• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The 2020 Democratic National Convention

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Like most conventions over the last half-century or so, it is essentially a coronation, and the main excitement is usually over who will be selected as the Presidential candidate's running mate. The word has come out early: Kamala Harris.

Curiously, a Republican, John Kasich, has been granted a speaking slot. Here are some others who will be speaking:

Democrats to highlight 17 'rising stars' in convention keynote - Reuters
Democrats will highlight 17 young politicians they consider “rising stars,” including one-time vice presidential hopeful Stacey Abrams, on Tuesday, the second night of the party’s nominating convention.

Also speaking during the keynote will be Navajo Nation president Jonathan Nez; Nevada State Senator Yvanna Cancela, who is of Cuban descent and helped engineer Biden’s second-place finish in that closely-contested state’s Democratic caucus; Florida’s agriculture commissioner, Nikki Fried, who is the first woman to hold that position; and Representative Conor Lamb, who won a Pennsylvania “swing” district that helped Democrats seize control of the House of Representatives in 2018.
Note who is missing from that list. Several progressive Democrats, including some very notable ones. One of them is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and she will get 1 minute of prerecorded speaking time. She says about it:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "
“I only have a minute.
Sixty seconds in it.
Forced upon me, I did not choose it,
But I know that I must use it.
Give account if I abuse it.
Suffer, if I lose it.
Only a tiny little minute, But eternity is in it.”
- Dr. Benjamin E. Mays
(and recited by Elijah Cummings) 💜" / Twitter

Krystal and Saagar: Polls Show Voters Want To Hear From AOC MORE Than John Kasich Despite DNC Choice - YouTube with a screenshot of this:
Dave Weigel on Twitter: "From the new CBS poll of Democrats: Which of these people would you like to hear speak at the DNC?
@AOC
Yes: 63%
No: 37%
Bill Clinton
Yes: 56%
No: 44%
John Kasich
Yes: 38%
No: 62%
(link)" / Twitter

Bernie Sanders was the high point so far.

From call-ins to C-SPAN it seems Kasich's speech had an impact on Republican fence sitters.

One note about the cross roads metaphor. The cross roads is where you sell your soul to the devil. For the Republicans that was 2016. We're at a fork in the road in 2020 (as properly portrayed in the Kasich speech).

Democratic National Convention Schedule - 2020 Democratic National Convention

Speakers currently listed:
  • Monday:
    • Sen. Amy Klobuchar
    • Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto
    • Gov. Andrew Cuomo
    • Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
    • Rep. Jim Clyburn
    • Sen. Doug Jones
    • Sen. Bernie Sanders
    • Fmr. First Lady Michelle Obama
  • Tuesday:
    • Fmr. Acting US Atty. Gnl. Sally Yates
    • Sen. Chuck Schumer
    • Fmr. Sec'y of State John Kerry
    • Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
    • Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester
    • Fmr. Pres. Bill Clinton
    • Dr. Jill Biden
  • Wednesday:
    • Sen. Elizabeth Warren
    • Rep. Nancy Pelosi
    • Fmr. Sec'y of State Hillary Clinton
    • Gov. Tony Evers
    • Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham
    • Fmr. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords
    • Sen. Kamala Harris
    • Fmr. Pres. Barack Obama
  • Thursday:
    • Sen. Cory Booker
    • Fmr. Mayor Pete Buttigieg
    • Gov. Gavin Newsom
    • Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms
    • Sen. Tammy Baldwin
    • Sen. Tammy Duckworth
    • Sen. Chris Coons
    • Andrew Yang
    • Fmr. VP Joe Biden

Why Is John Kasich Speaking At Democrats' Convention?
“I think both parties have to have new ideas, and I think this country is moderate,” said Kasich, winding up to a gentle criticism of Ocasio-Cortez. “People on the extreme, whether they're on the left or on the right, they get outsized publicity that tends to define their party. You know, I listen to people all the time make these statements, and because AOC gets outsized publicity doesn't mean she represents the Democratic Party. She's just a part, just some member of it. And it's on both sides, whether it's the Republicans or whether it's the Democrats.”
then
Melissa Ryan on Twitter: "John Kasich is speaking at the DNCC tonight. As part of his pre-speech media blitz, he's slamming @aoc, one of our rising stars. *So* glad we gave the anti-choice union buster a prime speaking slot. I'm sure it will sway at least five voters. (links)" / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "It’s great that Kasich has woken up &realized the importance of supporting a Biden-Harris ticket. I hope he gets through to GOP voters.
Yet also, something tells me a Republican who fights against women’s rights doesn’t get to say who is or isn’t representative of the Dem party." / Twitter

then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "We can build bridges & not lose sight of our values.
It’s important to remember that Kasich is an anti-choice extremist. He 100% will (and has) signed away our reproductive rights the moment he has the opportunity to do so. He is not a friend to workers. https://t.co/7S8504VZcK" / Twitter

noting
Ohio Gov. John Kasich signs one of the nation's most restrictive abortion bans; vetoes 'heartbeat bill'

However, I didn't see any mention of him in the DNC schedule. Nor such Republicans as Christine Todd Whitman, Meg Whitman and Susan Molinari.

Have to mention the video's endorsing Biden and damning Trump from Republicans:
Christine Todd Whitman, former governor of NJ
Meg Whitman, former president and CEO of HP
Susan Molinari, former US Rep from NY

Like most conventions over the last half-century or so, it is essentially a coronation, and the main excitement is usually over who will be selected as the Presidential candidate's running mate. The word has come out early: Kamala Harris.

Curiously, a Republican, John Kasich, has been granted a speaking slot. Here are some others who will be speaking:

Democrats to highlight 17 'rising stars' in convention keynote - Reuters
Democrats will highlight 17 young politicians they consider “rising stars,” including one-time vice presidential hopeful Stacey Abrams, on Tuesday, the second night of the party’s nominating convention.

Also speaking during the keynote will be Navajo Nation president Jonathan Nez; Nevada State Senator Yvanna Cancela, who is of Cuban descent and helped engineer Biden’s second-place finish in that closely-contested state’s Democratic caucus; Florida’s agriculture commissioner, Nikki Fried, who is the first woman to hold that position; and Representative Conor Lamb, who won a Pennsylvania “swing” district that helped Democrats seize control of the House of Representatives in 2018.
Note who is missing from that list. Several progressive Democrats, including some very notable ones. One of them is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and she will get 1 minute of prerecorded speaking time. She says about it:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "
“I only have a minute.
Sixty seconds in it.
Forced upon me, I did not choose it,
But I know that I must use it.
Give account if I abuse it.
Suffer, if I lose it.
Only a tiny little minute, But eternity is in it.”
- Dr. Benjamin E. Mays
(and recited by Elijah Cummings) ??????" / Twitter

Krystal and Saagar: Polls Show Voters Want To Hear From AOC MORE Than John Kasich Despite DNC Choice - YouTube with a screenshot of this:
Dave Weigel on Twitter: "From the new CBS poll of Democrats: Which of these people would you like to hear speak at the DNC?
@AOC
Yes: 63%
No: 37%
Bill Clinton
Yes: 56%
No: 44%
John Kasich
Yes: 38%
No: 62%
(link)" / Twitter

I think that the first night was a success. Loved Michelle Obama's speech. They all did great. I have been surprised at AOC only getting a minute. But AOC's specialty is fighting other democrats. The convention is about the democrats coming together, uniting, and trying to beat republicans. Sanders gets this. And his speech was awesome.

The Obama administration separated migrant children from families under certain limited circumstances, like when the child’s safety appeared at risk or when the parent had a serious criminal history.

But family separations as a matter of routine came about because of Trump’s “zero tolerance” enforcement policy, which he eventually suspended because of the uproar. Obama had no such policy.

I fell asleep during the second half because I'm an early morning person, but I did record the entire thing and might watch more of it later today. I was very impressed with what I watched. It was a wonderful change to see so much unity and inclusiveness after having a corrupt, dictatorial mobster as president for the last several years.

I personally love that so many people with different perspectives have been included because we don't just need to unite the Democratic Party, we need someone who is able to find common ground with all kinds of people who are willing to work together and find some commonalities.

This appears to be a very atypical convention. Just about every other one in recent history has been red meat for the base, preaching to the converted, galvanizing the true believers...pick your metaphor. This one appears to be appealing to centre rightists. I'm not sure if ignoring one's base is a viable strategy.

And then the DNC did something like deny TYT press credentials Personally, I think The Young Turks is a left-wing bobblehead version of The Daily Wire. I also think they are very influential amongst people who are inclined to vote for Biden. Shutting them out of the conversation is fucking stupid. This story is already picking up traction amongst some leftists, and I suspect whatever gains the Democrats will be outweighed by what they are going to lose telling Bernie/AOC supporters to go pound sand. I'm also willing to concede that I have no fucking clue what the attitudes of a "moderate American" are, so I could be well off. A scenario like when Nader/Perot pealed off votes in their respective elections could occur, just replace the hypothetical third party with apathy.

This appears to be a very atypical convention. Just about every other one in recent history has been red meat for the base, preaching to the converted, galvanizing the true believers...pick your metaphor. This one appears to be appealing to centre rightists. I'm not sure if ignoring one's base is a viable strategy.

And then the DNC did something like deny TYT press credentials Personally, I think The Young Turks is a left-wing bobblehead version of The Daily Wire. I also think they are very influential amongst people who are inclined to vote for Biden. Shutting them out of the conversation is fucking stupid. This story is already picking up traction amongst some leftists, and I suspect whatever gains the Democrats will be outweighed by what they are going to lose telling Bernie/AOC supporters to go pound sand. I'm also willing to concede that I have no fucking clue what the attitudes of a "moderate American" are, so I could be well off. A scenario like when Nader/Perot pealed off votes in their respective elections could occur, just replace the hypothetical third party with apathy.

Oh brother. They only had 250 tickets. I'll bet that many groups were denied. They had to prioritize some. It's incredibly hard to keep everyone happy. The young turks are more moderate anyway. Bernie was the third speaker and had a very prominent speaking role.

Bill Clinton's presentation tonight was very good. Good contrasting of Biden and Trump.

I liked the new format for each state casting their votes. Much more engaging and human when the person representing the state has time to say something pertinent while standing in front of a relevant scene.

Actually, quite beautifully done.

John Kerry doesn't seem to have aged a day from when he was the candidate. Brought back memories of how we used to have a coherent foreign policy. And why traditional Republicans should bite the bullet and vote for Biden.

Colin Powell was about as close as it gets to and endorsement from George Bush.

After watching the vignette by and about Jill Biden, yeah, now I get it. Joe Biden is a solid guy.

Whatever Trump's campaign cooks up it can't hold a candle to this. (Of course nobody cares and would rather hang out in the lounge.)

Last edited:
Democratic National Convention Schedule - 2020 Democratic National Convention

Speakers currently listed:
  • Monday:
    • Sen. Amy Klobuchar
    • Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto
    • Gov. Andrew Cuomo
    • Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
    • Rep. Jim Clyburn
    • Sen. Doug Jones
    • Sen. Bernie Sanders
    • Fmr. First Lady Michelle Obama
  • Tuesday:
    • Fmr. Acting US Atty. Gnl. Sally Yates
    • Sen. Chuck Schumer
    • Fmr. Sec'y of State John Kerry
    • Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
    • Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester
    • Fmr. Pres. Bill Clinton
    • Dr. Jill Biden
  • Wednesday:
    • Sen. Elizabeth Warren
    • Rep. Nancy Pelosi
    • Fmr. Sec'y of State Hillary Clinton
    • Gov. Tony Evers
    • Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham
    • Fmr. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords
    • Sen. Kamala Harris
    • Fmr. Pres. Barack Obama
  • Thursday:
    • Sen. Cory Booker
    • Fmr. Mayor Pete Buttigieg
    • Gov. Gavin Newsom
    • Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms
    • Sen. Tammy Baldwin
    • Sen. Tammy Duckworth
    • Sen. Chris Coons
    • Andrew Yang
    • Fmr. VP Joe Biden

What about Bloomberg? He spoke at the last one. And where has he been? Isn't he supposed to pouring money into the campaign? I know he's doing something on covid, but he needs to get in the game.

Didn't watch the first night, saw some tonight because I like the roll call, but disappointed there were no big, funny hats. What's a convention with hats?

The evening was fine up until the end of roll call, where it shot over to Biden and he was standing there kind of frozen and awkward looking, not saying anything. Maybe there was a video lag, they should have pre-recorded that part.

Saved millions of lives???

Yeah, he talks about that a lot.

It's based on the original estimate that if nothing at all was done about the virus more than 2 million would have died.

Not to mention the fact that he really hasn't done shit. Most of the life saving is being done by state government with no help from the feds.

AOC Democratic National Convention 2020 Address Seconding Nomination of Senator Sanders - YouTube
She got 1 1/2 minutes

AOC's full speech at the DNC tonight, she sure made her time worth it! Brief but comprehensive! : AOC has a transcript in an image file. I've OCRed it:
Good evening.

Thank you to everyone here today and gathering towards a better, more just future for our country and our world. In fidelity and gratitude to mass people's movement working to establish 21st century social, economic and human rights, including guaranteed health care, higher education, living wages, and labor rights for all people in the United States. A movement striving to recognize and repair the wounds of racial injustice, colonization, misogyny and homophobia, and to propose and build reimagined systems of immigration and foreign policy that turn away from the violence and xenophobia of our past. A movement that realizes the unsustainable brutality of an economy that rewards explosive inequalities of wealth for the few at the expense of long term stability for the many, and who organized a historic grassroots campaign to reclaim our democracy.

In a time when millions of people in the United States are looking for deep systemic solutions to our crises of mass evictions, unemployment, or lack of health care, in el espiritu del pueblo, and out of love for all people, I hereby second the nomination of Senator Bernard Sanders of Vermont for President of the United States of America.

Also here: Watch Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's full remarks at the 2020 DNC

Watch Sen. Bernie Sanders' full speech at the 2020 DNC
He got 8 1/2 minutes.

"Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfs."

The Memo: Democrats pitch Biden as the back-to-normal candidate | TheHill

Clinton tears into Trump over COVID-19 response in convention speech | TheHill
Former President Clinton ripped President Trump’s response to the coronavirus on Tuesday, accusing the president of dithering and spreading misinformation in the early days of the outbreak that he said resulted in the U.S. being hit harder by the pandemic.

Speaking from his home in Chappaqua, N.Y., on the second night of the virtual Democratic National Convention, Clinton said that instead of turning the Oval Office into a “command center” to address the pandemic, Trump turned the White House into a “storm center” that created additional “chaos.”

“At first, he said the virus was under control and would soon disappear,” Clinton said. “When it didn’t, he was on TV every day bragging on what a great job he was doing while our scientists waited to give us vital information. When he didn’t lie about the expert advice he was given, he ignored it. Only when COVID-19 exploded in more states did he urge people to wear masks. By then, many more were dying. ... Did it have to be this way? No. COVID hit us much harder than it had to.”

Back
Top Bottom