• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The fight over Demoulas' Market Basket

ksen

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinist
It's a family owned grocery chain in New England. Over the summer the board ousted employee-friendly CEO Arthur T. DeMoulas. Employees walked off the job, there were protests, consumers stopped shopping there this passed summer.

Looks like it's been resolved and Arthur T. is back in charge.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hollies...-settle-family-score-with-market-basket-deal/

The two Arthurs are named after their grandfather, a Greek immigrant who started the family business as a small shop selling lamb and vegetables from their farm in Dracut, MA. Arthur T.’s mantra ‘we’re in the people business first and the grocery business second’ earned him a fervent loyalty. The company’s generous pension plan means many retire with a nest egg of over $1 million, alongside above market wages and regular bonuses. Meanwhile, cousin Arthur S. and his sisters are seen as motivated only by a desire for bigger and bigger cash dividends, the latest of which was a $300 million dividend paid out as soon as their side of the family gained control of the board last summer.

A heartwarming tale of a family dispute being settled by the wiring of large sums of cash.

I was glad to see this ending. I hope they get back up to speed fast. I remember shopping there when it was still called "Demoulas." My father, who loved a bargain so much that he was known as a guy who "would buy a herd of armadillos, if they were bruised," felt this was a budget-friendly place. I'm really happy to see the guy that keeps the profit shared among all of the profit-makers come out as the winner.

edited to add:
Was reading up on Wiki to recall the dates we used to shop there. They have some of the lowest prices of grocery chains AND pay their workers $12/hr. Magic.

Back
Top Bottom