• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Kavanaugh Legacy

Horatio Parker

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Platonist
Two thoughtful articles:

From a former dean of Yale law:

With calculation and skill, Kavanaugh stoked the fires of partisan rage and male entitlement. He had apparently concluded that the only way he could rally Republican support was by painting himself as the victim of a political hit job. He therefore offered a witches’ brew of vicious unfounded charges, alleging that Democratic members of the Senate Judicial Committee were pursuing a vendetta on behalf of the Clintons. If we expect judges to reach conclusions based solely on reliable evidence, Kavanaugh’s savage and bitter attack demonstrated exactly the opposite sensibility.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...ugh-confirmation-temperament-yale-dean-221086

And from Matt Yglesias...

Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation as an associate justice of the Supreme Court has prompted not only exuberance and anger but also a kind of hazy worry in some corners that the circumstances of his ascension will call the Court’s legitimacy into doubt.

The truth is it’s about time. The one upside to putting a person on the bench whose dishonesty and (literal and metaphorical) intemperance has been on such flagrant display is that it could prompt a sorely needed reckoning with the larger issue of the Court’s mostly pernicious role in American public affairs.

For the past 25 years, the judiciary has moved increasingly further right and the Supreme Court has tossed out duly enacted legislation, opened the floodgates to public corruption, and undermined substantive democracy. The public has largely missed this bigger picture because the American progressive movement has focused attention on the role of Court in protecting abortion rights.

Reasonable people can disagree about the appropriate remedy to this problem, but the first step is to recognize it exists. And there’s no better face for an increasingly radical and anti-democratic Supreme Court than the ruddy, yelling visage of Brett Kavanaugh.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/5/17941312/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-legitimacy

He is just one tiny piece of shit on a huge mountain of shit called the US.

What's is this I hear about strict constitutionalists vs activist judges? Obviously the activists are 'Liberal' and is considered a bad thing by Conservatives, but I'm having a hard time coming up with proper definitions.

Tried asking conservatives but not really coming up with much help.

What's is this I hear about strict constitutionalists vs activist judges? Obviously the activists are 'Liberal' and is considered a bad thing by Conservatives, but I'm having a hard time coming up with proper definitions.

Justices who rule according to the wishes of the GOP donor class are strict constitutionalists.

- - - Updated - - -

But what does that piece of shit mean?

He represents a mentality that existed in the US at one time, in the 1950's.

He represents those really in power holding tighter onto their illegitimate power.

He represents clinging to the past where rich white men told everyone else what to do.

He represents a mentality that existed in the US at one time, like the 1950's.

He represents those really in power holding tighter onto their illegitimate power.

He represents clinging to the past where rich white men told everyone else what to do.

I think you need to go back to the '20's...pre New Deal.

It boils down to two issues, really.

1. The 2nd Amendment. Conservatives believe the part about a "well regulated militia" is just fancy 18th century talk, and the only thing that's important in that Amendment is "the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed." If you're arguing with a conservative on the internet, there's a good chance the "shall not be infringed" is in all caps.

2. Abortion. Even though the court in Roe v Wade (the majority appointed by Republicans if I recall) laid out a very solid case that the right of a woman to terminate her pregnancy is clearly covered in the 14th Amendment, they were all a bunch of savage baby-killers who hated Jesus and therefore, America. The thinking goes that if conservatives could pack the court with enough God-fearing Christians (more to the point, Catholics), they'd overturn Roe in a tiny fetal heartbeat.

Sure, corporate interests and handing over as much power as possible to the executive are important to conservatives, but not nearly as important as stopping the slaughter of innocent babies while at the same time making sure the gun violence continues unabated.

He represents a mentality that existed in the US at one time, like the 1950's.

I think you need to go back to the '20's...pre New Deal.

I mean the mentality ended for most in the 1950's.

Whatever.

It's done.

May as well grab a maitai, relax, and watch the 500' wave come in.

That's right -- BOHICA.

Pretty much. But this is a new level and whatever lubricant was used before has been replaced with sandpaper.

Maybe one of the conservative justices will act as a counterbalance now. That's a pretty slim hope.

Besides abortion, I'm wondering just how much more erosion is going to happen to our 4th Amendment rights.

I'm so beaten, I've taken to writing in 4-sentence stanzas like Untermensche.

Back
Top Bottom