• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Calming Effect of Evoltion and Immortality

Thank you for responding Keith&C0. The metaphor I used with the chicken and egg was a loose metaphor. No need to pick the carcass clean. I think you got the idea.
Well, yeah. I got the idea that your metaphor doesn't stand up to the slightest bit of scrutiny and you have very odd ideas about what evolution is.
The evolution of nature as well as her capacity to build intuition over time can be found in A New Science of Life written by whatshisface. It is science and not just an a-hole spewing nonsense like you would naturally and without blame assume it to be.
Wow, that's pretty amazing support for your idea. But it's more of an IOU for an answer, just shifting everything over to 'this guy said.
Nature is like our brains and it is an entity of sorts. Nature learns and apparently thinks. The more important question would be where does the human mind store acquired information, not nature.
I gotta say, that's bullshit.

Not whether or not there's any controversy on how our brains store information, but YOU compared Nature to the human brain as a learning, intuitive agency, NOW you're suggesting mysteries about the human brain you were comparing nature to? Then what was the point of the metaphor in the first place?

It's like a big game of 'keep away.'
and I'll do my best to give you references and avoid being silly.
Looks like it's too late.

Well, yeah. I got the idea that your metaphor doesn't stand up to the slightest bit of scrutiny and you have very odd ideas about what evolution is.
The evolution of nature as well as her capacity to build intuition over time can be found in A New Science of Life written by whatshisface. It is science and not just an a-hole spewing nonsense like you would naturally and without blame assume it to be.
Wow, that's pretty amazing support for your idea. But it's more of an IOU for an answer, just shifting everything over to 'this guy said.
Nature is like our brains and it is an entity of sorts. Nature learns and apparently thinks. The more important question would be where does the human mind store acquired information, not nature.

Not whether or not there's any controversy on how our brains store information, but YOU compared Nature to the human brain as a learning, intuitive agency, NOW you're suggesting mysteries about the human brain you were comparing nature to? Then what was the point of the metaphor in the first place?

Well Keith&Co I'm just a digger like you. I show up every year or so and I see that you have not found one shred of evidence about anything that I see, to support anything other than what others have taught you from their arcane and infantile knowledge passed down through "education". The true bullshit is what you think you have learned.

I find it an "odd idea" to talk about God for years when you disavow the existence of it completely, supposedly. If we are going to address odd ideas then let us shift into the psychologicals of why and how you keep digging.

You know me by now, and you know I say some strange things that have no actual merit in "reality", but for some reason it upsets you enough to be cruel to me. I try to be humorous and thought provoking, if only to myself. There is no real harm in anything I say. You, on the other hand, possess the intellect to hurt a person's feelings with your recycled routine of degradation. You drop the objectivity and you become immature when you talk to me and I find it insulting.

Talk about a game of keep away... how long can you keep away from God? I believe you're closer to God than I am. Looks like maybe it is too late, like you said. Inevitability will draw you to the transcendental object you obviously and so desperately seek, and it will probably happen very soon.

I think formative causation was the term I was avoiding looking up. There is your IOU. As for the brain aspect, there is confusion and speculation but no real answers because that is the nature of reality. The closer you get to the meaning - the sooner you know that you are dreaming. That isn't my quote. That is Ronnie James Dio, so out of respect for the man can we please just ponder his words for a moment?

Okay that was a nice pause.

I don't like looking stuff up, K&C. It is all nonsense. Everything they say is false, everything I say is false, but OF COURSE everything you say is totally true because several other pretentious people deemed it to be so. Truth is we are all wrong. It is fun to play and I'm totally a philosophy archaeologist but it is all wrong. Nothing is true unless you believe that nothing is true. Even then, that too is untrue. There is no escaping it. In recent pasts I have explained to you why nothing can be fact, and I am willing to forgo an IOU and explain that further. It has to do with protecting us from the destructiveness of knowledge. Ask and I'll give you a paragraph that spans five pages. It is as valid an argument as any you can make in your seemingly endless quest to disprove (find) God.

By the way, I in no way mean to insult you and nothing I said is intended to be interpreted and fact.

I think what you are saying about nature is that competition within lines produces more effective thermodynamic processes which is certainly one outcome of evolution. Evolution has no intent yet selection produces better outcomes. Like a ball rolling down a hill.

I find the notion of being immortal too dreadful seriously to contemplate. Anyway, unless your brain were replaced by a vast computer, how would you recall enough to retain any meaningful identity? I think the whole notion is based on a naïve notion of the Self.

I find this fascinating. I'm not sure if that would change or not with immorality. I'm inclined to think of the self kind of illusory, I mean, I'm not who I was when I was 20, or 30. My memory isn't that great, but I still feel as if I'm me, whatever that means.

Myself, I wonder what would happen to religion once the ultimate carrot is removed? I think if immortality became cheap and reliable, it would separate the truly faithful from the posers.

The difficulty is that the language, first developed by creatures not far from chimpanzees, insists on 'I' if we are to make the simplest statements, heavily weakening our doubts about 'self' whenever we speak.

In just functional terms we are a continuation of some identity; that is if you believe in functionalism. My unique neural structure and its functionality does not change very much even though its material may have been totally replaced. We may soon be able to scan and record this necessary information so that we can keep our functionality staying constant.

Last edited:
Well, yeah. I got the idea that your metaphor doesn't stand up to the slightest bit of scrutiny and you have very odd ideas about what evolution is. Wow, that's pretty amazing support for your idea. But it's more of an IOU for an answer, just shifting everything over to 'this guy said.

Well Keith&Co I'm just a digger like you.
A 'digger' who doesn't look things up because it's all bullshit.
Okay.

Who wants to live forever? You're basically an old shitbag after 50 or 60.

Are you going to get to 150, for what? Eating bagels and gelatin?
The concept you're looking for is eternal youth, not eternal life.

Obviously living forever would mean better health standards for advanced ages; that technology is not just going to stop, come on.

But, even the people I know, like my grandmother, who are in their late 80's seem to be happy to be alive. Many are still active directly because of relatively new health technologies.

A vastly extended lifespan would be intolerable without extended youth, vitality and well being.
Right. It's that ability to interact with the environment that makes life what it is. When we lose that we may still be alive in a biological sense but life is gone.

But another (far stronger in my view) reason people give for wanting to live longer is that they don't want to die. An extra 50 years of eating bagels and gelatin is something at least, compared to death.

But another (far stronger in my view) reason people give for wanting to live longer is that they don't want to die. An extra 50 years of eating bagels and gelatin is something at least, compared to death.

At its core the trade off between longevity and extent of productive life is whether post productive individuals have more value than costs. There is some evidence that in man, a social being, grandparents reduce child mortality primarily and adult mortality a bit as well.

It depends on how you take care of yourself. You don't have to be an old shitbag by then.

Back
Top Bottom