• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The idea of an infinite past

Imma spam something from the book: The nothing that is - a natural history of zero

They are speaking about connections between connections, and the numbers those connections first dwelt among have by then a wraith-like existence. They were fairly tenuous to start with: if you say there are seven apples in a bowl, exactly what does that 'seven' belong to? Not to any one of the apples taken singly (not even the last you counted, since you could have arranged them differently), nor to the bowl that contains them, but - to there being just seven of them. Many a fine head has broken on this problem. Some have ended up saying that seven is the set of all those sets that contain seven objects. And if you eat one of the apples, where has the seven gone? Fled, presumably, to those sets that still or newly have seven members.

And why the spam, well one not so obvious answer being: I'm trying to kill time waiting for the store to start selling beer. Hey, I don't even have the mind set to be disingenuous cause this twenty minutes is agony!

That's really spooky but it can't be him.

Robert Kaplan, the author of the extract above, also wrote an admiring book on "the Art of the Infinite"!

You just can't invent that kind of spooky coincidences!

And Kaplan's style is really good, unless somebody re-writes his books for him, which is often the case.

And, he's clearly knowledgeable about his subject-matters.

UM should be jealous but I doubt he can realise how wide the gulf is.
EB

Basically all you have said here is you don't want to hear the truth.

It is an undisputed fact that all change in the past has completed at any present moment.

The past represents a completion of change.

Infinity is in conflict with the idea of completion. No infinity ever completes.

Therefore infinity is in conflict with the past.

The concept of infinity is in conflict with the idea of completion.

All the time in the past has completed at every given moment.

The concept of infinity is in conflict with all the time in the past.

No, it is not. You basically have a choice between no beginning to time, an inexplicable first cause (from what?), or something from absolute nothing.

None of these options seem rational. Existence itself appears absurd. That there is something rather than nothing is unimaginable, yet here we are struggling with the mystery of existence.

We don't have enough information to say that eternity of time is impossible.

You do not seem capable of understanding this.

How is infinity not in conflict with completion?

Tell me how the infinite series of the integers is not in conflict with completion?

Tell me how any infinite series is not in conflict with completion?

You keep droning on about your misunderstandings of first cause even though I explained it to you.

Nothing seems to be able to get past your delusions.

You are just asserting your beliefs and expressing your frustrations. All of your objections have been addressed in this thread, which you ignore. If - let's say - depending on the nature of time (different models, block time, etc), existence is a complex web of relative events and rates of change, eternity is complete, there being no moments in time, only a perceived, ever changing present

The illusion of time;
''Huw Price, professor of philosophy at Cambridge University, claims that the three basic properties of time come not from the physical world but from our mental states: A present moment that is special; some kind of flow or passage; and an absolute direction.

"What physics gives us," Price said, "is the so-called 'block universe,' where time is just part of a four-dimensional space-time … and space-time itself is not fundamental but emerges out of some deeper structure."

We sense an "arrow" or direction of time, and even of causation, he said, because our minds add a "subjective ingredient" to reality, "so that we are projecting onto the world the temporal perspective that we have as agents [in this environment]." [Alan Alda Asks: 'What Is Time?']

Think of the block universe, which is supported by Einstein's theory of relativity, as a four-dimensional space-time structure where time is like space, in that every event has its own coordinates, or address, in space-time. Time is tenseless, all points equally "real," so that future and past are no less real than the present.''

Last edited:
It is an undisputed fact that all change in the past has completed at any present moment.

The past represents a completion of change.

I really don't know what that could possibly mean.

The past is the part of time which is over. "Completed" broadly means successfully brought to an end. So your claim here is just completely idiotic. Change does not stop with the past, it goes on in the present and will go on in the future. So the past clearly cannot be said to successfully bring change to an end. The past is just the part of time which is over. That's it and there's not much to add to that.

So, please explain what you mean by "the past represents a completion of change".

Infinity is in conflict with the idea of completion. No infinity ever completes.

Sorry, you'll have to explain that, too, if you can.

The present is the upper bound of the past, and would be for any kind of past. It would be an upper bound for an infinite past, too, because infinity here doesn't make any difference. There's no more problem with an infinite past than there is with half a straight line. The two notions are interchangeable and have the same relation to infinity and to the notion of upper bound or definite boundary. I don't know that there is any logical issue with the concept of infinite half-straight line, so I don't see why we would have a problem with an infinite past. In particular, an infinite half-straight line is an infinity of points and yet it ends at one definite point. So, here you have one example which contradicts what you appear to be claiming with your bizarre "No infinity ever completes".

So, please explain what you mean by "No infinity ever completes", if you can.
EB

Take any arbitrary point in time.

Have all the changes in the past prior to that point in time completed? Have they all occurred?

Or are more changes in the past going to take place somehow?

I've been struggling with articulating an interpretation of that. It's like taking a bow and shooting an arrow that will never reach its target. If you count (one, two, three etc), and your target is 538, then unless you count ridiculously slowly, you'll get there. Infinity, however, as if actually somewhere on the number line, won't be reached, even if you counted ridiculously fast.

Take any arbitrary point in time.

Have all the changes in the past prior to that point in time completed? Have they all occurred?

Events in the past just took place in the past. All events in the past have already happened. The idea of completion is irrelevant as to events and changes.

So I still don't see the term "completed" as appropriate for events and changes.

You could say that the past is a period of time which has been completed, i.e. brought to an end, but then it's the particular period of time, not the past, which has been completed.

The past is in effect never completed since its upper bound is the present and the present is different with every moment and therefore always moving.

I guess it just shows your English is too awful to have any meaningful conversation with you.

Absolutely, yes.

Between now and tomorrow there will be new changes which will have taken place in the past.

The past is in effect never completed since its upper bound is the present and the present is different with every moment and therefore always moving.

And then you haven't done your homework. So, again, please explain what you mean by "No infinity ever completes", if you can.
EB

I've been struggling with articulating an interpretation of that. It's like taking a bow and shooting an arrow that will never reach its target. If you count (one, two, three etc), and your target is 538, then unless you count ridiculously slowly, you'll get there. Infinity, however, as if actually somewhere on the number line, won't be reached, even if you counted ridiculously fast.

Indeed, but it could be reached if you counted infinitely fast. A piece of cake.

Don't call you "fast" if you can't do it! :D

And think that from the point of view of a photon, it takes no time to move between two different points, however far apart. I guess even if infinitely distant from each other.
EB

Indeed, but it could be reached if you counted infinitely fast. A piece of cake.
When the underlying objection is the existence of infinity, the objection to one kind of infinity applies to all kinds. Besides, counting infinitely fast won't land at a stationary number on the number line.

Don't call you "fast" if you can't do it! :D
Oh, I can do it because I have the power of logic that allows me to do things physically impossible, but in POL (Physically Only Land), no ordinary human can.

And think that from the point of view of a photon, it takes no time to move between two different points, however far apart. I guess even if infinitely distant from each other.
EB
Oh come on, astrophysicists are about as bright as doctors. Photons do not move instantaneously (consider that it takes time for light to travel), no matter how distorted their own point of view, lol

...All events in the past have already happened. The idea of completion is irrelevant as to events and changes....

If they have all happened they have completed.

To say completion has nothing to do with all changes being complete at any given moment in time is pretty stupid.

Absolutely, yes.

You just said all the events, all the changes have already happened?

You make no sense.

You can't keep an idea in your head for two seconds. We are talking about looking at the past from a single moment in time.

From that vantage will more changes in the past by some magic take place?

All of your objections have been addressed in this thread....

That is one big fucking lie.

Nobody has told me how a real completed infinity is a rational idea.

Nobody has told me how such a thing could possibly be possible?

Do infinities complete?

We can apply the concept of infinity PARTIALLY, always PARTIALLY, to imaginary numbers.

But infinite numbers are never expressed. They cannot be expressed. In any fashion.

When infinity is used in mathematics it is always some conceptual trick using other concepts like limits. And the math is always an approximation. An approximation that is good enough for the real world.

How many places do we have to round things out in the real world to send a rover to Mars? Infinite?

If people make the claim that something is real it is not unreasonable to ask for the evidence.

But really all I want is a demonstration that this non-quantity "infinity" could even possibly be real. What would it mean to move an infinitely small distance? What distance is that?

Of course in the backwards sense, the terminal point is the beginning, which if the sequence really were infinite, there would be
no beginning.

Yes it reduces to absurdity quickly.

What does it mean that something progresses yet somehow never starts it's progression?

That is a miraculous absurd state. Not a real world state.

Certainly not an answer any adult would take seriously.

Thank you for your reply, untermnesche. Some of it I can agree with, some not, and some is purely of interest.
I'll expand on that now, please read, understand and reply as you see fit. I'll put quotations from your posting in braces
thus : { } . . .

=============================================================================================

{We can apply the concept of infinity PARTIALLY, always PARTIALLY, to imaginary numbers.}

My comment: You're obviously not a mathematician, untermnesche, because in mathematics, real numbers are defined,
and are defined to be in contrast to imaginary numbers.

Numbers like 1, 2, 3, 4.5 etc are called real numbers, in part because they can be used to describe the quantity or magnitude
of things in the real world. For example we can have, one apple, two oranges, three blind mice and be four and a half years old.
Imaginary numbers are an invention to extend mathematics, in a coherent fashion. The value of the square root of minus one,

(
2rp6tz6.gif
) is an imaginary number.

The value of
2rp6tz6.gif
is not "1" , because the rules of arithmetic say that 1 x 1 = 1 , so
2rp6tz6.gif
is not "1"

The value of
2rp6tz6.gif
is not "-1" , because the rules of arithmetic say that -1 x -1 = +1 so
2rp6tz6.gif
is not "-1"

There is no value which can be multiplied by itself to get "-1", ("negative times negative" = "positive").

So there is no real number that can be derived as "the square root of -1". The value "the square root of -1"
is given the label i . ("i" stands for imaginary number). However, we can imagine that i is a number, and
as a consequence
2rp6tz6.gif
x
2rp6tz6.gif
= 1

I'll accept that what you mean when you say {imaginary numbers}, untermensche, is that pure numbers are constructs, not
in the real world as such. However, the mathematical concept of real numbers can be descriptive of quantity or magnitude of things
in the real world, which I suggest you'd qualify as real things. As an aside, I'd point out that time is not a real thing in the sense
that you are using the word "real". You can't pull out and look at the number "5"]/u] for example, nor can you pull out and look at a
second, a minutes or an hour
, etc. So time looks a lot like the numbers you are calling "imaginary". By that logic then,
if there is an infinity o positive whole numbers, (no terminal), why not an infinity of time?

=============================================================================================

{But infinite numbers are never expressed. They cannot be expressed. In any fashion}.

I'm not sure from that quote, untermensche, what you mean by {expressed} in your statement. The meaning of, "expressed" in your statement is unclear.
Here it is expressed:
osfp5z.gif

My guess is that you are saying that it is impossible to identify an infinity of real things in the real world.

You call infinity a number, or collectively {infinite numbers}, but that expression seems to fly-in-the-face of your contentions about infinity - just saying.

{How many places do we have to round things out in the real world to send a rover to Mars? Infinite?}

The answer is no, but that is entirely irrelevant to the question of whether it is possible or not for infinities to exist. In this question, You've introduced
the idea of numbers as being real. To get to Mars, you need to apply numbers. But what is the value of 1/8 ? Answer, it's 0.125
1/8 is has a decimal value with three places. But pi is a number whose value is the ratio of the of a circle's circumference, to
its diameter. The value of that ration, if calculated, has no terminal value. As such, we have to round it off, for it to be useful in every
day applications. The fact that we round pi of does not mean that it has a terminal decimal place, and so the value of pi could
be calculated ad infinitum, if we had the time. So rounding off has no bearing on negating the question we're discussing, untermnsche.
In fact, the need to round off is in part due to the non-endingness of the real value of pi, the ratio of the of a cricle's circumference, to
its diameter).

{If people make the claim that something is real it is not unreasonable to ask for the evidence}.

Well, untermnesche, I have not made such a claim. I'm say: "I don't know, (yet)".
Likewise, if people make the claim that something is NOT real it is not unreasonable to ask for the proof.
To say it's absurd is no proof, and all arguments so far have not been convincing in saying infinities in the real world, applied to real objects,
or time duration, or events, are impossible. A mere declaration of absurdity doesn't 'cut-the-mustard' for me.

{What does it mean that something progresses yet somehow never starts it's progression?

That is a miraculous absurd state. Not a real world state.

Certainly not an answer any adult would take seriously}.

Let me take the last bit first. Scientists are adults, and some are better informed, and understand the nature of physical reality much better
than me, (and I'd suggest better than you, untermnesche). Yet some scientists whose business it is to think about, and investigate
these matters suggest just what we are discussing, namely that time can be infinite into the past. I can show you the evidence of that, or
do you do them the insult of calling them not adult ???

One way of looking at it is to say that every event must have a cause, so every event must be preceded by that cause. If every event must
have a cause, then there smut always be something before, no matter how far back one might imagine going. The religious will try to terminate
the infinite regress by positing a first cause, ("God"), but that's a miraculous declaration, and also a matter of special pleading, which is a logical
fallacy - they''d just like it to be true that "God" was, (is), responsible). If s you say something {starts its progression}, what do you propose as
the first cause, untermensche? Of course without a first cause, (infinite past), there is no first cause problem.

I like it where you link the {miraculous}, to the {absurd} ~ really :slowclap:

I hope you'll read all of this thoroughly, and respond if you find anything erroneous.

Al the best, Pops.

P.S. I have loads more to say, but I've spent enough time on this post today. I'l check back tomorrow, (South Australian time).

- - - Updated - - -

All of your objections have been addressed in this thread....

That is one big fucking lie.

Nobody has told me how a real completed infinity is a rational idea.

Nobody has told me how such a thing could possibly be possible?

Do infinities complete?

I just spied this post of yours, untermnesche, and I intend to get around to it, with your co-operation.

Cheers, Pops.

When the underlying objection is the existence of infinity, the objection to one kind of infinity applies to all kinds. Besides, counting infinitely fast won't land at a stationary number on the number line.

Sure, but I wasn't trying to prove infinities exist, my point was that there's no logical problem with assuming infinities. And to show there isn't any, I have to start by assuming infinities, and as many as I like.

EB
Oh come on, astrophysicists are about as bright as doctors. Photons do not move instantaneously (consider that it takes time for light to travel), no matter how distorted their own point of view, lol

Yes, astrophysicists, like doctors and us all, are humans. But photons are not and they are very bright. So, yes, we humans don't see photons moving instantaneously between locations, but they themselves are not subject to the passage of time whenever they travel at the maximum speed of light. No time, infinitely fast.

Me, I like this guy, Einstein, though.
EB

If they have all happened they have completed.

To say completion has nothing to do with all changes being complete at any given moment in time is pretty stupid.

Absolutely, yes.

You just said all the events, all the changes have already happened?

You make no sense.

You can't keep an idea in your head for two seconds. We are talking about looking at the past from a single moment in time.

From that vantage will more changes in the past by some magic take place?

Again, could you pleased try to make one clear, concise, rational explanation in good English to support your idea that "No infinity ever completes"?
EB

My comment: You're obviously not a mathematician, untermnesche, because in mathematics, real numbers are defined,
and are defined to be in contrast to imaginary numbers.

"Real" numbers are not real. They do not exist in the real world except as a symbol and as an arbitrary definition or as an understood word and all that goes along with that.

You can search the universe, you will not find "three".

They have been labeled "real" based on arbitrary definitions that have no correspondence to the real world.

But lines are not real either.

You can have infinite so-called "real" numbers and even infinite lines, because they are not real.

I'm not sure from that quote, untermensche, what you mean by {expressed} in your statement. The meaning of, "expressed" in your statement is unclear.
Here it is expressed:

Expressed means to be made real in some way.

So to express infinite numbers would be to make them real in some way. To say them. To write them out.

Expressed is used in contrast to merely imagining.

But the truth is an infinite series cannot even be imagined.

Let me take the last bit first. Scientists are adults, and some are better informed, and understand the nature of physical reality much better
than me, (and I'd suggest better than you, untermnesche).

Bad attitude.

A lot of scientists are deluded and there is a lot of shared delusion in science.

I invite anyone who claims a real completed infinity is a rational idea to demonstrate it.

No takers here.

Again, could you pleased try to make one clear, concise, rational explanation in good English to support your idea that "No infinity ever completes"?
EB

You say that at any given moment, any arbitrary point in time, that all the events in the past have happened.

Yet you also claim they have not completed.

Your position is ridiculous. There is nothing to talk about.

Yes in the future beyond that arbitrary point in time more events will occur but in the past they have all completed.

Infinity is in conflict with the idea of completion.

Infinity is in conflict with the past.

Infinity is in conflict with the idea of completion.

Infinity is in conflict with the past.

Again, that's no explanation. It's just a claim. Your personal view. We have no reason to take your word for it.

So, again, could you please try to make one clear, concise, rational explanation in good English to support your claim here that "Infinity is in conflict with the idea of completion" and that "Infinity is in conflict with the past"?

Thanks,
EB

How is the infinite series of the integers not in conflict with completion?

Where do they complete?

At what number?

That is the idea behind infinity. No completion.

Where do they complete?

At what number?

The whole set of the Integers is not a good analogue of an infinite past. A better one would be the set of negative Integers, or even better the negative Reals.

An infinite past could be thought of as exactly like the negative Reals, and 0 would stand for the present moment. That's indeed the conventional representation very nearly everybody would use.

And the set of the negative Real numbers ends at 0.

Just like an infinite past would end at the present moment.

So, where do you think would be the problem with that?
EB

Where do they complete?

At what number?

If we look at numbers in groups of 10's, we'll find that each group includes an exact namable number that taken together completes the entire set.

For example, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. I've completely named each number. Within, I did not find infinity, so I'll explore the next set to see if I get lucky:

11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20. Damn.

Do you think I should keep looking? I don't suspect you do. This brings me back (way back) to something that might have appeared rather odd that I had asked of you. Is infinity (or is there an infinity) higher than 1? I asked about if it was higher than zero, but that just went nowhere, no pun intended.

What I have envisioned are two separate reasons for why we cannot catch up to and gaze upon infininty, and my asking had to do with which view you held. In analogy, it's like comparing the fact the archer cannot hit a target. Is it because A) the target is so so far away that no arrow could ever reach the target AND that's why the archer can't hit the target, OR, B) there is actually no target at all, so rather, it's THAT reason why the archer can't hit the target.

In summary, the archer can't hit the target because A) it's too far away or B) the target is not there

You keep saying that infinity can't complete. By that, it seems to me that what you're really wanting to convey is that infinity is not bound to a finite set. I hear ya. But do you hear me? Is infinity a number greater than 2 or not a number at all? Like the target, is infinity a number so so far away that we cannot clasp, grasp, or gaze upon by either sight or mind, or is it like the other target and not even existing at all?

If A, then it won't complete, and if B, it won't complete, but for different reasons. For what reason does it not complete?

Different kind of concept that has no real world connection is ambiguous. You have to refrain from conflating concepts with nonexistent referents to delve deeper--but you are quite difficult to keep on the same page.

Back
Top Bottom