• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Teen forced to continue chemotherapy against her will.

What if, instead of chemotherapy, she was deciding to have an abortion for some irrational reason? For instance she was convinced it was the son of Satan.

Is a minor incapable of deciding whether to carry the baby to term, or should we defer to the parents? Should the state intervene if people think the reason for the decision is irrational?

What if, instead of chemotherapy, she was deciding to have an abortion for some irrational reason? For instance she was convinced it was the son of Satan.
If that was the case, she is mentally unfit to make such decisions.

Is a minor incapable of deciding whether to carry the baby to term, or should we defer to the parents? Should the state intervene if people think the reason for the decision is irrational?
Her decision is to live. Her preferred course of treatment would most likely lead to her death.

More aggressive treatment would have bought him more time, not a cure.
This is my reference: My reference.
Walter Iasscson is no Oncologist either but, I have never heard if any more enlightening information came out on this.
According to Steve Jobs’ biographer, Walter Isaacson, the Apple AAPL +0.13% mastermind eventually came to regret the decision he had made years earlier to reject potentially life-saving surgery in favor of alternative treatments like acupuncture, dietary supplements and juices. Though he ultimately embraced the surgery and sought out cutting-edge experimental methods, they were not enough to save him.

Jobs’ cancer had been discovered by chance during a CT scan in 2003 to look for kidney stones, during which doctors saw a “shadow” on his pancreas. Isaacson told CBS’ 60 Minutes last night that while the news was not good, the upside was that the form of pancreatic cancer from which Jobs suffered (a neuroendocrine islet tumor) was one of the 5% or so that are slow growing and most likely to be cured.

"Most likely" != "likely". Pancreatic cancer has an abysmal survival rate.

This is my reference: My reference.
Walter Iasscson is no Oncologist either but, I have never heard if any more enlightening information came out on this.
According to Steve Jobs’ biographer, Walter Isaacson, the Apple AAPL +0.13% mastermind eventually came to regret the decision he had made years earlier to reject potentially life-saving surgery in favor of alternative treatments like acupuncture, dietary supplements and juices. Though he ultimately embraced the surgery and sought out cutting-edge experimental methods, they were not enough to save him.

Jobs’ cancer had been discovered by chance during a CT scan in 2003 to look for kidney stones, during which doctors saw a “shadow” on his pancreas. Isaacson told CBS’ 60 Minutes last night that while the news was not good, the upside was that the form of pancreatic cancer from which Jobs suffered (a neuroendocrine islet tumor) was one of the 5% or so that are slow growing and most likely to be cured.

"Most likely" != "likely". Pancreatic cancer has an abysmal survival rate.

Well, when one's ass is on the line, "most likely" must sound pretty good. I know the survival rates of pancreatic cancer are very poor. All the more reason not to try to beat it with acupuncture and vitamins. Would you not call this an irrational course of action on Job's part? I would. Yet he was permitted to make it, which is a testament to the Supreme Court's decision in Union Pacific Railway Company v. Botsford.

Back
Top Bottom