• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Talking about extremist.

OLDMAN

Basic Beliefs
NONE
article-2307713-193E4E9B000005DC-456_634x632.jpg
Is this not extreme religious thinking, making this man an extremist.

When Muslims want to avoid talking about wither the burqa is appropriate or a women's choice, they pass it off as a moderate issue. But I think it is an extreme example of someone's view of how a modest Muslim women should present herself. This leads me to conclude that there are a lot of extreme actions and thinking going on in all religions.

The idea that only violent extremist are extremist is a faulty position. Time to call out all extremist and extreme thinking.

Catholics who believe they are actually eating the body of Christ when they bite into a wafer cracker made in a factory in New Jersey would be another example. Can you think of others from around the world.

In the end, I feel that you cannot get to extreme violent actions without accepting other extreme thoughts, many of these we simply acknowledge as part of everyday religion. It is a process that all religions follow, some end up benign, others cults of total destruction. Why is it allowed and why do we not call them on it?

Last edited:
Yes, I essentially agree with your assessment. Of course, being an extremist Jain is quite different than being an extremist Muslim or Christian, but extremism can be present with any set of ideas. And all religions can act as the sort of tribal markers that allow the worst excesses of human violent behavior to flourish, irrespective of the particulars of the ideas.

The point the OP was making is somewhat undercut by the fact that this was the only guy on the flight who didn't die of ebola.

The point the OP was making is somewhat undercut by the fact that this was the only guy on the flight who didn't die of ebola.

lol, but still an extreme way to avoid getting the flu, wouldn't you say?

Yes, I essentially agree with your assessment. Of course, being an extremist Jain is quite different than being an extremist Muslim or Christian, but extremism can be present with any set of ideas. And all religions can act as the sort of tribal markers that allow the worst excesses of human violent behavior to flourish, irrespective of the particulars of the ideas.

Not only that, but when we normalize extreme thinking, we put people in danger of falling under the spells of cult leaders. Once you accept things on faith you really have no protection from the likes of Jim Jones or David Koresh.

Not only that, but when we normalize extreme thinking, we put people in danger of falling under the spells of cult leaders. Once you accept things on faith you really have no protection from the likes of Jim Jones or David Koresh.
That also works with political leaders, since a lot of people take them on faith.

Back
Top Bottom