• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The best solution to poverty is a robust job market, not minimum wage

Axulus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Right leaning skeptic
No government forced Wal-Mart to offer these wages in Williston, ND

Where is the so called "race to the bottom" in Williston, ND?

CGJd1O2VAAAqEZU.jpg

I guess randomly executing rich people and seizing their property to pay for all government spending is a non-starter then?

I think it was figured that if Walmart paid a living wage and passed the cost directly and completely to the consumer, who are also the employees, the price increase is pennies.
To reply to the op, a high unemployment rate or rather a small pool of unemployed would raise the price of labor. It would give the workers more leverage because in the scenario of near full employment workers would be a scarce commodity and in an exchange value economy scarce resources demand higher prices. No good capitalist would ever want this to happen to the labor market... Can you imagine?!

Actually do you want to talk about rents and housing in Williston? Because ATCOs aren't bringing those rents down. Each pair of windows represent one unit. When I lived in one, we lived four to one unit. Each building is essentially a semi-trailer container. There are three units to a container. These "buildings" are made of six (2 rows of 3) containers.

mod-mancamp-williston-nd-associated-press-credit-575x383.jpg

Menards was(?) flying in workers from Wisconsin: http://bakken.com/news/id/63512/menards-opens-minot-nd-flys-workers-weekly/

Yup, all we need to do is kill enough Americans to create a worker shortage and BOOM!!! ... $17 an hour jobs.
I would like to see prices in that WalMart compared to some other Walmarts
I'd presume not too high, it is that the shortage of workers makes it harder to sell merchandise.

CGJd1O2VAAAqEZU.jpg

Haven't we already done this one?

The question is how to create a robust job market.

Especially when we consider wages to be a cost of production that we should keep as low as possible because raising them raises the prices of goods forcing us to lay off people negating any advantage of raising the wages.

All of the while considering yet another cost of production that also raises prices to have none of the evil job killing effects that we imagine for the evil wage increases. In fact increasing prices by increasing this cost of production is the mother's milk of the economy, its sole purpose for existing. This good and non-job killing cost of production is profits.

This is obviously a load of rubbish. But it is rubbish that makes a very few people exceedingly rich. And by being exceedingly rich they are able to convince the large majority of people that this obvious rubbish is actually true. That it is just common sense. That it is not even open to question.

They have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

Because ATCOs aren't bringing those rents down. Each pair of windows represent one unit. When I lived in one, we lived four to one unit. Each building is essentially a semi-trailer container. There are three units to a container. These "buildings" are made of six (2 rows of 3) containers.

So you are saying that without these ATCOs, rents would be the same?

Especially when we consider wages to be a cost of production that we should keep as low as possible because raising them raises the prices of goods forcing us to lay off people negating any advantage of raising the wages.

Huh? You do understand the difference between artificially raising wages (through government action) because the demand for such workers isn't very strong vs. wages rising because the demand is strong, correct? Please tell me you can explain the difference.

Because ATCOs aren't bringing those rents down. Each pair of windows represent one unit. When I lived in one, we lived four to one unit. Each building is essentially a semi-trailer container. There are three units to a container. These "buildings" are made of six (2 rows of 3) containers.

Nope. What I am pointing out is the cost of living is very high even in "low cost" housing.

Nope. What I am pointing out is the cost of living is very high even in "low cost" housing.

And they would be even higher without it. The problem is that it takes time to add new housing supply to balance out the influx of people, especially when people continue to funnel into the area. Supply can be added faster with ATCOs compared with building apartment buildings with average square footage of, say, 800 per unit. Also, building a bunch of apartment complexes is also a highly risky endeavor given that the city is dependent on a single industry, a single industry which is subject to booms and busts. Agreed?

Huh? You do understand the difference between artificially raising wages (through government action) because the demand for such workers isn't very strong vs. wages rising because the demand is strong, correct? Please tell me you can explain the difference.

It isn't artificially raising wages. Employers benefit from the contributions of their employees. As such, employees need to be compensated. Compensation needs to reflect the needs of employees, and it most cases, that means at full time hours a wage sufficient for living expenses without incurring substantial debt. While 'living wage' is an awkward term when applied to different family situations in areas with disparate costs of living, the basic concept isn't that hard to grasp. Raising minimum wage is not because demand for certain workers isn't strong; it's because certain employers will take advantage of people's desperation when demand is low.

While 'living wage' is an awkward term when applied to different family situations in areas with disparate costs of living, the basic concept isn't that hard to grasp. Raising minimum wage is not because demand for certain workers isn't strong; it's because certain employers will take advantage of people's desperation when demand is low.

The demand for such labor isn't strong enough to require living wages in relation to the supply available to obtain the desired number of workers, hence why people call for government action.

This is in comparison to the vast majority of jobs where the demand for such labor is strong enough in relation to the supply available and therefore the wages higher.

Clearly there is a difference between the demand being strong enough to require a "living wage" be paid to obtain the number needed vs. implementing artificial action in scenarios where the demand is not high enough in relation to supply.

And they would be even higher without it. The problem is that it takes time to add new housing supply to balance out the influx of people, especially when people continue to funnel into the area.

And how is this different than your relaxing of building codes idea?

And they would be even higher without it. The problem is that it takes time to add new housing supply to balance out the influx of people, especially when people continue to funnel into the area.

And how is this different than your relaxing of building codes idea?

We agree that if building codes in Willison, ND prohibited ATCOs from being built, rents would be higher, correct?

I ponder if the Underwear Gnomes hacked Axulus's account.

1) Create Robust Economy
2) End unemployment

Back
Top Bottom