• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Environmental Impact of War

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
Something I have not heard discussed on the news is the amount of extra carbon being released into the atmosphere due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Obviously for Ukraine, it’s immediate survival is at issue, and they don’t give a shit about the environmental impact. Russia doesn’t either. But is all of this fighting putting significantly more carbon into the atmosphere? Or is it negligible compared to the US car driving habits?

what other environmental impacts are there?

Something I have not heard discussed on the news is the amount of extra carbon being released into the atmosphere due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Obviously for Ukraine, it’s immediate survival is at issue, and they don’t give a shit about the environmental impact. Russia doesn’t either. But is all of this fighting putting significantly more carbon into the atmosphere? Or is it negligible compared to the US car driving habits?

what other environmental impacts are there?

I wouldn't worry about the carbon--I would expect the net effect to be negative. War breaks things that would otherwise have produced carbon.

WWII caused a decrease in carbon emissions. AFIAK no other war has been big enough and recent enough for such a pattern to be noted.

Back
Top Bottom