• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Art of the Deal?

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
 Trump: The Art of the Deal (1987) is Donald Trump's first book, or at least the first book with his name on it, since it was ghostwritten by Tony Schwartz. From Wikipedia,
The book talks about Trump's childhood in Jamaica Estates, Queens. It then describes his early work in Brooklyn prior to moving to Manhattan and building The Trump Organization, his actions and thoughts in developing the Grand Hyatt Hotel and Trump Tower, in renovating Wollman Rink, and regarding various other projects.[9] The book also contains an 11-step formula for business success, inspired by Norman Vincent Peale's The Power of Positive Thinking.[10]
During his 2016 campaign, Donald Trump presented himself as a great dealmaker, and he showed off that book. But how has he performed as a dealmaker while in office?

VERY BADLY.

Consider the squabble between Nancy Pelosi and the four progressive congresswomen sometimes nicknamed "The Squad" - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, and Ilhan Omar. If DT had any dealmaking sense, he would have tried to split NP and The Squad by offering cooperation or some goodies or whatever to NP, but only if she tries to sideline The Squad. But he didn't. He bellowed with rage that The Squad's members ought to go back to their horrible home countries, fix them, and only then may they return. That caused the Democratic Party to embrace The Squad and condemn his demands, for NP and IO to appear together in West Africa, and for NP and AOC to have a meeting that both agreed went very well, with NP saying that AOC was "very gracious", and with the two Congresswomen posing together for a picture.

Or trying to buy Greenland. He acted more like a toddler than a great dealmaker. Or his trade war with China. What kind of dealmaking is that?

In other international diplomacy, he has also failed to make good deals.

Reading Hank and Jim, a history of Henry Fonda's and James Stewart's friendship, and some of the personalities in Hollywood's history.

One reference was to a studio exec. A union boss repected him because despite being a real bastard negotiator, at the end a handshake was enough. 'What he said you'd get, you got, without needing five lawyers and a memo.'
REAL dealmakers have to be trusted. Even aside from years of stiffing contractors, and taking credit for others' work, just that bit about 'i will take ownership of the shutdown'/'their fault!' dance shows he's no negotiator.

Donald Trump's Ghostwriter Thinks He's The "Most Purely Evil Human Being" He's Met

Donald Trump apparently does not enjoy that effect. His ghostwriter on The Art of the Deal, Tony Schwartz, told Reddit during an Ask Me Anything session that the president is "the most purely evil human being" Schwartz has ever met.

"I believe deeply that most people are better than their worst behaviours," he wrote. "I also believe there are some who are simply irredeemable and evil. [Psychiatrist and author] Scott Peck called them 'People of the Lie'. They lack any conscience, as Trump does, and so they're almost purely evil. Trump is the most purely evil human being I've ever met, and also the most insecure."

The worst thing about working with Trump? "The shortness of his attention span and his utter lack of interest in anything but himself."

Off topic, but if Boris Johnson pulls off Brexit he can write a book and title it "The Art of No Deal". The sad thing is that, unlike the Donald, the Boris is smart enough to write it himself.

Back
Top Bottom