• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Insanity/Senility Defense

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
Is Trump trying to convince us he is losing his mind?

Is this a ploy to aid in an "incompetent" defense later on?

I mean wall in Colorado...

On the other hand, let's suppose he's not deliberately trying to do so.

Is this a valid defense against impeachment convictions with jail time?

ETA: struck "with jail time" since it is irrelevant...see subsequent posts.

Last edited:
Well, no, an impeachment conviction just asks 'Should this man be president?' So senility is not a defense. I mean, unless you WANT Adult McDiaper in charge of the launch codes... But maybe the Feds will then take pity on him and not lock him up.
Maybe a house-arrest. Does he own any resort old-folks-homes?

Well, no, an impeachment conviction just asks 'Should this man be president?' So senility is not a defense.

But if he isn't of sound mind, then isn't it up to the Cabinet or some other body to remove him? Isn't there some method other than a conviction for incompetent people?

Well, no, an impeachment conviction just asks 'Should this man be president?'

What other recourse is there for crimes in office? Can something happen post impeachment?

Well, no, an impeachment conviction just asks 'Should this man be president?' So senility is not a defense.

But if he isn't of sound mind, then isn't it up to the Cabinet or some other body to remove him? Isn't there some method other than a conviction for incompetent people?
Yes, but both the 25th and the impeachment process assume that only one person in the equation lacks ethics, honor, attention span, soul.
Well, no, an impeachment conviction just asks 'Should this man be president?'
What other recourse is there for crimes in office? Can something happen post impeachment?
Sure.
The DOJ just has a policy of not indicting a sitting president. Nothing in any law prevents taking his ass to court.

Once he's out of office, either by not being reelected or by being impeached, or resigning, or being booted out through the 25th Amendment, he's subject to all prosecution.
Unless the next pres pardons him.

All impeachment would have done with Nixon is get him out of office and end his benefits of retirement. No secret service, no pay, no stipend for the Nixon Library, and so on. The impeachment would not have sent him to jail.

But without Ford's pardon, the FBI would have prosecuted him for everything they could prove. Such as knowledge of or direction to perform the things everyone else was going to jail for.

If Trump tries a senility defense at the impeachment, starts babbling like a loon, or showing up with Barron as his legal counsel, shits his pants on the Senate floor, making finger -guns and shooting his accusers, he's going to force the Senate to convict, which will just make him not-be-President. Free and clear unless the FBI is waiting in the hallway with a pair of handcuffs for the INSTANT the vote is completed.

Is Trump trying to convince us he is losing his mind?

Is this a ploy to aid in an "incompetent" defense later on?

I mean wall in Colorado...

On the other hand, let's suppose he's not deliberately trying to do so.

Is this a valid defense against impeachment convictions with jail time?

ETA: struck "with jail time" since it is irrelevant...see subsequent posts.

I'm not sure this is any more batshit crazy than some of the other crap that has come out of Trump's mouth. His incoherent rambling on the nuclear triad should have disqualified him in 2015. Fuck, I was naive then. But my point is Trump has always ranted on meaningless bullshit; it's only been the last few years where media outlets have dialed his profile up to eleven largely, I suspect, because it is a cheap and easy way to fill out the news cycle.

Well, no, an impeachment conviction just asks 'Should this man be president?' So senility is not a defense. I mean, unless you WANT Adult McDiaper in charge of the launch codes... But maybe the Feds will then take pity on him and not lock him up.

Technically speaking, an impeachment conviction just asks "Is it politically favourable to me to vote for or against the question of whether this man should be President?"

Technically speaking, an impeachment conviction just asks "Is it politically favourable to me to vote for or against the question of whether this man should be President?"
Would that be 'technically' or 'functionally?'

Back
Top Bottom