• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Bible

DLH

Basic Beliefs
Bible Believer
The Bible is a terribly misunderstood work. Misrepresented by Christendom and slandered by the heathen, it is unfortunate that the meaning of the Bible is obscured by what amounts to little more than political propaganda from each side. If we set this aside, and we take an honest look at the Bible, it would do a service to the believer and the unbeliever alike. The meaning of the Bible, being harmonious from Genesis to Revelation, can be summed up in one brief phrase. The vindication Of Jehovah God's name through the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus. From there we begin to learn what that is all about.

some of us start with Genesis 1:1

The word bara (created) is in the Hebrew perfect state, which indicates an action complete. At the point in time of Genesis 1:1 in the narrative, the creation of the heavens, including the luminaries, and the Earth was complete. Later, in Genesis 1:16 the Hebrew word asah (made) is used. Asah is in the imperfect state, indicating continuous action. The heavens and Earth were created in verse 1 and an indeterminate time later they were being prepared for habitation, much the same as a bed is manufactured (complete) and made (continuous) afterwards.

The word bara (created) is in the Hebrew perfect state, which indicates an action complete. At the point in time of Genesis 1:1 in the narrative, the creation of the heavens, including the luminaries, and the Earth was complete. Later, in Genesis 1:16 the Hebrew word asah (made) is used. Asah is in the imperfect state, indicating continuous action. The heavens and Earth were created in verse 1 and an indeterminate time later they were being prepared for habitation, much the same as a bed is manufactured (complete) and made (continuous) afterwards.
yeah we have an understanding that the Earth was created by gravity, not God.
furthermore Genesis 1:2-5 says:
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
Take note that the Earth was without form, and morning referred to sunrise back then so there was no morning.. the sun didn't rise above the Earth's horizon. AND morning is delineated by afternoon, where the Sun is high in the sky, no Earth no high in the sky and no morning.

Take note that the Earth was without form, and the evening is delineated by the Sun being high in the sky so there there was no evening... the Sun was not high in the sky. let alone a sunset delineation.

So now we have 2 errors and third entry which is better explained by gravity than by the old magic deity "God"... after all I am not the one who isn't producing God in the sense that God exists as something more than a fictional character.
ping, pong.

Last edited:
The meaning of the Bible, being harmonious from Genesis to Revelation, can be summed up in one brief phrase. The vindication Of Jehovah God's name through the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus.
But Jesus doesn't fit the prophecies of the Messiah. It's not harmonious.

But Jesus doesn't fit the prophecies of the Messiah. It's not harmonious.

Event Born of the tribe of Judah
Prophecy Genesis 49:10
Fulfillment Luke 3:23-33

Event Born of a virgin
Prophecy Isaiah 7:14
Fulfillment Matthew 1:18-25

Event Descended from King David
Prophecy Isaiah 9:7
Fulfillment Matthew 1:1, 6-17

Event Declared by Jehovah to be his Son
Prophecy Psalm 2:7
Fulfillment Matthew 3:17

Event Not believed in
Prophecy Isaiah 53:1
Fulfillment John 12:37,*38

Event Entered Jerusalem riding an ass
Prophecy Zechariah 9:9
Fulfillment Matthew 21:1-9

Event Betrayed by a close associate
Prophecy Psalm 41:9
Fulfillment John 13:18, 21-30

Event Betrayed for 30 silver pieces
Prophecy Zechariah 11:12
Fulfillment Matthew 26:14-16

Event Silent before his accusers
Prophecy Isaiah 53:7
Fulfillment Matthew 27:11-14

Event Lots cast for his garments
Prophecy Psalm 22:18
Fulfillment Matthew 27:35

Event Reviled while on the stake
Prophecy Psalm 22:7, 8
Fulfillment Matthew 27:39-43

Event None of his bones broken
Prophecy Psalm 34:20
Fulfillment John 19:33,*36

Event Buried with the rich
Prophecy Isaiah 53:9
Fulfillment Matthew 27:57-60

Event Raised before corruption
Prophecy Psalm 16:10
Fulfillment Acts 2:24,*27

Event Exalted to God’s right hand
Prophecy Psalm 110:1
Fulfillment Acts 7:56

yeah we have an understanding that the Earth was created by gravity, not God.

An understanding? That is an unique terminology. You mean, speculation? Opinion? Theory?

furthermore Genesis 1:2-5 says:
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
Take note that the Earth was without form, and morning referred to sunrise back then so there was no morning.. the sun didn't rise above the Earth's horizon. AND morning is delineated by afternoon, where the Sun is high in the sky, no Earth no high in the sky and no morning.

Take note that the Earth was without form, and the evening is delineated by the Sun being high in the sky so there there was no evening... the Sun was not high in the sky. let alone a sunset delineation.

So now we have 2 errors and third entry which is better explained by gravity than by the old magic deity "God"... after all I am not the one who isn't producing God in the sense that God exists as something more than a fictional character.
ping, pong.

I don't think this makes any sense whatsoever.

sorry you don't understand, and yes we have proof and evidence look into astrophysics and chemistry.
it is easy peasy, morning and evening didn't exist yet god said it was morning and evening.

The Bible is a terribly misunderstood work.

Certainly misunderstood by many. The most basic misunderstanding is that it is one coherent thing. It is not. "The Bible" (and there are many versions) is really an anthology of works, compiled over a long period of time and subsequently edited and translated over and over again.

Misrepresented by Christendom and slandered by the heathen, it is unfortunate that the meaning of the Bible is obscured by what amounts to little more than political propaganda from each side.

In a very real way, the Bible is itself propaganda. Books written with an eye to proving that Jesus was the messiah. It isn't a miracle or a coincidence that Jesus is claimed to have "fulfilled" all the "prophecies" you mentioned earlier. The "meaning" of the New Testament is salesmanship.

If you're here to make the sales pitch, you may find yourself disappointed. We've heard it many times.

who'd a thunk a work plagiarized and amended with whoop la has a special meaning...

sorry you don't understand, and yes we have proof and evidence look into astrophysics and chemistry.

At what date will I have been able to "look into astrophysics and chemistry" and at what date can I expect to end that endeavor? In other words, how long have they speculated - sorry - "understood" your earlier proposition to have been the case and how much longer can they expect to keep this "understanding" before changing it?

it is easy peasy, morning and evening didn't exist yet god said it was morning and evening.

Only morning and evening? What about night and afternoon? The morning and evening is metaphorical.

yeah of course the bible is metaphorical because it sure isn't relative to what we experience and you have yet to produce a god, any god.
A story about a fish isn't going to feed the fisherman nor his family and the God of the bible is just like the metaphorical fish that feeds the fisherman and his family.. God has yet to be produced.
I'd give you credit if you could produce a metaphorical fish, honest I would.
oh yeah, your education into what astrophysics and chemistry is would help right now.

The Bible is a terribly misunderstood work. Misrepresented by Christendom and slandered by the heathen, it is unfortunate that the meaning of the Bible is obscured by what amounts to little more than political propaganda from each side. If we set this aside, and we take an honest look at the Bible, it would do a service to the believer and the unbeliever alike.

Ok, I'm willing to listen. What d'ya got?

The meaning of the Bible, being harmonious from Genesis to Revelation, can be summed up in one brief phrase. The vindication Of Jehovah God's name through the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus. From there we begin to learn what that is all about.
You have to be fucking kidding me. Are we talking about the same Bible?

ZZZZZ...

Oh, sorry, I fell asleep trying to read that.

Lessee, proselytizing, against TOU, you may want to fix that.

We'll continue this discussion never.

ZZZZZ...

Oh, sorry, I fell asleep trying to read that.

Lessee, proselytizing, against TOU, you may want to fix that.

We'll continue this discussion never.

Which do you think is more revealing, that discussion of sacred text is only likely to be tolerated from the perspective of the infidel or that you bothered to inform me that our discussion was over before it started? I think the latter, though it is extremely close.

An understanding? That is an unique terminology. You mean, speculation? Opinion? Theory?

By putting the word Theory in the same row as speculation and opinion you prove you don't understand what a scientific theory is.

There is absolutely no question that the Earth was formed out of a stellar accretion disk through the process of gravity. This is a well understood process and one we're currently observing around several other stars

I don't think this makes any sense whatsoever.

I agree, the biblical account of creation makes no sense whatsoever.

You have to be fucking kidding me. Are we talking about the same Bible?

Wow. Noble Savage, Iznomneak, Keith&Co. . . . the entire former SAB mob in attendance. This is like old times.

Yes, Noble. The same Bible.

yeah of course the bible is metaphorical because it sure isn't relative to what we experience and you have yet to produce a god, any god.

How does it differ from what we experience and what difference does that make? Produce a god? God's are a dime a dozen. You want a god? I can get you a god. Hell, I can get you a god by 3:00 A.M.

A story about a fish isn't going to feed the fisherman nor his family and the God of the bible is just like the metaphorical fish that feeds the fisherman and his family.
God has yet to be produced.
I'd give you credit if you could produce a metaphorical fish, honest I would.

Your mode of speech is difficult to follow, Earthling man.

oh yeah, your education into what astrophysics and chemistry is would help right now.

Well, admittedly, it seems to have worked wonders for you.

By putting the word Theory in the same row as speculation and opinion you prove you don't understand what a scientific theory is.

Enlighten me on the difference between theory and speculation. From my perspective, a theological one, perhaps it could be said, and from your perspective, being theoretical we could have a discussion, no? And I didn't mention anything about science.

There is absolutely no question that the Earth was formed out of a stellar accretion disk through the process of gravity. This is a well understood process and one we're currently observing around several other stars

There currently is no question, you mean. That could change.

I agree, the biblical account of creation makes no sense whatsoever.

Precisely what about it makes no sense whatsoever, in your opinion?

Back
Top Bottom