• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Texas in Crisis

TomC said:
This is rather why I'm so leery of nuclear power.

As long as everything is good, it's clean.

Except for the waste disposal issues.

But then there's human nature. From all out war to creeping complacency, nuclear power plants have the capacity to produce huge human disasters.
And yet, if you take a look at the track record, nuclear energy is still safer and cleaner solar, for example. And a lot more than gas. And far, far more than coal.

TomC said:
Imagine a war, just a conventional modern war, with nuclear plants as prime targets.

There is no realistic scenario in which any country or group of countries can launch a conventional war against America and hit Texas's power stations, nuclear or otherwise.

But if you're talking about other places look at the rest of the world, what has happened is refineries and generally the oil industry being targeted, causing serious environmental disasters. Would it be worse with nuclear? You'd have to consider it on a case by case basis, but so far, what we see historically is that nuclear remains much safer than fossil fuels, and also everything else (except wind, which is close), and also, take a look at bilby's points regarding safety.

TomC said:
Or a nuclear power plant in a third world country, like in Africa or South America, subject to the vicissitudes of political turmoil.
We can do much better than imagine it: we can take a look at actual examples, and again we see no safety problems with the nuclear power stations in South America or Africa. The problem is, recently, anti-nuclear activism. But that is not a safety problem. It's a political/ideological problem.

Duh! A company that doesn't pass on market rates to customers at present is going to be bleeding heavily.

Not every municipality or customer may choose who they pay for electricity. Some people only have one option. Sometimes that option is the usurous one.

I would hazard that for some in this situation, the choice was "accept usury or have no heat/light."

Tough. The customer either explicitly clicked an 'I Agree' box, or implicitly agreed to the Corporation's stipulations. What would you have Commissar Biden do? Squeeze the corporation and its billionaire stockholders out of their Holy Profit? Why don't you just go back to North Korea, Yemen, Denmark or some other place that will uphold your communist ideals?

Anyway, I read that Governor Abbott intends to propose New Laws, forbidding any recurrence of this calamity! AOC and Hillary are selling girl-scout cookies, while Republican Abbott steps up to the plate and hits a home run! With innovative bold leadership like that, the whines and whinges of Antifa, Green New Deal, NAACP and other America-haters will soon be forgotten.

Actually, as more details come out I've come to change my mind on this--the government is the real culprit here. They told the utilities to raise the spot price to the ceiling in an effort to curb demand. The Griddy mess wouldn't be nearly as bad without that.

The record in Texas is that their free market approach was successfully and safely generating wind energy & gas energy, until suddenly it bigly wasn't.

This is rather why I'm so leery of nuclear power.

As long as everything is good, it's clean.
Except for the waste disposal issues.

Lets look a bit more at those "waste disposal issues".

In the left corner we have a terawatt of coal power. In the right corner we have a terawatt of nuclear power. Both obviously produce waste.

In the left corner we dig a hole to store a year's worth of the fly ash. The stuff is rather toxic, it needs to be sealed against water intrusion.

In the right corner we dig a hole to store the waste. Again, we seal it to keep it out of the environment. To be fair we make the same hole as we did for the coal.

A year goes by. The left hole fills up. The right hole, however--the spent fuel comes out of the reactor and goes to the reprocessor. Unused fuel (only about 10% has actually been used) goes back to the reactor. Commercially useful isotopes are extracted. That which is neither of these goes into the hole.

Next year, we need to dig a new hole for the coal plant. The nuke plant's hole has plenty of space.

10,000 years from now we have 10,000 holes for the coal plant. The nuke plant's hole has finally filled up.

10,001 years--we dig yet another hole for the coal. On the nuke side, however, we simply take out the first batch as it is no hotter than natural background radiation. Maybe it's got something useful in it, if not it can go in the regular trash at this point--it's pretty much devoid of the heavy metals that are a problem with the fly ash.

100,000 years from now we have 100,000 holes for the coal plant, the nuke plant continues to function with just it's original hole.

Or lets look at the radiation the plants emit.

Go to the fence of the coal plant, record the radiation release. Now go to the nuke plant and replay those readings--the alarms go off, they shut down the plant and look for what's broken and leaking hot stuff.

(Or, consider the Palo Verde nuclear plant in Arizona. They had to apply for a waiver on the normal rules for how hot their waste water could be as it was inherently impossible for them to meet the standard. The problem is the reactor cooling water is cleaned-up sewer water and the water coming into the plant doesn't meet the standards for how hot it can be going out. The problem is patients undergoing various nuclear medicine procedures and pissing out the results. The doctors capture the really hot stuff (radioiodine treatment for thyroid cancer) but most of it just goes down the toilet. Both my wife and I have had Tc-99M imaging studies, absolutely zero efforts to contain the leftover radioactivity other than she got a card from the lab as we were doing an international flight the next day--and she was hot enough to set off two radiation alarms in Shanghai/PuDong.)

I like this about Ted Cruz, the Senator from Cancun:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I don’t care what Cruz said at CPAC, but I do care that it appears Texas was just a layover stop for him between Cancun and Orlando to drop a pack of water into someone’s trunk and abandon his constituents again as they get slammed with $16,000 electrical bills." / Twitter

"Senator from Cancun"?

There is a bit of Congressional courtesy, and that is referring to fellow members as a colleague or whatever from their state. This has obvious extensions, like Joe Biden as the Senator from Amtrak.

Thanx, LP.
Texas’s Winter Storm Death Toll Likely Four Times Higher Than Reported
The state’s tally currently stands at 151 deaths. But by looking at how many more people died during and immediately after the storm than would have been expected — an established method that has been used to count the full toll of other disasters — we estimate that 700 people were killed by the storm during the week with the worst power outages.

Thanx, LP.
The state’s tally currently stands at 151 deaths. But by looking at how many more people died during and immediately after the storm than would have been expected — an established method that has been used to count the full toll of other disasters — we estimate that 700 people were killed by the storm during the week with the worst power outages.

The companies that made the windmills should be shamed...

Thanx, LP.

What did they do wrong?

Tough. The customer either explicitly clicked an 'I Agree' box, or implicitly agreed to the Corporation's stipulations. What would you have Commissar Biden do? Squeeze the corporation and its billionaire stockholders out of their Holy Profit? Why don't you just go back to North Korea, Yemen, Denmark or some other place that will uphold your communist ideals?

Anyway, I read that Governor Abbott intends to propose New Laws, forbidding any recurrence of this calamity! AOC and Hillary are selling girl-scout cookies, while Republican Abbott steps up to the plate and hits a home run! With innovative bold leadership like that, the whines and whinges of Antifa, Green New Deal, NAACP and other America-haters will soon be forgotten.

Actually, as more details come out I've come to change my mind on this--the government is the real culprit here. They told the utilities to raise the spot price to the ceiling in an effort to curb demand. The Griddy mess wouldn't be nearly as bad without that.
And, of course, you believe that a for-profit company would not have done that on its own.

Thanx, LP.
That purchased them? Products have specs, they bought cheaper windmills. Why? Because if they froze it wouldn't be an issue, they always had the natural gas power. That was the flaw in Texas' thinking. These flaws often go undetected until people die.

Much like the Flint water issue.
A: The water is too corrosive.
B: Is it dangerous to drink.
A: No.
B: It'll be fine.

This is what happens when people make assumptions and/or don't ask the right questions.

And, of course, you believe that a for-profit company would not have done that on its own.

The mandated price was far above the spot price. This was caused by the government.

Texas is telling its citizens to Sweat For Deregulation.

Texas saw lots of people suffer and even die when very cold temperatures compromised most of Texas' electric grid which nearly completely collapsed, but thankfully was able to limp along just making people extraordinarily cold. Rolling outages worked out so well, they are being reintroduced this late spring as Texas is telling its citizens that comfort is a 'state of mind', so raise those dials, turn down those subwoofers, and pretty much just suffer because we can't supply the energy needed for comfort.

article said:
Officials with the nonprofit group, which oversees 90 percent of Texas' energy production, asked residents to set their thermostats higher, turn off lights and avoid using larger appliances until Friday.

A spokeswoman for the group told reporters that the outages accounted for more than 12,000 megawatts, enough to power 2.4 million homes. Some areas of the state, including Dallas and Tarrant counties, were warned about poor air quality and potentially dangerous heat, with the heat index approaching 110 degrees.

The index in Houston also topped 100 degrees.

A senior official with ERCOT, Warren Lasher, said it wasn't clear why there were so many unplanned outages. But he said that the group is "deeply concerned" about the plants that are offline and that a thorough investigation is being conducted to better understand the problems.
Gonna be near 100 in plenty parts of Texas. Seems like Texas just sucks.

Ohio had a ridiculously hot July last year, with more days above 90 degrees for the high than the area usually sees all summer. We had zero rolling blackouts.

Texas is telling its citizens to Sweat For Deregulation.

Texas saw lots of people suffer and even die when very cold temperatures compromised most of Texas' electric grid which nearly completely collapsed, but thankfully was able to limp along just making people extraordinarily cold. Rolling outages worked out so well, they are being reintroduced this late spring as Texas is telling its citizens that comfort is a 'state of mind', so raise those dials, turn down those subwoofers, and pretty much just suffer because we can't supply the energy needed for comfort.

article said:
Officials with the nonprofit group, which oversees 90 percent of Texas' energy production, asked residents to set their thermostats higher, turn off lights and avoid using larger appliances until Friday.

A spokeswoman for the group told reporters that the outages accounted for more than 12,000 megawatts, enough to power 2.4 million homes. Some areas of the state, including Dallas and Tarrant counties, were warned about poor air quality and potentially dangerous heat, with the heat index approaching 110 degrees.

The index in Houston also topped 100 degrees.

A senior official with ERCOT, Warren Lasher, said it wasn't clear why there were so many unplanned outages. But he said that the group is "deeply concerned" about the plants that are offline and that a thorough investigation is being conducted to better understand the problems.

Ohio had a ridiculously hot July last year, with more days above 90 degrees for the high than the area usually sees all summer. We had zero rolling blackouts.

Seems like the sort of thing you expect when you elect people to actually run the state and local governments, instead of wallowing is culture war nonsense.

Who knew? Well, probably the folks that vote for dems in Texas, first and foremost.

Near 100?

<ROTFL>

113 here right now according to Google. (Admittedly, we aren't on the valley floor, I doubt it's more than 110 in our yard.)

Near 100?

<ROTFL>

113 here right now according to Google. (Admittedly, we aren't on the valley floor, I doubt it's more than 110 in our yard.)

Eh, I'll take the dry 113 in Vegas over the humid 100 in Texas any day.

Near 100?

<ROTFL>

Eh, I'll take the dry 113 in Vegas over the humid 100 in Texas any day.

More and more we are exceeding wet bulb temperatures beyond which humans can regulate their body temp.
Folks in the southern US are going to need to become more nocturnal. Possibly take to living underground.

Back
Top Bottom