• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The "deep focus conundrum" in film

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
I stumbled upon this blog entry a few days back, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I don't think anyone seriously denies the fact that deep focus emerged long before Citizen Kane, but the blogger focuses on specific scenes from a handful of films, without giving much detail about how they fit into the general history of the medium, or the films themselves. Were the specific examples representative of the full cinematography of the respective films? Did they have a major impact on subsequent films that utilized deep focus? That's not to mention the various cinematographers and directors he cites - only three of Sadao Yamanaka's films are known to be extant, and he doesn't provide examples from them to bolster his point. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

EDIT: To give an example of details, the blogger doesn't mention Minoru Miki, the cinematographer who worked on several of Kenji Mizoguchi's films (along with Junzou Sone, a contemporary). Wouldn't it be good to delve into Miki's contributions, rather than simply mentioning Mizoguchi's name without any elaboration?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom