silly to you, until "the magic" happened and it stopped feeling silly. You may think this is because you just found the right mix at that point... but what really happened is that you found *a* mix that only worked after you'd already gone and done almost the exact same thing many times before with a small community to reinforce the behavior. Had you started with the exact mix you eventually settled on... it would have felt just as silly as whatever you started out with instead.

That's what I meant when I say that if you do a silly thing enough times, it will stop seeming silly.

That's not how philosophy works. Philosophers are a belligerent lot. Philosophers always cut each other to threads. That's just to be expected. That's happened to every philosopher who has ever published anything. The fact that other philosophers at all take the time to critique him is in itself praise of the strengths of his ideas.

Wat.

No. It isn't. It really isn't.

The fact that others take the time to critique an idea is NOT praise of the strengths of said idea; it's praise only of the fact that the idea has been brought to their attention at all and isn't immediately dismissed out of hand. What an utterly absurd and psychotic world we would live in if one's ideas and arguments were given credence solely by virtue of the fact that people disagree with them. That's the claim/mentality of a crank inventor who claims to have made a perpetual motion machine only to find all the scientists and engineers come out to explain to him in detail why he's an uneducated moron.

How does that strengthen your argument. There are more peasants than rich people. Even when the shift of power in religion is bottom up some peasants are still more likely to be pagan longer than the all of the elite. This is just Gaussian distribution.

who said it was meant to strengthen anything? You claimed that the elites were among the last who converted. I pointed out this simply wasn't true. I wasn't trying to make some greater point, just correcting a mistaken claim.

I think you'll find the scientific method is a bit more than a meme; as its retention IS based on utility.

And I didn't claim that meme = bad.

I'm not going to have another argument with you about definitions. Sure, you believe that if it makes you happy.

I'd say liberal religion disproves that. Yes, I'm aware of Dawkins position on liberal religion acts to promote fundamentalist religion. Yes, this is a problem. But I have to weigh the benefits I get out of practising Syntheism with the cost of increased religiosity in general.

It doesn't disprove that. Even the most liberal of religions has nasty shit in it. Including nasty shit they actually believe as opposed to just relics from their less liberal days. Even liberal religion can and does inspire bad things.

Sure. But that's because people often are nasty. I've never claimed religion makes people better people. I don't believe that is what religion is for. Albeit, often claimed. I don't believe it. A person who belongs to a liberal religion can't blame anybody else but themselves for their opinions. Not even God. That's what the "liberal" is about.

I also find it less than obvious that an atheistic religion is likely to promote any kind of theistic fundamentalism.

You're too focused on theism/atheism. A cult that doesn't believe in a god but does believe in reincarnation and the notion that to stave off the fate of being reincarnated as a worm you need to hate gay people isn't a theistic cult... but it's still an evil cult that believes in supernatural nonsense. Gods are hardly the only nonsensical concepts in religions.

To me supernaturalism is included in the theism/atheism divide. I don't think an atheist can believe in reincarnation... or anything magical. Again... it's a matter of definition. You're welcome to define theism, atheism and supernaturalism any way you want. Whatever makes you happy.

Demonstrably false. It's an often made claim, but not one with a lot of substance to it. Sure, it's certainly true that there have been conflicts in the past where religion has served as a nice cover for the act of seizing land and resources (although one would have a hard time using it as a cover in the first place if the peasants and footsoldiers didn't go along with it because they genuinely believed in the stated religious reasons). It's ALSO true however, that there have been more than a few conflicts that come down entirely to religious inspiration. There's also a bit of occam's razor to consider here. What's simpler? That there's always some conspiracy where people aren't really fighting the heathens, heretics and pagans for the glory of god as they claim to be... or that every now and then people actually DO bash other people's heads in because they genuinely believe the heretic bastard needed to die? It is unreasonable to state that the real reason for conflict is always x and never y.

What could possibly be a simpler explanation than Person A wants Person B's shit but doesn't want to come across as a thief so he blames an external third party (who can't defend itself?

I don't believe there has been a single conflict that is down to religious inspiration. Not even partly. I think it's all power and money. Some of it is arguably the excitement of adventure. Young people often do stupid shit just for the thrill of it. I believe that's what all these kids joining ISIS is about. When I was young those exact same (Swedish) kind of kids instead travelled to Croatia to work as mercenaries. A generation later it was joining various Anti-G8 riots. Riot-tourism even sprung up as an expression. Today it's ISIS. Same shit. Only the excuses change.

I'm not speaking for myself. It's a pretty universal bit of human psychology. Repetition and community reinforcement is the very reason why we don't dismiss many of our society's customs as utterly insane. The only reason people don't think it absurd to wear a literal noose around their neck is because of community reinforcement, for example. So yes, of course you're wired in the head like that. And if you want to understand how this works, you just need to look back to what you originally wrote: That what you were doing seemed silly to you, until "the magic" happened and it stopped feeling silly. You may think this is because you just found the right mix at that point... but what really happened is that you found *a* mix that only worked after you'd already gone and done almost the exact same thing many times before with a small community to reinforce the behavior. Had you started with the exact mix you eventually settled on... it would have felt just as silly as whatever you started out with instead.

That's what I meant when I say that if you do a silly thing enough times, it will stop seeming silly.

I still feel like a dork when I sing at the Syntheist mass. But then again, I feel like a dork when singing alone. I always have.

Last edited:
Sure. But that's because people often are nasty. I've never claimed religion makes people better people. I don't believe that is what religion is for. Albeit, often claimed. I don't believe it. A person who belongs to a liberal religion can't blame anybody else but themselves for their opinions. Not even God. That's what the "liberal" is about.

For someone who doesn't want to argue about definitions, you have an odd habit of throwing definitions out there that require an argumentative response. In the above example, that is *not* what the 'liberal' in liberal religion is about. A liberal form of a religion is just a (however slightly) more progressive interpretation of said religion. If for example a core tenet of a given religion is to stone gay people to death; then a subsect of that religion which instead believes that it's important to stone them to near-death instead would be considered liberal by comparison. "Liberal" religion does NOT imply that its adherents can't blame anybody else but themselves for their opinions, it merely implies (but doesn't guarantee) a greater deal of consideration given to such things.

To me supernaturalism is included in the theism/atheism divide. I don't think an atheist can believe in reincarnation... or anything magical. Again... it's a matter of definition. You're welcome to define theism, atheism and supernaturalism any way you want. Whatever makes you happy.

Atheism, from Atheos = Without God. Supernaturalism is NOT included in any formal definition of atheism because atheism; like theism, concerns itself solely with god. Buddhists, depending on the branch, are atheists. They also believe in reincarnation. These are not mutually exclusive positions to hold, regardless of your personal inability to comprehend the proper definition of words.

What could possibly be a simpler explanation than Person A wants Person B's shit but doesn't want to come across as a thief so he blames an external third party (who can't defend itself?

You are proposing an *additional* layer to the actions and motivations of Person A; which ADDS complexity instead of subtracting it.

The simpler explanation is that Person A's stated religious motivations are in fact his only motivations.

Furthermore, your proposed universal motivation falls apart the moment you understand that there have been plenty of cases where conflict occurs without the usurping of territory, wealth, or power. Compare it to just regular old murder. Does it make sense to say that ALL murder is committed over wealth or power? Obviously they're not. A murder where the victim is left flushed with cash is obviously not one committed over money. Murder happens for all sorts of reason: Power and money yes. Also passion. Hatred. Jealousy. And yes, religious beliefs and delusions as well. There are countless possible motivations for murder, only some of which are as trite as power or money.

The problem with actual wars and societal conflicts, is that people seem to have difficulty accepting that the very basest of human emotions can start such conflicts. People want to understand history in a way that has it make 'sense'. It is, to most people, more comforting to believe that a great war was started over 'rational' reasons like the expansion of territory. The thought that thousands or even millions of people can die because the people who give the orders could be as crazy as the schizophrenic preacher on the corner of the street is terrifying; which is why we instinctively shy away from such thinking. Nonetheless; there have surely been madmen in power. Kings and emperors who genuinely believed in whatever religious mania was the flavor of the day, and who could order scores of men to die at their command (especially if said religious mania was popular among the masses as well)

It is absurd to propose that conflict must always be driven by x. The human race and its history are not quite so rigidly structured.

There's also a serious spiritual side to this. I like religious devotion and worship. I think all us in Syntheism appreciate the deeper and spiritual side of religion. But when we explore this it's without the woo. We've got a weekly Syntheistic yoga class. It's yoga without the New Age bullshit. The teacher is awesome. He's spent more time studying human physiology and biomechanics than how to align chakras.

What is left of religious devotion and worship when you remove the object of both from the equation? What does "the deeper and spiritual side of religion" mean for someone who acknowledges there is no god?

I wish you all the best in your endeavors with this, but it doesn't sit well with my personal temperament. I would even go so far as to say it repulses me, actually much more than theistic religions do. At least when believers get together and praise the lord, their mistaken belief provides a coherent basis for this behavior. When god is gone and one faces the "cold, pitiless indifference" that characterizes the universe we inhabit, I'm having a difficult time grasping why anybody would bow to that. It has taken me some time to come around to understanding this (10 years ago, as a newly liberated atheist, I would have cheerily signed up for Syntheism), but the plain fact about the universe is that we're not wanted here. It makes no effort to accommodate us and every moment hastens our exit. The only reasonable response I can muster, having finally realized the misfortune of my position, is to give a big "fuck you too!" back to the cosmos and go about my business.

People who think they'll be reunited in bliss with their creator after death are surely delusional, which ironically makes their acts of worship more palatable to me as an outsider. But to reject all that as nonsense on the one hand while embracing its incessant thank you's and how glorious thou art's is to miss an obvious truth: worship itself, not belief in god, is the deeper delusion of the two. A believer who refuses to pay respects to his cruel maker is more rational than the atheist who still kneels and kisses the earth. My gut reaction is to say, Duke Leto is smarter than that. But I don't know you, and I may not be smart enough to understand your philosophy.

Wow. I think what you just said is going to stick with me for awhile. I can definitely relate with you. All-of-it!

I don't want to steal the fire from this thread. Maybe, only if you're up to it, you could PM me about how you stop yourself from giving up. What is the point of living? I only ask because I have found you to be a thoughtful person.

BTW, I am generally a happy guy.

If anybody remembers, three years ago me a some friends founded a new religion, Syntheism. We've slowly but steadily grown from from guys in a flat to nearly two thousand members. We've got religious services, festivals and everything. Next week we're signing the contract for the first Syntheist church of Stockholm. They've already got one in Gothemburg. So it's not the first in Sweden. One of our group (who's day job is to be a philosopher) wrote a book on Syntheist philosophy/theology and made it available on-line for free.

http://syntheism.ope.rs/Syntheism/Syntheism.html#ch01

This is a religion for atheists. It's got everything any other religion has except a god, or any claims to be the holders of any kind of ultimate truth. Obviously it's not for all atheists. It's only for those atheists who would like to join a religion, but who, due to their atheism, can't.

Enjoy!

I should add that Syntheism is a very novel idea and it will probably be on my mind for quite awhile as well.

See? This is why I came here.

For someone who doesn't want to argue about definitions, you have an odd habit of throwing definitions out there that require an argumentative response. In the above example, that is *not* what the 'liberal' in liberal religion is about. A liberal form of a religion is just a (however slightly) more progressive interpretation of said religion. If for example a core tenet of a given religion is to stone gay people to death; then a subsect of that religion which instead believes that it's important to stone them to near-death instead would be considered liberal by comparison. "Liberal" religion does NOT imply that its adherents can't blame anybody else but themselves for their opinions, it merely implies (but doesn't guarantee) a greater deal of consideration given to such things.

Actually it does. That's Stephen Weinberg's famous critique of religion. Either you think the religion espouses positive values to take after or you don't. If you require any kind of filter between the holy text and yourself, the holy text is irrelevant. It's the filter that sets the agenda in it's entirety. For the liberal the holy text is reduced to nothing but an empty fetish. Weinberg's argument is that if you're going to be religious, be a fundamentalist or don't bother. That assumes that the point of joining the religion is because it teaches us to be better people somehow (which I don't btw).

Arguably the same can actually be said about fundamentalism as well. Nobody would belong to a fundamentalist sect unless they already shared the values before joining. And they wouldn't stay in the sect unless they kept sharing those beliefs. Which is Socrates argument in the Euthyphro dilemma. Values doesn't come from religion and never has. Socrates/Plato proved as much in antiquity. As far as I'm concerned that argument is still as watertight as ever.

Gay hating fundamentalists may blame the Bible for their hate, but they can't. They're just douchebags, all on their own. They're getting no help from the Bible.

Atheism, from Atheos = Without God. Supernaturalism is NOT included in any formal definition of atheism because atheism; like theism, concerns itself solely with god. Buddhists, depending on the branch, are atheists. They also believe in reincarnation. These are not mutually exclusive positions to hold, regardless of your personal inability to comprehend the proper definition of words.

Agree to disagree.

You are proposing an *additional* layer to the actions and motivations of Person A; which ADDS complexity instead of subtracting it.

The simpler explanation is that Person A's stated religious motivations are in fact his only motivations.

Just blaming religion explains nothing. You still need to explain why the religious motivation is motivating. It has to connect to some base physical or psychological need. It doesn't follow logically from your premise.

Furthermore, your proposed universal motivation falls apart the moment you understand that there have been plenty of cases where conflict occurs without the usurping of territory, wealth, or power.

I'm listening.

Compare it to just regular old murder. Does it make sense to say that ALL murder is committed over wealth or power? Obviously they're not. A murder where the victim is left flushed with cash is obviously not one committed over money. Murder happens for all sorts of reason: Power and money yes. Also passion. Hatred. Jealousy. And yes, religious beliefs and delusions as well. There are countless possible motivations for murder, only some of which are as trite as power or money.

I can't see how this comparison holds up. Murder isn't war. A war isn't just a collection of murders. They have virtually nothing in common. Also, never religious motivated IMHO.

The problem with actual wars and societal conflicts, is that people seem to have difficulty accepting that the very basest of human emotions can start such conflicts. People want to understand history in a way that has it make 'sense'. It is, to most people, more comforting to believe that a great war was started over 'rational' reasons like the expansion of territory. The thought that thousands or even millions of people can die because the people who give the orders could be as crazy as the schizophrenic preacher on the corner of the street is terrifying; which is why we instinctively shy away from such thinking. Nonetheless; there have surely been madmen in power. Kings and emperors who genuinely believed in whatever religious mania was the flavor of the day, and who could order scores of men to die at their command (especially if said religious mania was popular among the masses as well)

Simply wanting other people's stuff is about as base a reason as it gets. You don't need to be a genius to do the maths of war. Nobody has ever made a profit from being an aggressor in any war. It has to do with compound interest. Even a terrible peace is in almost all cases preferable economically to any war (for the society as a whole). So going to war is rarely rational to begin with. Yet, I believe that the main driver of war is just wanting other people's stuff. It's the logical fallacy of, the-less-you-have-the-more-I-have. But then again, humans are irrationally fixated with comparative wealth. So I think it makes perfect sense.

It is absurd to propose that conflict must always be driven by x. The human race and its history are not quite so rigidly structured.

I'm just reporting on what I think Occam's Razor is telling me. Your razor is just telling you different things. So let's agree to disagree.

Actually it does. That's Stephen Weinberg's famous critique of religion. Either you think the religion espouses positive values to take after or you don't. If you require any kind of filter between the holy text and yourself, the holy text is irrelevant. It's the filter that sets the agenda in it's entirety. For the liberal the holy text is reduced to nothing but an empty fetish. Weinberg's argument is that if you're going to be religious, be a fundamentalist or don't bother. That assumes that the point of joining the religion is because it teaches us to be better people somehow (which I don't btw).

Once again, this is simply not a correct understanding of the term "liberal" when applied to religion (or anything else). It doesn't particularly matter what Weinberg or anyone else says about one needing to be a fundamentalist or don't bother (I kind of agree, actually). What matters is that the word "liberal" means "favorable to progress or reform, especially in the pursuit of rights of the individual". It does *not* mean "doesn't believe in x" (x in this case being religious precepts or dogma). A religion's holy text is NOT reduced to "nothing but an empty fetish" for a liberal member of that religion. The text still forms the foundation of their beliefs to varying degrees. A liberal theist may reject parts of the text, or interpret them in a non-literal manner; but this does not mean the text is not at the root of the theist's beliefs.

Yes, the non-fundamentalist theist has a "filter" that interprets the holy text... but when you claim that therefore the holy text is irrelevant, you're failing to realize that what is filtered all comes FROM the holy text. If I pour a substance through a filter for the purposes of cooking a meal from the filtered out material, my meal is STILL informed and determined by the original substance; even if I've filtered out 90% of it. A liberal theist who interprets (ie; filters) a holy text according to his own standards, is nonetheless still beholden to the holy text and its precepts. Just less so than the fundamentalist.

Arguably the same can actually be said about fundamentalism as well. Nobody would belong to a fundamentalist sect unless they already shared the values before joining.

Yes, I suppose people who've been in a fundamentalist sect since the day they were born already shared those values before joining. Don't be absurd. Just because people join religions and organizations because they already share their values, *does not* mean that there aren't also people who only adopt those values *after* joining. People join organizations and religions for all sorts of reasons, even when they don't believe in their values; and they are then often manipulated/conditioned into becoming part of the herd. Again, you seem to make absolute all-encompassing statements that just don't make a lot of sense when you examine the issue a little.

And they wouldn't stay in the sect unless they kept sharing those beliefs.

Another absolute statement that may sound reasonable at first but turns absurd once examined just a little. People stay in cults/sects/religions all the time without sharing the values and beliefs. One would have to be quite ignorant of other people's experiences with religions and cults to think that nobody stays a member without sharing the beliefs. There are countless accounts of people at all levels of these communities, staying a member of their given group even when disagreeing with all of their values and beliefs. It isn't hard to find an account of a priest who comes to realize he doesn't believe in god or the morality of the church, but still decides to keep on being a priest and pretending he believes just because that's all he really knows. There's a plethora of accounts from people who have stayed for years, even decades, in cults despite not believing anymore. They've done so for any number of reasons: defeatism and apathy, threats of sanctions from the cult leadership, fear, ties to the other members, etc etc.

Which is Socrates argument in the Euthyphro dilemma. Values doesn't come from religion and never has. Socrates/Plato proved as much in antiquity. As far as I'm concerned that argument is still as watertight as ever.

That is actually not what the Dilemma is about. It doesn't deal so much with whether or not a person's morality can be fully informed by external means (ie; adopting it from a book); but with whether or not a thing is moral because it is dictated by god, or because it is moral in and of itself. It is an irrelevant question in regards to what I'm talking about, since I'm arguing about whether or not a person's beliefs/morality are solely their own, or whether they can be formed (either fully or partially) by others. I am not concerned with whether or not the beliefs/morals are valid and what makes them valid.

Gay hating fundamentalists may blame the Bible for their hate, but they can't. They're just douchebags, all on their own. They're getting no help from the Bible.

Once again, this simply doesn't make a great deal of sense once you think about it a little.

Sure, if Bob Fundie one day opens up the bible for the first time ever and reads about god hating gays, he will not suddenly start hating gay people unless he already did to begin with. However, now imagine another scenario.

Bob Fundie hates gay people to begin with, and he opens up the bible for the first time ever and finds that it supports his views. He converts. Surely this is a fine book that he must live his life by! He becomes a fundamentalist, and finds himself a fundamentalist wife. They have a child together, Jimmy Fundie. Now Jimmy Fundie, doesn't hate gay people. Jimmy is after all a kid, who doesn't even know what sex is yet. But he is raised with a fundamentalist interpretation of the bible. Every day, he is told that god is real and everything in the bible is true. It's repeated to him over and over and over and over. He doesn't really know anything else. Maybe at first he just humors his parents, but over time he starts genuinely believing. God is real to him, and the bible is true word for word. Jimmy has no reason to doubt what the bible says, because the bible is the word of god in whom he believes. The bible says to hate gay people. Jimmy has no reason to doubt the bible, but he doesn't necessarily know about gay people enough to hate them. Still, the bible says they're bad, so he becomes biased against them. Later on, as he starts exploring sexuality and adult life, he comes into contact with actual gay people and years of fundamentalist belief have made him very prejudiced against them. Now, it is possible for the gay people to prove him wrong, but then again it's well known that people with strong biases respond to being proven wrong by actually doubling down on their beliefs. More than likely, exposure to gay people will just make him even more prejudiced against them.

Clearly, while Jimmy's views are not derived solely from the bible; the bible played a huge role in his formative years and the beliefs and biases he has later in life.

Agree to disagree.

No, that is a cop-out excuse people throw up when they can't effectively argue their case. Furthermore, I am not inclined to 'agree to disagree' when it comes to objective facts. I will not agree to disagree with someone who only drinks pepsi because he thinks water will kill him on account of the tiny evil fairies that live in water molecules. I would sooner force a glass of water down his throat than I would agree to disagree with him. The definition of atheism as being one that deals solely with the belief in god is not something that's up for grabs; it is an objective fact.

Just blaming religion explains nothing. You still need to explain why the religious motivation is motivating. It has to connect to some base physical or psychological need. It doesn't follow logically from your premise.

You're missing the point. I never claimed that religion magically goes from "religion say x" to "theist does x". I merely stated that religion can and often times *is* at the root of the chain. Human beings are easily manipulated, even through non-consciously driven events, into action. Like a child hiding under the blanket because he's afraid a ghost will get him when the lights go out. Is it the dark that causes this behavior? Or is it the uncertainty of what is in the dark that drives the fear? It doesn't fucking matter, since either way it doesn't happen without the dark.

I'm listening.

Open a history book on religious conflict. Particularly involving persecution of religious minorities. For example, where was the usurpation of power, wealth, or territory in the medieval persecution of Jews? This persecution was after all, not aimed at rich jews (who were generally more insulated from it) but rather the poor. Poor jews in medieval Europe had neither power, nor wealth, or even territory. What they did have was religiously driven suspicion of them. Or look at civil wars where religious allegiance played an important role, or wars like the Schmalkaldic war, or the Eighty year war, or any number of such wars. These conflicts were often started (either in part or in full) because of religious differences; and while powerful individuals and groups may have seized opportunities that came with such conflicts for personal gail, the conflicts themselves were clearly caused by religious factionalism.

I can't see how this comparison holds up. Murder isn't war. A war isn't just a collection of murders. They have virtually nothing in common. Also, never religious motivated IMHO.

War is just murder on a grander scale. Murder is a crime by one individual against another; War is a crime by one state against another. You only seem to understand war as the purview of rational agents; of a "nation" deciding through rational means whether to try to risk a war that could either lose or gain them more resources. The reality is that wars are generally started by *individuals*. And individuals are extraordinarly flawed creatures. Millions of people throughout history have died because some king or prince felt slighted by a diplomatic faux pas. Countless have died because some emperor thought he was a living god whom should be worshipped by all known people.

Wars are often started for irrational reasons. You're confusing opportunism with intent. You see a religious war and people profiting from it and you assume that profit was the intent all along. This is a mistake.

Simply wanting other people's stuff is about as base a reason as it gets.

Yes. It is a very common reason for war. It is not, however, the only reason.

You don't need to be a genius to do the maths of war. Nobody has ever made a profit from being an aggressor in any war.

Being Dutch, I can guarantee you that this is simply not true. My country got fabulously wealthy from being the aggressor in more wars than the history books care to count. Being the aggressor is extremely profitable, just so long as the defender is incapable of putting up a serious fight.

Once again, this is simply not a correct understanding of the term "liberal" when applied to religion (or anything else). It doesn't particularly matter what Weinberg or anyone else says about one needing to be a fundamentalist or don't bother (I kind of agree, actually). What matters is that the word "liberal" means "favorable to progress or reform, especially in the pursuit of rights of the individual". It does *not* mean "doesn't believe in x" (x in this case being religious precepts or dogma). A religion's holy text is NOT reduced to "nothing but an empty fetish" for a liberal member of that religion. The text still forms the foundation of their beliefs to varying degrees. A liberal theist may reject parts of the text, or interpret them in a non-literal manner; but this does not mean the text is not at the root of the theist's beliefs.

Yes, the non-fundamentalist theist has a "filter" that interprets the holy text... but when you claim that therefore the holy text is irrelevant, you're failing to realize that what is filtered all comes FROM the holy text. If I pour a substance through a filter for the purposes of cooking a meal from the filtered out material, my meal is STILL informed and determined by the original substance; even if I've filtered out 90% of it. A liberal theist who interprets (ie; filters) a holy text according to his own standards, is nonetheless still beholden to the holy text and its precepts. Just less so than the fundamentalist.

Again... you're confusing the metaphor with reality. The metaphor is just a simplification to make a point. It's not an actual filter.

I recall an on-line discussion I had with a Jehova's Witness. For fun I joined an on-line Bible study hosted by Jehova's Witness. In the first lesson they interpreted a line in a way (I judged) as the exact opposite of what it actually read. I asked the basis for this complete contradictory interpretation. I was expecting some sort of analysis of the original Aramaic text or some context. Nope. It was something "the Governing body of Jehova's Witness" had decided after careful contemplation. That's fundamentalism in action.

Similarly. The Quranic text that is used to justify adulterers being stoned for adultery actually says something along the lines of they should be stoned, unless they admit what they did and repent. In which case they're let off with no punishment and forgiven. Ie, the exact opposite of what is actually happening in Islamic fundamentalist countries. The Sharia is full of this stuff.

I can barely see any connection between these holy texts and what is actually going on in fundamentalist Islam or fundamentalist Christianity. You'd have to squint really hard to make that case. I get the impression that these fundamentalist say that they're following these holy texts to the letter and then secularists accepts this as a fact without questioning it. I think it's obviously bullshit. There's a type of extreme conservative people who are drawn to fundamentalist movements and fundamentalist culture. But fundamentalist cultures seems divorced from the holy books they claim they use as the basis for their fundamentalism. There's something else going on her. Something way more sociologically interesting, as well as complex. I think the Quran could be exchanged for Winnie the Poo and ISIS would be going just as strong. I don't think anything would change. Nothing at all. If that's true for fundamentalism it's obviously true for liberal religion.

My own private theory on how ancient religious texts came about is that they were mirrors to society. They included ethical teachings already present and obligatory in that culture. But since they weren't written down people couldn't be sure whether their own values were universal. The point of writing them down (and to have a priest read them back to people) was simply as a receipt for the believer that this church shared their values (they already had). And this is still going on. I mean, the ten commandments... mostly just common sense stuff anybody would agree with. This theory is of course (by definition) due to the oral nature of it impossible to prove or disprove.

The faithful in any church simply expect getting their beliefs, they already hold, confirmed. There's also a lot of cherry picking and selective deafness. People only need to have a tiny part of any sermon to validate their beliefs, for them to neatly warp and morph the rest of the sermon to fit. Our innate psychological tendency for confirmation bias would support this. There's quite a lot of cognitive dissonance require before the faithful eventually lose interest.

That's why I believe that a religion might as well do away with moral and ethical teachings. As they serve no practical purpose in any religion other than just identity building. Identity can be built on many other ways, that aren't complete bollocks and lies. So I prefer to use those instead for Syntheism.

To reiterate, a dick head is a dick head regardless of religion. It's a non-factor.

Arguably the same can actually be said about fundamentalism as well. Nobody would belong to a fundamentalist sect unless they already shared the values before joining.

Yes, I suppose people who've been in a fundamentalist sect since the day they were born already shared those values before joining. Don't be absurd. Just because people join religions and organizations because they already share their values, *does not* mean that there aren't also people who only adopt those values *after* joining. People join organizations and religions for all sorts of reasons, even when they don't believe in their values; and they are then often manipulated/conditioned into becoming part of the herd. Again, you seem to make absolute all-encompassing statements that just don't make a lot of sense when you examine the issue a little.

Let's agree to disagree.

And they wouldn't stay in the sect unless they kept sharing those beliefs.

Another absolute statement that may sound reasonable at first but turns absurd once examined just a little. People stay in cults/sects/religions all the time without sharing the values and beliefs. One would have to be quite ignorant of other people's experiences with religions and cults to think that nobody stays a member without sharing the beliefs. There are countless accounts of people at all levels of these communities, staying a member of their given group even when disagreeing with all of their values and beliefs. It isn't hard to find an account of a priest who comes to realize he doesn't believe in god or the morality of the church, but still decides to keep on being a priest and pretending he believes just because that's all he really knows. There's a plethora of accounts from people who have stayed for years, even decades, in cults despite not believing anymore. They've done so for any number of reasons: defeatism and apathy, threats of sanctions from the cult leadership, fear, ties to the other members, etc etc.

Which would prove that values don't come from the religion? How aren't you just arguing against yourself now?

Which is Socrates argument in the Euthyphro dilemma. Values doesn't come from religion and never has. Socrates/Plato proved as much in antiquity. As far as I'm concerned that argument is still as watertight as ever.

That is actually not what the Dilemma is about. It doesn't deal so much with whether or not a person's morality can be fully informed by external means (ie; adopting it from a book); but with whether or not a thing is moral because it is dictated by god, or because it is moral in and of itself. It is an irrelevant question in regards to what I'm talking about, since I'm arguing about whether or not a person's beliefs/morality are solely their own, or whether they can be formed (either fully or partially) by others. I am not concerned with whether or not the beliefs/morals are valid and what makes them valid.

I think you're making irrelevant distinctions. Even if you're correct that still proves my point. Let's just agree to disagree.

Once again, this simply doesn't make a great deal of sense once you think about it a little.

Sure, if Bob Fundie one day opens up the bible for the first time ever and reads about god hating gays, he will not suddenly start hating gay people unless he already did to begin with. However, now imagine another scenario.

Bob Fundie hates gay people to begin with, and he opens up the bible for the first time ever and finds that it supports his views. He converts. Surely this is a fine book that he must live his life by! He becomes a fundamentalist, and finds himself a fundamentalist wife. They have a child together, Jimmy Fundie. Now Jimmy Fundie, doesn't hate gay people. Jimmy is after all a kid, who doesn't even know what sex is yet. But he is raised with a fundamentalist interpretation of the bible. Every day, he is told that god is real and everything in the bible is true. It's repeated to him over and over and over and over. He doesn't really know anything else. Maybe at first he just humors his parents, but over time he starts genuinely believing. God is real to him, and the bible is true word for word. Jimmy has no reason to doubt what the bible says, because the bible is the word of god in whom he believes. The bible says to hate gay people. Jimmy has no reason to doubt the bible, but he doesn't necessarily know about gay people enough to hate them. Still, the bible says they're bad, so he becomes biased against them. Later on, as he starts exploring sexuality and adult life, he comes into contact with actual gay people and years of fundamentalist belief have made him very prejudiced against them. Now, it is possible for the gay people to prove him wrong, but then again it's well known that people with strong biases respond to being proven wrong by actually doubling down on their beliefs. More than likely, exposure to gay people will just make him even more prejudiced against them.

Clearly, while Jimmy's views are not derived solely from the bible; the bible played a huge role in his formative years and the beliefs and biases he has later in life.

You make a logical argument. I have no issue with the line of reasoning. It's just that I don't think that's how it works. Clearly there's a connection between being religious and also being homophobic. I'm not denying that.

Before I make my case for how this works I should start by saying that I think homophobia is innate. I don't think there's anybody alive who hasn't wondered why they're attracted to the gender they're attracted to and unable to come up with an answer. We have a very strong urge to procreate as well as see our children procreate. That instinct is why our species exists at all. If we or our children are gay that's a threat to this ability. How do you or anybody know whether or not they'll turn gay tomorrow? This lack of knowledge can lead to fear, and fear often makes people lash out irrationally. They externalise an internal (perceived) enemy. I don't think gay hate is learned. I think gay tolerance is learned. And it has to continuously be re-enforced in a culture or we slide back to homophobia being the norm.

Ok, so how does this connect with religion? It connects to my theory on what religion is for. I think the point of the rituals and the community is to give emotional security. We're emotionally driven beings. It's important for us to be able to feel inward what our emotions is telling us. We can harden emotionally and refuse to feel inward. It can easily reach the point when we don't know our own emotions. That routinely happens to people who, in various ways, have been traumatised. And we all have gone through our share of shit. We're all on a continuous journey to work on ourselves and figure ourselves out. And that's the point of religion IMHO. I think that's the entire point of religion. It's to create an emotionally safe space (both psychologically and physically) where the believer can explore their emotions (without fear of being attacked for them). I think it's as simple as that. I guess, it's a kind of cheap man's therapy. I think it is it's ONLY function. And I think it's benefit to everybody. Maybe not for society as a whole. But certainly on a personal level. The vast majority of the teachings of any holy book is tips and tricks for emotional management given various social situations. I don't think that's a coincidence

Like I've said before, religion is a tool. Tools can be good or bad. Bad religions will re-enforce our most basic fears we all have. The simplest way to make people feel respected, listened to and secure (all of which makes us relax and open up emotionally) is to simply ape back to them whatever they're saying. To re-enforce what their heart is telling them is true. I think that's the only reason why fundamentalism is so homophobic. It is the simplest and dumbest form of religion. That's why it's in the Bible. Both the Quran and the Bible is created for populations of both smart and stupid people. So some of it is deep, profound and clever while some of it is stupid. That's what I meant with holy books being a menu the believer can freely pick from.

Good religion understands it's limitations. It's more honest about what we don't know. That's why liberal religion tends to be more tolerant and forgiving. It's more vague on the big question, less cocksure. It's more careful with re-enforcing hateful or purely negative emotions. It also tends to accept and understand that all religions have the same function and are on the same journey. I don't think there's any contradiction between religious leaders holding hands and wanting people to be more tolerate of each other, in spite of them teaching theologically incompatible dogmas calling for each other's destruction. No theology makes any sense anyway. This kind of a behaviour only makes sense unless you look at religious beliefs as about something other than what it says on the pages of their holy books.

Here's a concrete example; The Bhagavad Gita can be boiled down to the Lord Krishna being Arjuna's therapist on the battle-field. THe book is Arjuna, in succession, questioning every possible reason to keep fighting in this battle. The cynic might look at this and say that Arjuna is having the jitters. He's afraid to die and he's having a brain fart and unless he gets his act together he IS going to be killed (and lose the battle). Krishna swoops in to set him straight and help him deal with his conflicted emotions. Nobody is a good soldier (or good at anything) if they're not emotionally together. And that's the point of, not only Bhagavid Ghita, or Hinduism, but religion as a whole IMHO.

Agree to disagree.

No, that is a cop-out excuse people throw up when they can't effectively argue their case. Furthermore, I am not inclined to 'agree to disagree' when it comes to objective facts. I will not agree to disagree with someone who only drinks pepsi because he thinks water will kill him on account of the tiny evil fairies that live in water molecules. I would sooner force a glass of water down his throat than I would agree to disagree with him. The definition of atheism as being one that deals solely with the belief in god is not something that's up for grabs; it is an objective fact.

This thread is about Syntheism. I've explained Syntheism using words as I understand them, using those definitions. When you've asked I've explained my definitions. Instead of you then trying to understand my point you continuously just go on to squabble about definitions and how you think I'm using them wrongly. That's just arguing for the sake of arguing. It ads nothing to this discussion and is boring. I've explained that to me rejection of all supernaturalism is included in the term atheism. Whether or not you agree with my definition is beside the point. We disagree on this. It doesn't matter. The important thing is that we understand each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

You're missing the point. I never claimed that religion magically goes from "religion say x" to "theist does x". I merely stated that religion can and often times *is* at the root of the chain. Human beings are easily manipulated, even through non-consciously driven events, into action. Like a child hiding under the blanket because he's afraid a ghost will get him when the lights go out. Is it the dark that causes this behavior? Or is it the uncertainty of what is in the dark that drives the fear? It doesn't fucking matter, since either way it doesn't happen without the dark.

The point is Occam's Razor. You brought it up. I merely pointed out that your explanation is more complicated than thievery. Yes, people are gullible and easily manipulated. I'm not disputing that.

I'm listening.
Open a history book on religious conflict. Particularly involving persecution of religious minorities.

The conflict can almost almost always be traced to a class conflict. If not a class conflict, an ethnic conflict. Religions or sects tend to be class, or ethnic specific. This brings in money and power as a motivation, which makes a lot more sense IMHO. Both the Bible and the Quran constantly prattle on about the importance of forgiveness (as does every holy text that has ever been written). Which makes holy books an unlikely candidate as the source for conflict. Unless of course nobody cares about holy books, which defeats your argument.

For example, where was the usurpation of power, wealth, or territory in the medieval persecution of Jews? This persecution was after all, not aimed at rich jews (who were generally more insulated from it) but rather the poor. Poor jews in medieval Europe had neither power, nor wealth, or even territory. What they did have was religiously driven suspicion of them. Or look at civil wars where religious allegiance played an important role, or wars like the Schmalkaldic war, or the Eighty year war, or any number of such wars. These conflicts were often started (either in part or in full) because of religious differences; and while powerful individuals and groups may have seized opportunities that came with such conflicts for personal gail, the conflicts themselves were clearly caused by religious factionalism.

There's an even larger group of people you're ignoring. The poor, dispossessed and unaffiliated. It's better to be Jewish than to be nothing. Which was their only option. A converted Jew was still a Jew in the eyes of the Medieval European Christians. They had rarely anything to gain by converting. That said, identity was pretty fluid as the genetic evidence shows. Ashkenhazi Jews don't have a single drop of Semitic blood in their veins. This has been extensively studied. Over time the Jewish European diaspora got utterly and completely wiped out genetically, while the ethnic group numbered in their millions. So obviously there was a lot of extra-marital activity going on between Jews and gentiles.

In a world with zero government welfare available family was everything. And if not family then church.

War is just murder on a grander scale. Murder is a crime by one individual against another; War is a crime by one state against another.

Ehe... what? They're opposite activities. One is socially sanctioned the other is frowned upon to the extreme. A soldier is a hero. A murderer is not. Apart from both leading to death they have absolutely zero in common.

You only seem to understand war as the purview of rational agents; of a "nation" deciding through rational means whether to try to risk a war that could either lose or gain them more resources. The reality is that wars are generally started by *individuals*. And individuals are extraordinarly flawed creatures. Millions of people throughout history have died because some king or prince felt slighted by a diplomatic faux pas. Countless have died because some emperor thought he was a living god whom should be worshipped by all known people.

The "great man" reading of history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Man_theory

An utterly and completely discredited way to interpret history. Today we're more convinced by various materialistic theories of historical reading. Karl Marx being the first and most famous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_materialism

Bottom line, great leaders haven't historically really had that much power. The range of possible activities are in reality very small. If a leader goes against the will of the people he will inevitably be replaced. Those critical historical events we tend to blame great calamities on aren't really. Sure, the murder for Franz Ferdinand led to WWI. But the political situation of continental Europe at the time meant that sooner or later WWI would have happened, pretty much as it actually happened. Regardless of which event set it all in motion.

Great empires are built upon technological or social innovations. As far as the countries in which these innovations spring (or their leaders) from are concerned it's completely random.

The British Empire was a direct result of the Industrial revolution. The power of the British Industrial revolution sprung simply from the fact that they had their coal deposits close to the sea. That is the only and complete explanation of British Imperial might. It was the introduction of the railway that ended British dominance. Coal could now be transported over land just as efficiently.

The Roman Empire was built on the social innovation that the conquering nation can be more than just a leech parasiting off the conquered. Rome made sure that being conquered by Rome was a good thing for them. Especially for infrastructure and trade. The reality was that most non-Roman subjects were better off under the Roman thumb than they had been when "free". This was not a Roman idea. This was a Greek innovation. But Greece did not have a central government. So they couldn't utilise it as the basis for an empire. Pretty much anybody else around the Mediterranean could. If it hadn't been the Romans, it would have been somebody else. The result would have been the same. The Carthaginians certainly tried.

The Napoleonic empire was the result of conscription. A very stupidly simple yet powerful social innovation. It was just that nobody had thought using conscription in the way that Napoleon did before. It exploited citizenship which in turn exploited nationalistic republicanism. That idea as well as plenty others (standardisation for example, as well as conservation of food in tin cans) was the result of the French Enlightenment. Not Napoleon. If it hadn't been Napoleon it would have been some other French dude. The other monarchies couldn't have utilised conscription of the French model before significant social reforms. Which they then promptly instituted as soon as they could.

Bottom line. Random events in history are just random. Great men are more

Wars are often started for irrational reasons. You're confusing opportunism with intent. You see a religious war and people profiting from it and you assume that profit was the intent all along. This is a mistake.

It's not intentionality. It's social tipping points. When a tipping points are been reached almost anything will make it happen. Usually it involves something that is later identified as a key decision. But in hind-sight, if it hadn't been that person it'd be someone else. While on the topic. It's memes. Not that we agree on the definition. But this is meme theory. Once an idea is invented, purely at random, they then spread.

Simply wanting other people's stuff is about as base a reason as it gets.

Yes. It is a very common reason for war. It is not, however, the only reason.

I didn't say it was. But I think it's the only reason for aggressive war. The Iraq invasion of Kuwait, for example. Or the Iraq invasion of Iran for that matter.

You don't need to be a genius to do the maths of war. Nobody has ever made a profit from being an aggressor in any war.

Being Dutch, I can guarantee you that this is simply not true. My country got fabulously wealthy from being the aggressor in more wars than the history books care to count. Being the aggressor is extremely profitable, just so long as the defender is incapable of putting up a serious fight.

Point well made. You, Sir are correct and I was wrong. I didn't think of that aspect. But it's still the same basic motivator for war. The goal of the Dutch trade empire was to enrich the Dutch. Not by taking it from the natives, but because of they wanted the resources for trade. Getting rich was still the prime motivator. Religion was still a non-factor.

http://www.vice.com/read/can-an-open-source-religion-work-456

I was thinking the exact same thing as this article:

Magic can't exist when you know what the magician's doing. Syntheism is trying to make some without a magician at all.

I have to agree with O'Leary. This idea of a religion with no central beliefs, no hierarchy, no rationalizations, it doesn't sound any more sustainable than an anarchist state. In the long run, I expect that as numbers of Syntheists grow, sub-groups will develop their own shared beliefs and hierarchies, becoming something more concrete. That is, if Syntheism ever gets large enough in the first place.

Maybe Syntheism is only for people of a certain personality type, people who are comfortable just turning off the rational, analytical part of the brain and jumping into a bizarre new pattern of behavior without a rational pretext for doing so, other than the vague expectation that it'll be fun or address their "spiritual" needs. I know there are a lot of people more impulsive than I, but I have to wonder how many are impulsive enough to try Syntheism instead of joining some other sort of group which actually has some sort of focus.

Magic can't exist when you know what the magician's doing. Syntheism is trying to make some without a magician at all.

I've never believed in magic, so I have nothing to compare with. I was raised an atheist and have always been an atheist. But the fact that Christians cry at a funeral, I think, proves to me that Christians also are aware that there is no god or heaven. At least on a deep/subconscious level. If Christianity works for Christians, in spite of this, then of course Syntheism can work for Syntheists. That's my hypothesis anyway. It certainly works for me. But like I said. This is the first religion I've ever been a member of. So I have nothing to compare with.

I have to agree with O'Leary. This idea of a religion with no central beliefs, no hierarchy, no rationalizations, it doesn't sound any more sustainable than an anarchist state. In the long run, I expect that as numbers of Syntheists grow, sub-groups will develop their own shared beliefs and hierarchies, becoming something more concrete. That is, if Syntheism ever gets large enough in the first place.

That is actually what we want. That was the stated goal with Syntheism all along. We want people to join us, find their crew and leave us. And set up their own thing. We've even a guide for how to do such a thing on our home-page. As far as we're concerned the more atheistic religion the better. It gives more choices. Choice is good. This is regardless if it springs from Syntheism, or is it's own thing altogether. The church we now have (not opened yet) will be entirely self sustaining. None of the finances will come from Syntheist congregation members. Services will still be free.

Maybe Syntheism is only for people of a certain personality type, people who are comfortable just turning off the rational, analytical part of the brain and jumping into a bizarre new pattern of behavior without a rational pretext for doing so, other than the vague expectation that it'll be fun or address their "spiritual" needs. I know there are a lot of people more impulsive than I, but I have to wonder how many are impulsive enough to try Syntheism instead of joining some other sort of group which actually has some sort of focus.

I have honestly no idea what kind of people will be attracted to Syntheism. My impression so far is that it's plenty of arty types. We've got loads of artists, actors, dancers and theatre people. The other big group is highly successful careerists with emotional issues. I belong to the second category. It's people who are bored with the emptiness of consumerism in spite of being at the top of the ladder. These are the two major identifiable groups I can see. The theme running through it all is that everybody is very intellectual. But I expect that is mandatory in order to develop any interest in something like this.

As far as alternatives. Well.. this is Sweden. Religion is dead here. Virtually all Swedes are atheists. So if you're an atheist with an interest in religion there are no other options other than Syntheism. We're pretty much on virgin territory. Monopoly is a dirty word... but that's us.

I've never believed in magic, so I have nothing to compare with.

By "magic", I refer to the sorts of illusions that stage magicians perform. People generally know and consciously acknowledge that they're illusions, but that doesn't prevent them from being amazed when they watch them. What stops them from being genuinely amazed is showing them an illusion from an angle that makes it clear how the illusion is being achieved.

Personally, I hate stage magic, but I've experienced this effect with regards to fiction. In fact, going back to something you said earlier:

So I take it you never enjoy movies or read books because you know it's all make-believe? I mean... how could a film possibly be exciting if it's not real?

If a film is doing its job, you aren't actually thinking about the fact that it's not real, because your attention is directed elsewhere. Maybe you, DrZoidberg, can consciously control this selective attention at will, but for a lot of us, it's a semi-voluntary process at best. And some of us seem to need the analytical portion of our mind to be extra engaged, or else it sort of mutinies, like when people obsess over plot holes. Some of us just have developed a lower threshold for noticing elements in a narrative which don't make sense, and we can't force ourselves to ignore them. There are meditation techniques which supposedly help develop the skill of not allowing one's thoughts to take one out of the moment, but most people don't do any sort of intentional structured metacognitive training, much less those specific ones.

Yes, that was sarcasm. I doubt you have any problems using metaphorical and imaginary entities as a tool to create excitement in your life. As a mental tool imaginary entities obviously works for everybody who tries to use them.
The interesting thing to me is that they actually don't. As a matter of fact, on one of my other forums(a horror movie forum), I see complaints every day from people who are having trouble using imaginary entities as a tool to create excitement in their lives. It's the single most common thing to hear in that place. What happens is that they become so familiar with the storytelling tropes that the stories become predictable and they notice the various contrivances and plot holes, rendering it harder to suspend disbelief.

I was raised an atheist and have always been an atheist. But the fact that Christians cry at a funeral, I think, proves to me that Christians also are aware that there is no god or heaven. At least on a deep/subconscious level.
Does suicide bombing prove anything to you about which metaphysical notions a Jihadist is aware of?

I have honestly no idea what kind of people will be attracted to Syntheism. My impression so far is that it's plenty of arty types. We've got loads of artists, actors, dancers and theatre people.
Interesting. The stereotype of artsy types is of people more in touch with their feelings, more prone to operating in a more intuitive mindset. I don't know how well the stereotype matches the statistics, but it's interesting how more intuitive sorts are exactly who I would expect to be attracted to a "religion" where practice plays such a larger role than theory. I wonder what the relative rates of psychedelic drug usage are among Syntheists.

The other big group is highly successful careerists with emotional issues. I belong to the second category. It's people who are bored with the emptiness of consumerism in spite of being at the top of the ladder. These are the two major identifiable groups I can see. The theme running through it all is that everybody is very intellectual. But I expect that is mandatory in order to develop any interest in something like this.

As far as alternatives. Well.. this is Sweden. Religion is dead here. Virtually all Swedes are atheists. So if you're an atheist with an interest in religion there are no other options other than Syntheism. We're pretty much on virgin territory. Monopoly is a dirty word... but that's us.

By alternatives, I just meant other sorts of clubs. The example I had in mind was sports fandom. There's regular attendance of events, rituals, group identity (complete with ingroup favoritism and outgroup derogation), specialized jargon, special attire, and the team itself acts as a sort of figure of worship.

I can barely see any connection between these holy texts and what is actually going on in fundamentalist Islam or fundamentalist Christianity.

Then you must have blinders on.

You'd have to squint really hard to make that case. I get the impression that these fundamentalist say that they're following these holy texts to the letter and then secularists accepts this as a fact without questioning it. I think it's obviously bullshit.

Or, those secularists have actually *read* those texts in question and notice that the fundamentalist interpret these texts pretty damn literally.

There's a type of extreme conservative people who are drawn to fundamentalist movements and fundamentalist culture. But fundamentalist cultures seems divorced from the holy books they claim they use as the basis for their fundamentalism. There's something else going on her. Something way more sociologically interesting, as well as complex. I think the Quran could be exchanged for Winnie the Poo and ISIS would be going just as strong. I don't think anything would change. Nothing at all. If that's true for fundamentalism it's obviously true for liberal religion.

You are confusing fanaticism with fundamentalism.

To reiterate, a dick head is a dick head regardless of religion. It's a non-factor.

And I reiterate; that is simply not the case.

Let's agree to disagree.

Once again; let's not. It is an objective fact that there are plenty of people who join religions without already believing in the values. I can not and will not 'agree' to disagree with you about objective facts.

Which would prove that values don't come from the religion? How aren't you just arguing against yourself now?

No, it proves that people can maintain membership in a religion even when their values and beliefs change; it does *not* prove that ones values and beliefs *can't* come from religion.

I think you're making irrelevant distinctions. Even if you're correct that still proves my point. Let's just agree to disagree.

Again; let's not. You are misdefining the dilemma. It simply not about what you claimed it was, and never has been. Furthermore, the distinction is by no means irrelevant. We were talking about whether a person's morality can be informed by religion; the dilemma argues about on what basis a given morality is valid. These are two entirely different things; the distinction is by no means irrelevant. Furthermore, the fact that I am correct in no way proves your point, since as should be abundantly obvious; the dilemma does not concern itself with the origins of belief and therefore has no relevance to your argument that people's beliefs come entirely from themselves instead of being informed by external means. And again, I refuse to 'agree' to disagree with you just because you are are unwilling to adhere to the accept definitions of terms, words, and objective reality.

You make a logical argument. I have no issue with the line of reasoning. It's just that I don't think that's how it works.

Except, it does work that way, and we see this happen all the damned time. Given that you have in the past hammered home the point that you can not comprehend certain atheist frustrations because you have no experience living in a religious society, it should be evident to you that you might simply not have the requisite experience and observations to understand the subject.

Clearly there's a connection between being religious and also being homophobic. I'm not denying that.

Before I make my case for how this works I should start by saying that I think homophobia is innate. I don't think there's anybody alive who hasn't wondered why they're attracted to the gender they're attracted to and unable to come up with an answer. We have a very strong urge to procreate as well as see our children procreate. That instinct is why our species exists at all. If we or our children are gay that's a threat to this ability. How do you or anybody know whether or not they'll turn gay tomorrow? This lack of knowledge can lead to fear, and fear often makes people lash out irrationally. They externalise an internal (perceived) enemy. I don't think gay hate is learned. I think gay tolerance is learned. And it has to continuously be re-enforced in a culture or we slide back to homophobia being the norm.

You are mistaken. There is no such thing as 'innate' hate. There is no 'gene' for hating gay people; fear and confusion of the like you've described do not create hate; they can only create conditions right for hate to grow in. Hate however, *is* a learned behavior. It stems from negative experience or reinforced thinking imposed by one's society. Even if there's people out there who hate gays who have arrived at such hate entirely through internal reasoning instead of it being taught to them; this in no way demonstrates that hatred of gay people is 'innate' and that it can't also be learned behavior. You are once again, dealing in absolutes when doing so runs completely counter to established observations. If you've never encountered someone who hates a group purely because of their upbringing, then you've led an extraordinarily sheltered life.

The vast majority of the teachings of any holy book is tips and tricks for emotional management given various social situations.

And is this assessment based on an actual tally or just your gut feeling? I'm pretty sure if you tally up the average holy text's teachings and divide them into "tips for emotional management" and "other"; the latter will dwarf the former. At least unless you manage to twist the teachings so much that common teachings like "don't eat shellfish" or "don't mix fabrics" or "Don't harvest the corners of a field" somehow fit into the emotional management corner. :rolleyes:

Like I've said before, religion is a tool.

Religion is not a tool. It is a belief that reinforces itself by manipulating people's emotions; confusing people like you into thinking that the emotional manipulation is the 'point', when in fact it is the means. Religion is no more designed to be a tool than a hole in the ground is designed to fit a puddle of rainwater.

This thread is about Syntheism. I've explained Syntheism using words as I understand them, using those definitions. When you've asked I've explained my definitions. Instead of you then trying to understand my point you continuously just go on to squabble about definitions and how you think I'm using them wrongly.

That's because you are. You don't just get to redefine words to serve your own needs. Just because you want syntheism to be a religion, doesn't mean you can redefine religion instead of changing syntheism in order to fit the existing definition. I want to be rich; but when I redefine the word 'rich' so that it includes 'someone who is poor', it loses all meaning. Arguing that it is besides the point whether or not someone else agrees with my new definition so long as they understand just doesn't cut it; nobody should have to accept my ridiculous definition of the word 'rich' and I should fully expect them to disabuse me of my delusion.

The point is Occam's Razor. You brought it up. I merely pointed out that your explanation is more complicated than thievery. Yes, people are gullible and easily manipulated. I'm not disputing that.

You are mistaken about how Occam's Razor works. My explanation is *not* more complicated than thievery; in fact, it is the simplest of the two explanations according to occam's razor. According to occam's razor, the explanation that makes the least assumptions is the simplest one. The 'thievery' explanation assumes that people's apparent religious motivations for violence are in fact a face, and then assumes that their real motivation is personal gain (if we want to be pedantic, it further also assumes that these people are skilled enough actors that they can somehow hide their true motivations from almost everyone except Dr.Zoidberg). My explanation on the other hand just assumes that the apparent motivation for violence is the actual motivation. No further assumptions are made. Therefore, it is the simplest explanation. Your inability to imagine someone can commit violence on that basis makes you think that your own explanation is simpler, when in fact it is not.

The conflict can almost almost always be traced to a class conflict. If not a class conflict, an ethnic conflict. Religions or sects tend to be class, or ethnic specific. This brings in money and power as a motivation, which makes a lot more sense IMHO.

You're trying to retrofit justifications and causes into conflicts. Just because a conflict has other elements to it, does not mean it is not religiously motivated. Just because a conflict ends up being between one class and another doesn't mean that it started as a class conflict.

Both the Bible and the Quran constantly prattle on about the importance of forgiveness (as does every holy text that has ever been written). Which makes holy books an unlikely candidate as the source for conflict. Unless of course nobody cares about holy books, which defeats your argument.

They also prattle on about killing heathens, witches, and not forgiving insults against god; which means that you're just not understanding these texts from the perspective of a believer. There is no contradiction to a believer when a book says "forgive your enemies" on one page, and "kill anyone who insults god" on the next. Furthermore, the latter commandment can of course be freely applied to anyone from literal heathens to fellow believers who aren't seen praying hard enough. In other words, holy books make a very likely candidate as the source for conflict.

There's an even larger group of people you're ignoring. The poor, dispossessed and unaffiliated. It's better to be Jewish than to be nothing.

Except this doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying. The jews were about as persecuted as you could get in medieval European society. They were the poorest of the poor. There was nothing to gain from persecuting them; yet they were persecuted all the same. After all, they didn't believe in christ and that was enough to cause them to be persecuted. Worse still, if you believed some preachers, they were the ones who *killed* christ.

Ehe... what? They're opposite activities. One is socially sanctioned the other is frowned upon to the extreme. A soldier is a hero. A murderer is not. Apart from both leading to death they have absolutely zero in common.

Murder happens when one person kills another without legal sanction. However, the murder is obviously sanctioned by the murderer; who doesn't recognize the law's authority to prevent him from killing.

War is no different. War may be condoned by the initiating party's legal system; but that is no different from the murderer sanctioning his own activities. In the absence of a higher legal authority's blessing (such as the UN), a war is just murder on a larger scale.

An utterly and completely discredited way to interpret history.

Sorry, but no; it is not an "utterly and completely discredited" way to interpret history. It is simply not currently in fashion; but it hasn't been discredited. Not that stating that entire wars have been fought on the whims of individuals is an example of Great Man Theory thinking; since I didn't claim that these things were solely driven by the 'great men'. After all, the great man theory states that it is the individuals who shape history and society. The counter-position, holds that the actions of great men are impossible without the conditions being primed by social changes before their time. This counter-position is entirely consistent with my statement that millions have died on the whims of powerful individuals. Consider, after all, an emperor who is given enormous power by the people he rules. He is is capable of wielding this power only because of the many changes and events that have led to the formation of an empire and a populace subservient to it. It is not the emperor who has fashioned his power through his own hands. But he nonetheless still wields it. An emperor who'se power over his levy is such that he can command them to die for his pet cause is not necessarily an example of the Great Man Theory.

Bottom line, great leaders haven't historically really had that much power. The range of possible activities are in reality very small. If a leader goes against the will of the people he will inevitably be replaced.

Leaders constantly went against the will of the people and lived. We've had countless peasant rebellions that were squashed. Throughout history, what mattered most was that leaders had the support of the *elite*. So long as they had that, they could largely get away with anything.

The British Empire was a direct result of the Industrial revolution. The power of the British Industrial revolution sprung simply from the fact that they had their coal deposits close to the sea. That is the only and complete explanation of British Imperial might. It was the introduction of the railway that ended British dominance. Coal could now be transported over land just as efficiently.

This is incorrect. The British Empire was not a direct result of the industrial revolution; it was a direct result of London usurping Amsterdam's role as financial capital of the world. Through this, British trade flourished and eliminated their long-standing rival as a serious threat in trade and naval matters. This allowed them to finance their expansion. By the time of the industrial revolution, the British Empire was already well underway. Industrialization just strengthened it.

Point well made. You, Sir are correct and I was wrong. I didn't think of that aspect. But it's still the same basic motivator for war. The goal of the Dutch trade empire was to enrich the Dutch. Not by taking it from the natives, but because of they wanted the resources for trade. Getting rich was still the prime motivator. Religion was still a non-factor.

Religion in our colonies was a non-factor for us precisely because of the fact we'd fought a war for religious freedom at home. In the eyes of the people of the time, we'd become a secular nation that had no need to impose conversion on natives and unbelievers the way the vile catholics were known for.

I've never believed in magic, so I have nothing to compare with.

By "magic", I refer to the sorts of illusions that stage magicians perform. People generally know and consciously acknowledge that they're illusions, but that doesn't prevent them from being amazed when they watch them. What stops them from being genuinely amazed is showing them an illusion from an angle that makes it clear how the illusion is being achieved.

Personally, I hate stage magic, but I've experienced this effect with regards to fiction. In fact, going back to something you said earlier:

Maybe I'm just the kind of guy who can enjoy an illusion even though I can see right through it. To connect to stage magic. I like stage magic, and I've always been fascinated by it. But today all the stage tricks have been revealed and information about them are available on-line. That doesn't take away from my enjoyment of it. I can enjoy the skill and the beauty of how well they're doing the trick. To me it's analogous to opera, ballet or a classic play. I know all the stories already. I still enjoy watching them. The fact that I know the narrative mechanics of how the story is trying to manipulate me emotionally still makes me able to enjoy new attempts to stage it.

Bottom line, I don't have to be amazed to enjoy something. It just needs to be thought provoking and/or beautiful. Which Syntheist mass manages to do each week.

So I take it you never enjoy movies or read books because you know it's all make-believe? I mean... how could a film possibly be exciting if it's not real?

If a film is doing its job, you aren't actually thinking about the fact that it's not real, because your attention is directed elsewhere. Maybe you, DrZoidberg, can consciously control this selective attention at will, but for a lot of us, it's a semi-voluntary process at best. And some of us seem to need the analytical portion of our mind to be extra engaged, or else it sort of mutinies, like when people obsess over plot holes. Some of us just have developed a lower threshold for noticing elements in a narrative which don't make sense, and we can't force ourselves to ignore them. There are meditation techniques which supposedly help develop the skill of not allowing one's thoughts to take one out of the moment, but most people don't do any sort of intentional structured metacognitive training, much less those specific ones.

I strongly doubt I'm unique or special in any way. The ability to hold two or more parallel thoughts in the head (possibly in conflict) is not hard. It's normal. This btw, is the psychological mechanic that humour relies on. If it didn't work people would never laugh at jokes.

Maybe it's a question of training. But if it is, I think the ability to learn is extraordinarily easy. You don't need to be smart to be a Syntheist. We have all sorts as members. I think this is a non-issue, and I strongly suspect that it's simply a question of you not exploring this, or even giving it a try. Could that be the case?

Yes, that was sarcasm. I doubt you have any problems using metaphorical and imaginary entities as a tool to create excitement in your life. As a mental tool imaginary entities obviously works for everybody who tries to use them.
The interesting thing to me is that they actually don't. As a matter of fact, on one of my other forums(a horror movie forum), I see complaints every day from people who are having trouble using imaginary entities as a tool to create excitement in their lives. It's the single most common thing to hear in that place. What happens is that they become so familiar with the storytelling tropes that the stories become predictable and they notice the various contrivances and plot holes, rendering it harder to suspend disbelief.

He he. As an old horror fan I used to be a victim of that. Here's my explanation. If we compare movies to drugs. Horror is the heroin of the movie industry. It is the most extreme way to get the viewer to experience strong emotions. Just like heroin you need to constantly increase the dosage to get the same buzz. The solution is simple. Use less heroin. Take long breaks. Go to a horror rehab. But still... whenever there's a killer on the lose and one in the group decide it's a good idea to venture into the attic/cellar alone and in the dark my pulse still doesn't go up even slightly. I just sigh. So some damage from heroin... I mean horror desensitization seems permanent :)

Anyway. It's an extreme example. I doubt you can find many other meaningful parallels. Pornography perhaps? Either way it doesn't change my target of the sarcasm. I think it still applies.

I was raised an atheist and have always been an atheist. But the fact that Christians cry at a funeral, I think, proves to me that Christians also are aware that there is no god or heaven. At least on a deep/subconscious level.
Does suicide bombing prove anything to you about which metaphysical notions a Jihadist is aware of?

I think all that is required is that the suicide bombers feel that they are part of something greater than themselves and that this cause is worth dying for. Every soldier in every army has shared that belief. Or all the doctors and nurses who have travelled recently to west Africa to combat Ebola. This is human. For whatever reason, humans like taking great risks in order for it to benefit, what they perceive, are great causes. The elderly engineers who entered Fukushima who did it knowing they would die.

No army or cause has ever employed as many suicide bombers as the Soviet Red Army did during WWII. All atheists. Religion or supernaturalism is clearly not required. Also, the Quran is pretty clear on suicide leads straight to hell. You have to read the Quran extremely liberally to get it to support suicide bombings. The Christian knights of Malta where the ones who started this whole religious suicide bombing nonsense. The Bible is no more forgiving on suicide than the Quran is. They're exactly identical on this issue. Both sprung from a liberal interpretation of what the word "martyr" means. Being martyred at your own hand is a contradiction in terms. That interpretation is idiotic, to say the least. Yet Christian and Islamic suicide bombers have had no problems blowing themselves up in the name of religion, in spite of their holy books clearly being opposed to the activity.

I have honestly no idea what kind of people will be attracted to Syntheism. My impression so far is that it's plenty of arty types. We've got loads of artists, actors, dancers and theatre people.
Interesting. The stereotype of artsy types is of people more in touch with their feelings, more prone to operating in a more intuitive mindset. I don't know how well the stereotype matches the statistics, but it's interesting how more intuitive sorts are exactly who I would expect to be attracted to a "religion" where practice plays such a larger role than theory.

I didn't take me long to realize that I have a lot to learn from them. Trying to learn from them and to help develop my more intuitive/emotional side has been my greatest take away from Syntheism. Something I'll always be grateful for, even if Syntheism dies tomorrow. Like I said. Most of my life has been geared toward being analytical and intellectualising emotions. But just being smart doesn't make anybody happy.

I wonder what the relative rates of psychedelic drug usage are among Syntheists.

It's quite high (he he pun). The entheogenic special-interest sub-group of Syntheism is large. But it's far from everybody. There is a cultural explanation for this, that's quite convoluted. Sweden in general is extremely anti-drugs. Our laws and drug enforcement is extreme, to say the least. Since being religious isn't the norm in Sweden, anything alternative is likely to attract people liberal about drugs. And since psychadelics are the drugs most associated with religion it was obviously the drug of choice.

Ayahuasca is now fully legal in Portugal. So quite a few of us regularly travel there to attend those ceremonies. Those are run by psychotherapists, and are monitored by doctors. The drugs are used therapeutically. I haven't been yet. But I'm planing to. I've only heard good things about it. I too am a big fan of psychedelics. Even though my experience with them the last 20 years has been extremely limited. Doing LSD as a teenager has still been one of the best and most life-changing events of my life. Without question it changed my life to the better. So I'm already extremely positive about them. I needed no convincing.

By alternatives, I just meant other sorts of clubs. The example I had in mind was sports fandom. There's regular attendance of events, rituals, group identity (complete with ingroup favoritism and outgroup derogation), specialized jargon, special attire, and the team itself acts as a sort of figure of worship.

Ok. I understand. Sorry. It's sports or nothing. And sports is.. well.. it's sports. Not really in competition with Syntheism for hearts and minds. Swedes in general are quite emotionally cold. We're not good at sharing emotions. It's clearly a cultural handicap. We need all the practice we can get. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for this is the death of religion is Sweden. Between 1850 to 1960 socialist clubs replaced Christian churches in Sweden. They were initially modelled on the Church of Sweden. And step by step they replaced every church function except marriages and funerals. In the 1950'ies people just en masse stopped going to church. The church in Sweden had become completely and utterly redundant. The vast majority of Swedes now started identify as atheist. Pretty much over night. God became a non-subject in society. But in the 80'ies and the fall of communism meant that socialism went out of fashion. So people stopped going to the socialist clubs en masse. Which in practice had the same function religious communities had in other countries. Swedes still haven't found anything to replace those socialist clubs with. That's one of the reasons I think Syntheism has the potential to be huge in Sweden. I think I've managed to identify a huge hole in the Swedish social fabric, that needs to be filled by something religion-shaped. Right now that hole is occupied by sports. But that's a pretty poor alternative to a fully developed religion IMHO.

Let's agree to disagree.

Once again; let's not. It is an objective fact that there are plenty of people who join religions without already believing in the values. I can not and will not 'agree' to disagree with you about objective facts.

When I say "agree to disagree" it means that I've listened to your arguments and found them NOT convincing. When I don't need to inquire any more but are satisfied with fully understanding your position and still don't agree, it's time to move on. Ie I'll stop replying to further comments from you. It's not up to you to decide what I reply to.

Clearly there's a connection between being religious and also being homophobic. I'm not denying that.

You are mistaken. There is no such thing as 'innate' hate. There is no 'gene' for hating gay people; fear and confusion of the like you've described do not create hate; they can only create conditions right for hate to grow in. Hate however, *is* a learned behavior. It stems from negative experience or reinforced thinking imposed by one's society. Even if there's people out there who hate gays who have arrived at such hate entirely through internal reasoning instead of it being taught to them; this in no way demonstrates that hatred of gay people is 'innate' and that it can't also be learned behavior. You are once again, dealing in absolutes when doing so runs completely counter to established observations. If you've never encountered someone who hates a group purely because of their upbringing, then you've led an extraordinarily sheltered life.

I respect your view. I just don't share it.

The vast majority of the teachings of any holy book is tips and tricks for emotional management given various social situations.

And is this assessment based on an actual tally or just your gut feeling? I'm pretty sure if you tally up the average holy text's teachings and divide them into "tips for emotional management" and "other"; the latter will dwarf the former. At least unless you manage to twist the teachings so much that common teachings like "don't eat shellfish" or "don't mix fabrics" or "Don't harvest the corners of a field" somehow fit into the emotional management corner. :rolleyes:

I have actually read all religious texts for all major religions in a variety of translations. This has been my impression.

Like I've said before, religion is a tool.

Religion is not a tool. It is a belief that reinforces itself by manipulating people's emotions; confusing people like you into thinking that the emotional manipulation is the 'point', when in fact it is the means. Religion is no more designed to be a tool than a hole in the ground is designed to fit a puddle of rainwater.

This is something else we'll have to agree to disagree on.

This thread is about Syntheism. I've explained Syntheism using words as I understand them, using those definitions. When you've asked I've explained my definitions. Instead of you then trying to understand my point you continuously just go on to squabble about definitions and how you think I'm using them wrongly.

That's because you are. You don't just get to redefine words to serve your own needs. Just because you want syntheism to be a religion, doesn't mean you can redefine religion instead of changing syntheism in order to fit the existing definition. I want to be rich; but when I redefine the word 'rich' so that it includes 'someone who is poor', it loses all meaning. Arguing that it is besides the point whether or not someone else agrees with my new definition so long as they understand just doesn't cut it; nobody should have to accept my ridiculous definition of the word 'rich' and I should fully expect them to disabuse me of my delusion.

The difference between us is that I'm aware that words can be differently defined. Many definitions are equally good and/or common. That's just life. Deal with it. I don't think there's much to add beyond this. It may be helpful if you look at it this way; I think that my definitions are correct and your definitions are wrong for all the words.

The conflict can almost almost always be traced to a class conflict. If not a class conflict, an ethnic conflict. Religions or sects tend to be class, or ethnic specific. This brings in money and power as a motivation, which makes a lot more sense IMHO.

You're trying to retrofit justifications and causes into conflicts. Just because a conflict has other elements to it, does not mean it is not religiously motivated. Just because a conflict ends up being between one class and another doesn't mean that it started as a class conflict.

Agree to disagree.

There's an even larger group of people you're ignoring. The poor, dispossessed and unaffiliated. It's better to be Jewish than to be nothing.

Except this doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying. The jews were about as persecuted as you could get in medieval European society. They were the poorest of the poor. There was nothing to gain from persecuting them; yet they were persecuted all the same. After all, they didn't believe in christ and that was enough to cause them to be persecuted. Worse still, if you believed some preachers, they were the ones who *killed* christ.

Maybe you should read up on Jewish history? They had plenty to gain from being Jewish in spite of being regularly persecuted.

Murder happens when one person kills another without legal sanction. However, the murder is obviously sanctioned by the murderer; who doesn't recognize the law's authority to prevent him from killing.

War is no different. War may be condoned by the initiating party's legal system; but that is no different from the murderer sanctioning his own activities. In the absence of a higher legal authority's blessing (such as the UN), a war is just murder on a larger scale.

Now I think you're just being silly.

An utterly and completely discredited way to interpret history.

Sorry, but no; it is not an "utterly and completely discredited" way to interpret history. It is simply not currently in fashion; but it hasn't been discredited. Not that stating that entire wars have been fought on the whims of individuals is an example of Great Man Theory thinking; since I didn't claim that these things were solely driven by the 'great men'. After all, the great man theory states that it is the individuals who shape history and society. The counter-position, holds that the actions of great men are impossible without the conditions being primed by social changes before their time. This counter-position is entirely consistent with my statement that millions have died on the whims of powerful individuals. Consider, after all, an emperor who is given enormous power by the people he rules. He is is capable of wielding this power only because of the many changes and events that have led to the formation of an empire and a populace subservient to it. It is not the emperor who has fashioned his power through his own hands. But he nonetheless still wields it. An emperor who'se power over his levy is such that he can command them to die for his pet cause is not necessarily an example of the Great Man Theory.

Agree to disagree.

An informative response. Thank you.

Interesting thread.

The Gnostics long ago figured out that enlightenment was a state of mind, but they lost to the literalists.

Two thousand years later, it comes around again.

Now there are mainline Christian churches that qualify the Bible as a "faith document".

Pursuit of spirituality necessarily makes a person more vulnerable and hence more susceptible to manipulation or exploitation. It's a risk. Some might never explore that part of themselves out of that fear, just as some people fear say intimacy or therapy.

Good that we sorted this out. Syntheism provides none of the above. So obviously it's not necessary for all religions. Syntheism does provide a platform where members share and discuss existential issues. But I'm not involved with those groups. I think it's boring, and above all, nothing I need help with from Syntheism. That's not what it's about for me. I still prefer coming to this forum and talk about philosophy here than doing it with other Syntheists. One of the beauty of Syntheism is meeting a variety of people I otherwise wouldn't. The the focus is on soft issues. Emotional stuff, psychology and just getting along. I'd argue that a religion doesn't lend itself well to explore the more hardcore subjects, stuff like meaning of life, existential anxiety or ethics. Those are better handled by other institutions and functions in society.
Which other institutions/functions do you have in mind, when it comes to those who are interested in things such as certainty of purpose and lack of existential doubt?

Back
Top Bottom