• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The God of communicating healthy boundaries

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I just had a cool insight. Hermes was the god of communication and also the god of boundaries. So also the god of communicating healthy boundaries. If this is what the ancient Greeks had in mind, it's pretty awesome. I suspect its a coincidence. I somehow doubt cultures with institutional and mandated boy fucking ever discussed healthy boundaries in relationships. Still cool.

You can replace Hermes for Thoth. Different look and different symbols. But functionally the same God.

It's also a very very old god. With murky origins. It is a god that was widely spread all over the middle east well before we started writing anything down. So clearly something all humans can resonate with and pretty core to the human experience. An important god.

There are moral ideals and there are real humans.

I always thoughtit was obvious the Greek gods represented ideals of behavior and reflections of human attributes.

There are moral ideals and there are real humans.

I always thoughtit was obvious the Greek gods represented ideals of behavior and reflections of human attributes.

I think it's pretty well established that pagan gods are more like embodiements of forces of nature. Stuff like insanity. Something they thought was a mystical force.

Within paganism gods also embody aspects of being human. So if you want to be a more aggressive soldier, sacrifice to and try to emulate Ares.

The point of pagan religious texts is that they should lead to self reflection that make you grow as a person. Which is it's own reward.

Paganism isn't a game to be won. It's much deeper. Christianity really is very shallow. It literally is simplified and dumbed down paganism for mass appeal.

The Christian God is perfect and the highest ideal. The pagan gods are hardly ideal, or ideals. They certainly arent perfect. They are powerful. They mostly just are.

Back
Top Bottom