• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The and Now

Here are the senior pictures from LRCHS 1957.

Here is a video of the 2020 "virtual graduation" with pictures.

in 1957 the students were all white. These pictures are the spring graduates, the integration was in the fall.

The student population is now most black because of "white flight".

The US is in fact a racist society.

White Flight is about getting out of school districts that are going downhill.

Agree.

Mom and Dad moved out because of falling property values.

Here are the senior pictures from LRCHS 1957.

Here is a video of the 2020 "virtual graduation" with pictures.

in 1957 the students were all white. These pictures are the spring graduates, the integration was in the fall.

The student population is now most black because of "white flight".

The US is in fact a racist society.

White Flight is about getting out of school districts that are going downhill.

Agree.

I've left neighborhoods/school districts going downhill too and I'm black. Does that make me white?

Agree.

I've left neighborhoods/school districts going downhill too and I'm black. Does that make me white?

Obviously not, the neighborhood was almost all white until 1957, now almost all black.

Do you deny that white flight exists?

Obviously, I'm not [MENTION=346]Gospel[/MENTION];
But I'm pretty sure he was pointing out that it's more about socio-economic factors than race. I know it was when my parents moved the family from Gary, Indiana, to Indianapolis.
Tom

White flight was something that primarily happened in the 50s, 60s and early 70s. Yes. It was racist. It was due to White people's stupid beliefs that Black people moving into the neighborhood would hurt property values. Of course, property values will fall if a large number of people suddenly start moving out of an area. It's all about supply and demand, not skin color.

White flight was extremely common in the Northeast. I assume it was common in the South. I know of one White woman in her 90s that has lived in the same home since the 1950s. She is the only White person left in the neighborhood as all the racists moved out after some Black folks move into the neighborhood. I have a Black friend who lives 4 doors down from the one White woman who wasn't afraid of Black people moving in.

I've been in my home for 22 years. We didn't have any Black neighbors until 2005, when a Black nurse moved in a few doors down from me. Now we have about 20% Black/80% White mix of home owners. As the older home owners die or downsize, the neighborhood becomes more diverse in many ways. As far as I know, no White person has moved out because of our new Black neighbors. All of our neighborhoods in town are now somewhat integrated. All of our schools are very integrated, unlike places like New York City, which has the most segregated schools of any large city in the nation, or so I've read several times. I hope that changes.

New Jersey remains very segregated with a few exceptions. I attended a high school in NJ in the 60s that had 3000 students. Only about 20 of them were Black, and they were mostly. upper class children of professionals. Still, the small Black professional community lived in one section of town. The Northeast is far more segregated than the South is these days. When I have visited NJ, it's always shocking to me.

White flight is what led to redlining by realtors. Hopefully, we are over this type of racist nonsense, as most of us have learned to live side by side without worrying about home values declining. There was one family on my street who moved out a couple of months ago. They were White and if anyone was bringing down the neighborhood, it was them. They were loud, unfriendly and they always had at least 4 or 5 pick up trucks parked on the front lawn. If they moved out because so many Black people were moving in, then all I can say is "Thanks wonderful Black neighbors for helping us get rid of the worst neighbors I've ever had in my life." :D

I would say that the US is less racist than it has been in the past, despite what has happened during the Trump era. Thanks to the orange menace, it was okay to be racist again, but I hope that as more children grow up with the benefit of having friends who may not look like them, will get us to the place where racism is wrong again. Of course, we will never totally rid the world of all aspects of racism. Humans are too flawed as a species for that.

The US as well as most other Westernized countries used the labor of Black people to build their economies and they continued to devalue the contributions of Black people, sadly often to this day. Yes. It should be taught in school, but it doesn't need to have a fancy label. It's just part of the history of the country and children should be taught the truth.

Have some on the Left gone nuts in regards to this issue? Yes. A small percentage of people seem to think that every single White person is a racist and that none of us understand what Black folks have had to deal with when it comes to racist policies and racist police. But, I think some of those extreme "woke" views make Black people look like pitiful little victims, when most of the Black women who I know personally, or that I am friends with, are strong, vibrant people, who don't need White people to protect them. I'm more in line with MLK than I am with some of today's "woke" who use Black people to make themselves feel like they are their saviors. I'd find that insulting if I were a Black person. Just treat others as you like to be treated. The Golden Rule still works for the most part.

But, if you are ignorant in regards to the long history of racism in the US, I highly recommend Carol Anderson's book, "White Rage". She tells it like it was, in a very fair and objective way.

Obviously not, the neighborhood was almost all white until 1957, now almost all black.

But I'm pretty sure he was pointing out that it's more about socio-economic factors than race. I know it was when my parents moved the family from Gary, Indiana, to Indianapolis.
Tom

Ding ding ding ding ding!!! I think most white people that talk about areas with high crime and poor school just wanna say "See? Those niggers are doing it to themselves and aren't worth our time and effort" rather than, "Dang, this is America's problem; it won't be easy but we'll sort this out together". Together not only meaning help from outside the communities but from inside as well. This is happening already it just that things are looking so bad in some places that it seems no one is doing shit. I can say this until my face turns blue, It's a mixture of many things that cause certain areas to enter severe decline. Poverty is one of them, education is another, and many more but the most serious issue of them all is the people in those neighborhoods that don't give a fuck and the ones who think no one gives a fuck about them.

Agree.

I don't see anyone denying the flight exists. What we are saying is that it's about the schools, not about race. People aren't fleeing blacks, people are fleeing a flood of inferior students.

Tom

Ding ding ding ding ding!!! I think most white people that talk about areas with high crime and poor school just wanna say "See? Those niggers are doing it to themselves and aren't worth our time and effort" rather than, "Dang, this is America's problem; it won't be easy but we'll sort this out together". Together not only meaning help from outside the communities but from inside as well. This is happening already it just that things are looking so bad in some places that it seems no one is doing shit. I can say this until my face turns blue, It's a mixture of many things that cause certain areas to enter severe decline. Poverty is one of them, education is another, and many more but the most serious issue of them all is the people in those neighborhoods that don't give a fuck and the ones who think no one gives a fuck about them.

I agree that here are multiple causes and a multitude of thigs that may make things better.

I believe we are less racist now than in 57 but have a long way to go.

BTW, I lived in a mixed race neighborhood, the couple next door is a mixed race couple and we are friends.
We have a low crime rate.

I was also a member of the ALCU for many years.

White flight was something that primarily happened in the 50s, 60s and early 70s. Yes. It was racist. It was due to White people's stupid beliefs that Black people moving into the neighborhood would hurt property values. Of course, property values will fall if a large number of people suddenly start moving out of an area. It's all about supply and demand, not skin color.

At the time it was completely true.

Blacks had been denied decent education and they were suddenly being put in the schools with white students. No matter how much the left denies it schools are a reflection of the students, dump a bunch of students that are behind into a school and you will hurt the education of the rest. This will hurt property values.

I've been in my home for 22 years. We didn't have any Black neighbors until 2005, when a Black nurse moved in a few doors down from me. Now we have about 20% Black/80% White mix of home owners. As the older home owners die or downsize, the neighborhood becomes more diverse in many ways. As far as I know, no White person has moved out because of our new Black neighbors.

I'm not aware of any local moves that were racial in nature and this neighborhood has been diverse from day 1. The houses west of here are viewed with some distrust, though--the next development over is substantially less expensive and the likely source of the only crime relevant to us in the quarter century we have been here. (There was a rental used as a grow house, but other than the drama of the cops raiding it it caused no problems.) The suspect houses are far whiter than this development. (There was a rash of burglaries--since every house hit had nobody that looked like a physical threat, nor anyone I would think at all likely to have firearms it's pretty clear whoever was doing it knew the neighborhood. Probably a teenager.)

White flight is what led to redlining by realtors. Hopefully, we are over this type of racist nonsense, as most of us have learned to live side by side without worrying about home values declining. There was one family on my street who moved out a couple of months ago. They were White and if anyone was bringing down the neighborhood, it was them. They were loud, unfriendly and they always had at least 4 or 5 pick up trucks parked on the front lawn. If they moved out because so many Black people were moving in, then all I can say is "Thanks wonderful Black neighbors for helping us get rid of the worst neighbors I've ever had in my life." :D

While there are no doubt some racists it's clear that overall "redlining" is bankers making sane economic decisions.

I don't see anyone denying the flight exists. What we are saying is that it's about the schools, not about race. People aren't fleeing blacks, people are fleeing a flood of inferior students.

Well, plenty of Whites fled to avoid the increase in crime. It is what it is.

the most serious issue of them all is the people in those neighborhoods that don't give a fuck and the ones who think no one gives a fuck about them.

'It's not my fault you paid $250,000 and I paid a buck'

Three years ago, Lamar Grace left Detroit for the suburb of Southfield. He got a good deal — a 3,000-square-foot colonial that once was worth $220,000. In foreclosure, he paid $109,000.

The neighbors were not pleased.

"They don't want to live next door to ghetto folks," he says.

That his neighbors are black, like Grace, is immaterial. Many in the black middle class moved out of Detroit and settled in the northern suburbs years ago; now, due to foreclosures, it is easy to buy or rent houses on the cheap here. The result has been a new, poorer wave of arrivals from the city, and growing tensions between established residents and the newcomers.

The neighbors say there's more to it than that. People like John Clanton, a retired auto worker, say the new arrivals have brought behavior more common in the inner city — increased trash, adults and children on the streets at all times of the night, a disregard for others' property.

"During the summer months, I sat in the garage and at 3 o'clock in the morning you see them walking up and the down the streets on their cell phones talking," Clanton says. "They pull up (in cars) in the middle of the street, and they'll hold a conversation. You can't get in your driveway. You blow the horn and they look back at you and keep on talking. That's all Detroit."

Some of you obviously have no clue in regards to redlining. It was racist and it was supported by the federal government.

Here's an explanation from the Motley Fool, hardly a Left leaning site.

https://www.fool.com/millionacres/real-estate-market/articles/how-has-redlining-historically-impacted-real-estate-investing-in-different-cities/

Redlining was the vehicle the federal government used, under Federal Housing Administration (FHA) rules, to deny mortgage loans to people, usually those of color. The term "redlining" comes from the practice of literally outlining in red pen on a map the areas with a largely Black population. The redlined areas served as a warning to mortgage lenders of perceived riskier loans, based not on creditworthiness but on race.

So, people were literally denied loans due to the color of their skin, not on their creditworthiness!

Redlining went on from the 1930s until 1968, when it ended with the passage of the Fair Housing Act, which makes it illegal to practice housing discrimination based on race. The effect of redlining was to segregate white and Black people, with white people largely living in subdivisions with detached homes and Black people mainly living in urban housing projects or in rental units bought by investors who rented to Black families unable to get mortgage loans.

This racist practice kept many Black families out of the housing market back when homes were very affordable. By the time that redlining was banned, homes in the most redlined cities became unaffordable to most Black families. Since home ownership is the most common way that the average person builds wealth, this practice kept Black families from having the advantage of building wealth from home ownership.

So, again, I will make the claim that while America still has significant problems with racism, it's not nearly as bad as it was in the past. It's just that we recently had a racist president who brought out the worst in people who already had racist tendencies.

There is a lot more in the article.

According to the mapping project, these are the 10 cities with the largest redlined areas:

New York.
Chicago.
Los Angeles.
Philadelphia.
San Francisco.
Boston.
San Diego.
Detroit.
Milwaukee.
Baltimore.
In those cities, only 27% of the population is Black.

Back
Top Bottom