• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The George W. Bush and Barack Obama you forgot

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Obama not so much, maybe because it hasn't been that long. But who the hell is that George W. Bush guy in 2000? I'd vote for him.

Interesting, I think like Obama when things became uncertain, when it called for real strength of character (and I don't want to be too judgmental as I don't have it), he was unable to stand up to the ideologically misguided (evil) neocons. The myth of American exceptionalism is too strong in the psyche for most leaders to be able to take a principled approach.
It's sad and pathetic to see Obama continually appeal to it.

Bush took me in completely. I thought he crushed Gore on foreign policy in every debate. By the time of Obama I wasn't so easily fooled. First he was going to get the troops out right away. Then it was just the combat troops. Then it was over 16 months. And then he was going to escalate in Afghanistan. He wasn't nearly as consistent as Bush. No question about it, Bush was a much better liar.

I think that W. surrounded himself with the wrong people. If I'm not mistaken he was the only president with an MBA. He delegated too much. I'd like to read his biography. I wonder if he had the chance to do things differently what he would do.

I think that W. surrounded himself with the wrong people. If I'm not mistaken he was the only president with an MBA. He delegated too much. I'd like to read his biography. I wonder if he had the chance to do things differently what he would do.

I don't think he delegated enough. He was an idiot and couldn't be trusted to make decisions. Unfortunately, a lot of the decisions he did make were deciding who it was that he was going to delegate to. Being an idiot, he chose the wrong people.

If he had the chance to do things differently, he'd still be an idiot and still make the wrong decisions as a result of his idiocy.

I think that W. surrounded himself with the wrong people. If I'm not mistaken he was the only president with an MBA. He delegated too much.
You clearly don't remember much at all about him. That was supposed to be his strength. His handlers (Karen Hughes) knew they couldn't sell him much as a statesman, so they said he was a great manager (as well as a great uniter... yeah, remember that gem?). He couldn't even choose his own VP. The guy delegated to do that, took the job. He was a crap leader and a crap manager.
I'd like to read his biography. I wonder if he had the chance to do things differently what he would do.
He'd avoid having to answer that question. His response to Woodward regarding answering to a higher father tells you all you need to know about his mindset especially related to Iraq. His father was George HW Bush, one of the better people to talk with about Iraq. And instead, he talks about god being his father. Some say he is a nice guy. Funny how Carter is absolutely excoriated by so many in this nation, yet helped to improve things, where as W left the world in a much worse place than when he entered it. As I personally note, There was no problem the W Administration couldn't address with awful foresight, poor planning, with even worse execution.

He did only a few things right, Do Not Call list, aggressive funding for HIV treatment in Africa. signing the TARP bill without his own party's support. He lied about nation building (which may very well have been a premeditated lie seeing how quickly they turned their sights on Iraq), he lied about not touching the Social Security surplus (remember that promise? Wait... that wasn't a promise, it was a "symbolic promise"), he sure the hell wasn't a uniter (drove a Jeb Jeffords out of the party).
Bush took me in completely. I thought he crushed Gore on foreign policy in every debate.
Wait! Wait! Wait! ....

Yeah, he was cleaning Gore's clock.

Personnel is policy. If he surrounded himself with the wrong people it's because he wanted the wrong policies to get implemented. You don't appoint Mahatma Gandhi as Minister of Defense if you want to go to war, and you don't make Dick Cheney your VP if you want to promote world peace.

You clearly don't remember much at all about him. That was supposed to be his strength. His handlers (Karen Hughes) knew they couldn't sell him much as a statesman, so they said he was a great manager (as well as a great uniter... yeah, remember that gem?). He couldn't even choose his own VP. The guy delegated to do that, took the job. He was a crap leader and a crap manager.
I'd like to read his biography. I wonder if he had the chance to do things differently what he would do.
He'd avoid having to answer that question. His response to Woodward regarding answering to a higher father tells you all you need to know about his mindset especially related to Iraq. His father was George HW Bush, one of the better people to talk with about Iraq. And instead, he talks about god being his father. Some say he is a nice guy. Funny how Carter is absolutely excoriated by so many in this nation, yet helped to improve things, where as W left the world in a much worse place than when he entered it. As I personally note, There was no problem the W Administration couldn't address with awful foresight, poor planning, with even worse execution.

He did only a few things right, Do Not Call list, aggressive funding for HIV treatment in Africa. signing the TARP bill without his own party's support. He lied about nation building (which may very well have been a premeditated lie seeing how quickly they turned their sights on Iraq), he lied about not touching the Social Security surplus (remember that promise? Wait... that wasn't a promise, it was a "symbolic promise"), he sure the hell wasn't a uniter (drove a Jeb Jeffords out of the party).
Bush took me in completely. I thought he crushed Gore on foreign policy in every debate.
Wait! Wait! Wait! ....

Yeah, he was cleaning Gore's clock.

Absolutely. Gore and Liberman as well were all about nation-building and intervention. Bush's replies were much like the video above and so were Cheney's.

Bush certainly left the country in a mess, but citing Carter as a guy who did wonderful things is ludicrous. He totally mis-handled the Iran hostage crisis, and he left the economy in a shambles. What did he do that was good? I'll have to think about that for a long time. Maybe I can get back to you on that next month.

Back
Top Bottom