• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Morality of Abortion: wiploc and thatguysnephew

Wiploc

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Wiploc and thatguysnephew are looking for a one-on-one thread in which to discuss the morality of abortion, and whatever other topics we may drift into.

I'm not seeing a debate area of the website anymore. Maybe it used to be here and is gone, or maybe I'm remembering Freeratio.org or Internet Infidels. I get no response from management when I request a one-on-one thread for our discussion. So I'm going to start the discussion here, and see what happens.

It may be that managment will lock this thread, keeping out everyone but the two principles. In that case, the peanut gallery thread will be here.

And, even if this thread isn't locked to others, perhaps the rest of you could see your way to posting comments in the thread linked above.

---

Thatguysnephew is curious about atheist morality, what it's like, how it works. I can tell about my own morality. I'm a utilitarian. I think making people happy is good. Making them unhappy is bad, also known as evil. Forcing people to have children is bad; it makes people unhappy. Forcing people to not have children is bad too. Whether to have children is a private decision, not generally to be interfered with by government, or by churches you don't belong to.

In a free country, you could decide for yourself whether to have children. Freedom is good.

Thatguysnephew, I await your questions.

Greetings wiploc,

Thank you for taking the time to engage with me on this topic. I apologize for the delayed reply. Sick family on this end. Well mended now, and sleeping.

"Thatguysnephew is curious about atheist morality, what it's like, how it works."

I am! My curiosity stems from the respect I have for my uncle. He is a well-reasoned atheist. The way he thinks attracts me. He believes that the truth can stand up on its own two feet without having to cover it up behind a curtain that should be paid no attention, or by convincing everyone that the king is clothed when he is in fact not clothed.

I consider myself a utilitarian as well. Perhaps that word is worth more than I know, but using your approximate definition ("I think making people happy is good. Making them unhappy is bad, also known as evil.") I consider myself a utilitarian. This conversation may reveal to me that I am not in fact a utilitarian, but so far I think I am.

"I can tell about my own morality."

Thank you for risking sharing your own viewpoint. It is with you I want to relate. Your thoughts matter to me because you matter to me.

"Forcing people to not have children is bad too."

Agreed.

"Whether to have children is a private decision, not generally to be interfered with by government, or by churches you don't belong to.

In a free country, you could decide for yourself whether to have children. Freedom is good."

There is nothing I disagree with here either.

I get distracted easily. If I digress at any point push me back on topic. I understand that the late Justice Scalia and his colleague Justice Ginsburg were friends who sharpened one another in argument and debate. Friendship requires more than an internet discussion, but I am willing to be sharpened. I have co-workers who are atheists. I have other friends who are atheists. I have family who are atheists. I want to know how to love them well even when engaging in topics that seem to defy political moderation.

Two thoughts that will lead to two questions:

1) A clarification of utilitarianism and how I see myself fitting under that umbrella for the sake of discussing the topic at hand.

2) The defining of personhood from a Biblical perspective, and my understanding of personhood as defined from an atheistic perspective (As with the digressions, push back...no, burn any straw men. Like I said, I want to relate to you, not my idea of you.)

1) Clarification of utilitarianism

The utilitarian's general problem (as told to me in a medical ethics course):

There is a riot about to spring into action in a smaller town. There are two main factions within the city. The impending riot was started when an underboss (a leader, but not the main leader) from one of the factions was murdered. The riot will likely result in a blood bath. A large number of people are about to die at the hand's of their neighbors. The sheriff of the city is understandably worried. He's under pressure and time is of the essence. There is a drifter in town. Has been there three days. The underboss was killed two days ago. The drifter is about to leave town. He'll go beg elsewhere; this town is getting scary. The sheriff arrests the drifter. Interrogates him. Plants evidence on him. Blames him for the murder of the underboss. It wasn't the other faction that killed the underboss. The leaders from the factions come together and review the evidence that the drifter killed the underboss. It's very convincing. The sheriff acted alone. No one is the wiser. The drifter is lethally injected. One person dies. The drifter is unhappy, understandably, but the people who didn't die as a result are happy (or maybe think they're unhappy, but they'll never know how unhappy they would have been).

Murder is wrong. Results in more unhappy than happy. Convicting an innocent person is also wrong even though it may hypothetically result in more happiness.

I reconcile this problem by holding that God knows what is best in the long-run. The sheriff, fearing God, wouldn't blame it on the drifter but would instead trust that God would work out a riot that results in a blood bath for the ultimate good even though the result would be proximately very, very bad. Great big proximate unhappiness for ultimate happiness.

First question: How do you reconcile the utilitarian's general problem? I may have butchered that analogy. I hope that won't take away from the idea that utilitarian's have a problem.

2) Defining of personhood

From the Biblical perspective this is simple. God made all mankind in his image. That gives all mankind an irrevocably large amount of value. "Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world." (One digression, more for the other viewers: if your heart rages at hypocrisy after reading that, good. Maybe those "christians" don't know Christ. Maybe they cling to their own self-righteousness instead of the blood-purchased righteousness of Christ).

Mankind. wiploc, I think I'm going to define that word biologically as Homo Sapiens. I might be in error. Hopefully this conversation will bear that out. (Another digression: Could it be that God made other biological image bearers on some distant planet who aren't Homo Sapiens? Yes, I do.)

My understanding of personhood from the atheistic perspective (or any perspective beyond a biblical perspective) is shallow-ish. The atheistic perspective I've heard is from a medical ethics class. I believe personhood boiled down to five different requirements that were all necessary. One was autonomy. I've forgotten the other four. My concern with that standard of personhood was that it left even up to 5 month old babies without all five requirements of personhood. There are some philosophers out there who would argue that infanticide is just fine. That worldview has worked itself out practically in many cultures and histories.

How do you define personhood, wiploc?

Looking forward to hearing your answers and any questions you have.

Have a good weekend!
thatguysnephew

Greetings wiploc,

Hey!

Welcome to Talk Freethought!

Shall we start with some of the mechanics? I clicked on Reply With Quote, and that provides me with your post, here, that I can interject comments into.

Nested quotes happen: You'll be able to see something I posted, and then what you said about it, and then what I said. Only sometimes they don't. That is, the website's software is acting up. So sometimes the nested quotes won't be there when you wish they were.

And, actually, I misled you above when I said I clicked on Reply With Quote. I right-clicked on it, and then selected Open Link In New Window.That way, when looking at the quote tags confuses me, I can instantly alt-tab over to your original post, which is much clearer than what I see in this dialog box.

A note on netiquette: If you're responding to just part of a post, it's polite to delete the parts you aren't responding to. That way, people reading our discussion won't keep reading the same material over and over to no benefit.

There is a useful Split Quotes button above this box that I'm writing in. On my screen, above this box that I write in, there are three rows of icons. The fifth button from the right looks like a speech balloon from a cartoon. The one just to the right of that is another speech balloon, but colored blue, and containing an exclamation point. (Note for people reading over our shoulders: This is his first discussion board.) If you hover over the blue one, it says Split Quotes.

If you see something you want to respond to, you can place your cursor just behind it, and then click the split quotes button, which will give you an unquote tag to end what I was saying, and a quote tag to start my text up again, and a space between for you to write in.

Probably none of that will make sense until you try it. :)

Thank you for taking the time to engage with me on this topic. I apologize for the delayed reply. Sick family on this end. Well mended now, and sleeping.

That's good news.

"Thatguysnephew is curious about atheist morality, what it's like, how it works."

I am! My curiosity stems from the respect I have for my uncle.

Right back atcha.

He is a well-reasoned atheist.

Well, thank you.

I don't normally make that brag. But I do make this one: When Christians tell me that atheist morality has no logical foundation, I'm quick to say that it is at least as well-founded as religious morality.

The way he thinks attracts me. He believes that the truth can stand up on its own two feet without having to cover it up behind a curtain that should be paid no attention, or by convincing everyone that the king is clothed when he is in fact not clothed.

I consider myself a utilitarian as well. Perhaps that word is worth more than I know, but using your approximate definition ("I think making people happy is good. Making them unhappy is bad, also known as evil.") I consider myself a utilitarian. This conversation may reveal to me that I am not in fact a utilitarian, but so far I think I am.

I assume that, at bottom, everybody is. Psychopaths excluded. Nobody would say that morality requires behaviors that just make people miserable.

There is a riot about to spring into action in a smaller town. There are two main factions within the city. The impending riot was started when an underboss (a leader, but not the main leader) from one of the factions was murdered. The riot will likely result in a blood bath. A large number of people are about to die at the hand's of their neighbors. The sheriff of the city is understandably worried. He's under pressure and time is of the essence. There is a drifter in town. Has been there three days. The underboss was killed two days ago. The drifter is about to leave town. He'll go beg elsewhere; this town is getting scary. The sheriff arrests the drifter. Interrogates him. Plants evidence on him. Blames him for the murder of the underboss. It wasn't the other faction that killed the underboss. The leaders from the factions come together and review the evidence that the drifter killed the underboss. It's very convincing. The sheriff acted alone. No one is the wiser. The drifter is lethally injected. One person dies. The drifter is unhappy, understandably, but the people who didn't die as a result are happy (or maybe think they're unhappy, but they'll never know how unhappy they would have been).

A common response to utilitarianism. I've never heard that exact hypothetical before, but the point is a common one.

Another hypothetical involves a healthy patient under anesthesia. If he is killed so we can harvest his organs, several other lives would be saved. Does a utilitarian prefer to kill one innocent person, or to let several (perhaps equally innocent) people die?

Some say that Ursula K. LeGuin's short story, "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is a criticism of utilitarianism. Others, however, say it criticizes the substitutionary punishment of Jesus. (It's a great story. Quite short. The narrator moves are just fascinatingly weird, unique. I'd provide a link, but I'm not finding one that goes to the actual story rather than to comments. Maybe you've read it.)

The utilitarian response to these hypotheticals is that framing people for murder (or harvesting the organs of healthy people) makes people unhappy. That is the point of the hypotheticals. It is always the point. And so we utilitarians just point this out:

A world in which sheriffs falsify evidence will be unhappier than one in which they don't. A world in which people are afraid to go to the hospital because their organs might be harvested would be unhappier than one where that doesn't happen.

Always, the utilitarian's answer to the hypothetical is that the hypothetical situation is objectionable to utilitarians for utilitarian reasons.

And that's why the hypothetical was raised. Opponents of utilitarianism would never raise a hypothetical that would result in people actually being happier. Suppose someone tried to oppose utilitarianism by positing someone who wanted to play golf on a Sunday rather than go to church. He skips church; he plays golf; everybody lives happily ever after. And the utilitarian's response is "So?"

And the anti-utilitarian knows that. So, in every case, the hypothetical case which is supposed to debunk utilitarianism is actually an illustration of how utilitarianism actually forbids bad things.

I reconcile this problem by holding that God knows what is best in the long-run. The sheriff, fearing God, wouldn't blame it on the drifter but would instead trust that God would work out a riot that results in a blood bath for the ultimate good even though the result would be proximately very, very bad. Great big proximate unhappiness for ultimate happiness.

So, yes, you are a utilitarian. :)

First question: How do you reconcile the utilitarian's general problem? I may have butchered that analogy. I hope that won't take away from the idea that utilitarian's have a problem.

Your hypothetical was good. I hope my response was good too.

From the Biblical perspective this is simple. God made all mankind in his image. That gives all mankind an irrevocably large amount of value. "Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world." (One digression, more for the other viewers: if your heart rages at hypocrisy after reading that, good. Maybe those "christians" don't know Christ. Maybe they cling to their own self-righteousness instead of the blood-purchased righteousness of Christ).

Mankind. wiploc, I think I'm going to define that word biologically as Homo Sapiens. I might be in error. Hopefully this conversation will bear that out. (Another digression: Could it be that God made other biological image bearers on some distant planet who aren't Homo Sapiens? Yes, I do.)

A person has personality. Dogs have personality, so it is wrong to torture puppies. Dogs have hopes and desires and fears. Brain-dead humans have none of these. A brain-dead human is not a person. Nor is a fertilized human egg cell.

My understanding of personhood from the atheistic perspective (or any perspective beyond a biblical perspective) is shallow-ish. The atheistic perspective I've heard is from a medical ethics class. I believe personhood boiled down to five different requirements that were all necessary. One was autonomy. I've forgotten the other four.

Story of my life. So many valuable lists that I remember just part of.

If a tree could talk, and said things to persuade us that it was conscious, hopeful, fearful, had desires, then it would be wrong to cut down the tree for firewood.

I don't leap to accept the autonomy requirement. Conjoined twins come to mind.

I don't claim to have a good robust definition. No more than I imagine you claim to know how ensoulment works.

But you can't be a person without opinions and desires. I think I've given this example before in our email exchange: Suppose a woman wanted an abortion, and her husband objected, and they wound up in court, and the court appointed an attorney to act in the interests of the embryo.

I don't think an embryo can have interests. It doesn't want to live. It doesn't want to die. There is no way to violate its rights.

If you cut someone's hair, that's a violation of rights if they don't want it cut. But if they do want it cut, you can charge money for that. Whether it's a crime or a money-maker depends on what the customer/victim wants. An embryo, not wanting anything, has no rights to be violated.

The instinct to protect children is admirable. This instinct has a strong tendency to make people happier. But you wouldn't want to indulge that instinct if people wound up forbidding chastity on the grounds that it harms sperm cells by not letting them survive by fertilizing eggs. That would be a time when we need to let intellect overrule instinct.

It would be harmful to force unwilling people to have children. And it does no harm to a sperm cell to be denied an egg. Sperm cells don't have opinions, fears, aspirations, hopes, desires. Sperm cells aren't people.

It is the same with embryos.

Pregnant women are definitely people. Unlike embryos, they do have rights.

I get distracted easily. If I digress at any point push me back on topic.

Have you seen the new translation of Dante's Inferno? Turns out it's really all about grammar:

Second Circle:
The Serial Comma

One half of this circle is populated by souls who are cursed to make arguments that nobody cares about except their own mothers, howling gorgons and the infernal mistresses of hell. The other half are cursed to make arguments that nobody cares about except their own mothers, howling gorgons, and the infernal mistresses of hell. The difference between these two situations seems to matter a lot to both halves. Neither side will listen to you when you suggest that they could avoid this level entirely.

--https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/dantes-nine-circles-of-hell-reimagined-for-linguistic-transgressions

I'm going to try out my netiquette in response to this post...I tried before and it didn't fly.

On this page: https://mashable.com/2018/01/31/i-tonya-visual-effects/

I find this tweet describing a first date:

The article is about a company that had to pay $5 million in overtime because of a missing serial comma.

I was able to watch the video. Fascinating!

I couldn't find the article, but that's depressing for the company. In my profession legislation missing the oxford comma actually resulted in patients having only half the amount of money from medicare available for treatments. Another multi-million dollar grammar mistake.

Just fiddling:
On this page:

I'm going to try out my netiquette in response to this post...I tried before and it didn't fly.

As I said elsewhere, your first post was good. You used color to distinguish your text from mine, and that worked fine.

Margo Robbie's body doubles know how to spin. :)

Anytime you wonder how somebody did something in a post, you can click Reply With Quote, as if you were going to reply; but then, instead of replying, you can just look at how the tags were used in that post.

Elsewhere, you asked about games. Or you were going to. Offline, I mostly play Splendor and Race for the Galaxy.

pic236327.jpg

This is like Puerto Rico, which you're familiar with. But significantly improved.

71GywxVvOOL._SL1384_.jpg

When my wife and I play this one, it's like the card game Spider, a pleasant non-taxing bubblegum pastime. Very nice.

Then nebraskacousin#2 visits, and the same game is suddenly about planning ahead and ruthless backstabbing. Nice in a different way. It's just astonishing that a single game lends itself to both of these experiences.

-

Both games take less than an hour. Splendor is rated at half an hour, which is plausible. Both are quite replayble.

Probably none of that will make sense until you try it. :)

I imagine there is a delete button if I need it.... We'll see how this goes.

He is a well-reasoned atheist.

Well, thank you.

I don't normally make that brag. But I do make this one: When Christians tell me that atheist morality has no logical foundation, I'm quick to say that it is at least as well-founded as religious morality.

Agreed. We all have our presuppositions and the practical implications that they carry.

A common response to utilitarianism. I've never heard that exact hypothetical before, but the point is a common one.

Another hypothetical involves a healthy patient under anesthesia. If he is killed so we can harvest his organs, several other lives would be saved. Does a utilitarian prefer to kill one innocent person, or to let several (perhaps equally innocent) people die?

Some say that Ursula K. LeGuin's short story, "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is a criticism of utilitarianism. Others, however, say it criticizes the substitutionary punishment of Jesus. (It's a great story. Quite short. The narrator moves are just fascinatingly weird, unique. I'd provide a link, but I'm not finding one that goes to the actual story rather than to comments. Maybe you've read it.)

The utilitarian response to these hypotheticals is that framing people for murder (or harvesting the organs of healthy people) makes people unhappy. That is the point of the hypotheticals. It is always the point. And so we utilitarians just point this out:

A world in which sheriffs falsify evidence will be unhappier than one in which they don't. A world in which people are afraid to go to the hospital because their organs might be harvested would be unhappier than one where that doesn't happen.

Always, the utilitarian's answer to the hypothetical is that the hypothetical situation is objectionable to utilitarians for utilitarian reasons.

And that's why the hypothetical was raised. Opponents of utilitarianism would never raise a hypothetical that would result in people actually being happier. Suppose someone tried to oppose utilitarianism by positing someone who wanted to play golf on a Sunday rather than go to church. He skips church; he plays golf; everybody lives happily ever after. And the utilitarian's response is "So?"

And the anti-utilitarian knows that. So, in every case, the hypothetical case which is supposed to debunk utilitarianism is actually an illustration of how utilitarianism actually forbids bad things.

That response makes sense. Church could kill after all...but golfing may make a person want to kill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfD5My-TSfM) ;)

Would you mind defining "happy" for me from your perspective?

So, yes, you are a utilitarian. :)

Oh, good!

A person has personality. Dogs have personality, so it is wrong to torture puppies. Dogs have hopes and desires and fears. Brain-dead humans have none of these. A brain-dead human is not a person. Nor is a fertilized human egg cell.

Torturing puppies is wrong. They have personalities. Agreed. Brain-dead is medically clear. Other scenarios seem more difficult with regard to humans.
The fertilized human egg's personhood is the hinge on which this issue swings for a christian. I see from your perspective why a fertilized human egg has no personhood.

I have two questions that I think will flesh out your perspective for me.

2a) Does a cow have personality? I'm asking about a commonly killed and eaten animal on purpose. Maybe you can think of a better example to help flesh out your perspective. Maybe some alternate questions would be something like, "Is there a gradient of personhood based on amount of personality in your perspective," or, "Is a human's life worth more than a dog's life, and why is that since they both have personality."

2b) Does a 40 week old gestation fetus have as much personality as a one day old newborn? This question may be better suited below.

I don't leap to accept the autonomy requirement. Conjoined twins come to mind.

Ha! I hadn't thought of that.

I don't claim to have a good robust definition. No more than I imagine you claim to know how ensoulment works.

Your definition of personhood is more robust than my understanding of how ensoulment works.

But you can't be a person without opinions and desires. I think I've given this example before in our email exchange: Suppose a woman wanted an abortion, and her husband objected, and they wound up in court, and the court appointed an attorney to act in the interests of the embryo.

I don't think an embryo can have interests. It doesn't want to live. It doesn't want to die. There is no way to violate its rights.

If you cut someone's hair, that's a violation of rights if they don't want it cut. But if they do want it cut, you can charge money for that. Whether it's a crime or a money-maker depends on what the customer/victim wants. An embryo, not wanting anything, has no rights to be violated.

The instinct to protect children is admirable. This instinct has a strong tendency to make people happier. But you wouldn't want to indulge that instinct if people wound up forbidding chastity on the grounds that it harms sperm cells by not letting them survive by fertilizing eggs. That would be a time when we need to let intellect overrule instinct.

It would be harmful to force unwilling people to have children. And it does no harm to a sperm cell to be denied an egg. Sperm cells don't have opinions, fears, aspirations, hopes, desires. Sperm cells aren't people.

It is the same with embryos.
(I hope I'm not biting off too much of your quote. Not meaning to make the conversation cumbersome to read, but I think it is all pertinent. Suggestions are welcome for how to streamline anything.)

It's the soul that gives the embryo personhood from my perspective. I see why a sperm cell and an embryo have the same amount of personhood from your perspective, and why killing an embryo makes sense just like it makes sense to not care one bit about what happens to a sperm cell.

Pregnant women are definitely people. Unlike embryos, they do have rights.

Women have souls. They're people and have rights. Agreed. This is where the practical tension arises over this issue. Not a tension I want to approach lightly, either. So, if you're reading this and you have had an abortion or were a male who partnered with a woman in making the decision to abort I offer no condemnation to you even as I offer the view that abortion is inherently wrong and makes for the most "unhappy". Your experiences with people who think abortion is wrong may leave you thinking, "That's not possible to not condemn me, but to still condemn my actions." I understand. I wish I could somehow show you kindness from my keyboard, but it would be unkind to try. Words are cheap. (Very small digression: If you're a male who has coerced or pressured a woman into having an abortion so you could continue to live however you want to instead of taking care of her and your child, then for your sake I offer a strong rebuke: Women have rights, stop manipulating or trying to manipulate women.)

I think I will return to my 2b) question to flesh out your perspective more. In regard to real-life decisions that flesh and blood are actually making as I write this, I think seeing your perspective on this will help me converse with you and not with a straw man.

2b) Does a 40 week old gestation fetus have as much personality as a one day old newborn? Maybe kick the age to two months, three months and even 4 or 5 months.

Did I get to everything? I'm always concerned I'm going to drop one ball or another. Thanks for engaging with me on this topic, wiploc.

Looking forward to seeing you in March. My friend and I like games like you like. Any new games currently on the horizon?

Regarding what I think was a successful post:

1:00-1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtq1EBMe1gQ

We have geeked out over Race for the Galaxy before. With oversized dandelions and clear blue water in view. And a large mountain named McKinley. I'd enjoy that one.

That I recollect, I haven't yet played a game you suggested that I didn't enjoy. Splendor sounds fun.

Would you mind defining "happy" for me from your perspective?

I could look it up in a dictionary, but I think what I should do here is confess that, in this context, the word "happy" is a kind of shorthand for something I'm not too sure of.

For instance, Dan Barker (Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist) talks about human "flourishing." And other people use other plausible terms. I'm not disagreeing with any of those terms when I talk about happiness. And I certainly don't mean to suggest that I don't care about unhappiness; one can improve the world by reducing unhappiness just as one can improve the world by increasing happiness.

There's a guy who used to hang out here, I think (more likely one of this current site's previous incarnations) who talked about "desire utilitarianism." It was a whole new theory of utilitarianism, that he invented himself. It sounded good, persuasive. But I never read his book. Nor any other book on the topic.

Nevertheless, it seems obvious to me that happiness is what morality is and ought to be about. It's better to be nice to people than to be mean to them.

2a) Does a cow have personality? I'm asking about a commonly killed and eaten animal on purpose. Maybe you can think of a better example to help flesh out your perspective. Maybe some alternate questions would be something like, "Is there a gradient of personhood based on amount of personality in your perspective," or, "Is a human's life worth more than a dog's life, and why is that since they both have personality."

Yes, torturing cows is wrong.

Yes, I imagine a gradient of personality. If snails have personality, I doubt that they have much of it. Porpoises may have a lot.

Yes, I think humans are more important than dogs. No, I don't have some deep philosophical justification for that.

2b) Does a 40 week old gestation fetus have as much personality as a one day old newborn?

Ah mathematics and chronology. Not my strong suit. Wait, nine months is thirty-six weeks, so forty weeks is four weeks overdue?

Anyway, I think of abortion as permissible without justification at any point up to birth. Killing a born person would require extraordinary justification like self defense.

If someone wanted to argue that the cutoff point should be later, I wouldn't be interested. Just put me in your camp at that point.

In this current political climate, I perceive all efforts to restrict abortion as really part of a larger effort to forbid it entirely for religious reasons. The anti-abortion movement is usurping state power, using the state as an enforcement arm of the church. So I'm not very interested in moving the cutoff in the other direction either.

If it seems arbitrary to use birth as a cutoff, I'll ask whether it is any less arbitrary to use conception/fertilization as a cutoff.

I understand that that's not a compelling argument, but it's the best that I can think of at the moment.

It's the soul that gives the embryo personhood from my perspective.

Just going to float an idea here: Even if that were true, abortion wouldn't harm an eternal soul.

Did I get to everything? I'm always concerned I'm going to drop one ball or another.

Not to worry. If it seems like I overlooked something you want an answer to, you can point that out to me. I'll do the same for you.

And now I'll respond to something in the peanut gallery, in part to show you how it's done. If somebody there makes a point you want to endorse, you can say, "Wiploc, what about Joe's question? Can you answer that for me?"

"Forcing people to have children is bad; it makes people unhappy." - Wiploc

Some of those people are the children concerned.

You can't make someone unhappy by not having them come into existence. You can make unhappy children by requiring unloving and inappropriate parents to have children.

Spike may choose to comment on this in the peanut gallery, and you or I may choose to respond to that comment.

"Which is ironic because a simple volume equation could have shown him I wouldn't fit." :notworthy: :notworthy:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by thatguysnephew

I get distracted easily. If I digress at any point push me back on topic.

My wife and I are watching something called Grammar Boot Camp. It turns out that "on accident" is a generational thing. You kids say that, while us regular-age people say "by accident."

I could look it up in a dictionary, but I think what I should do here is confess that, in this context, the word "happy" is a kind of shorthand for something I'm not too sure of.

For instance, Dan Barker (Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist) talks about human "flourishing." And other people use other plausible terms. I'm not disagreeing with any of those terms when I talk about happiness. And I certainly don't mean to suggest that I don't care about unhappiness; one can improve the world by reducing unhappiness just as one can improve the world by increasing happiness.

There's a guy who used to hang out here, I think (more likely one of this current site's previous incarnations) who talked about "desire utilitarianism." It was a whole new theory of utilitarianism, that he invented himself. It sounded good, persuasive. But I never read his book. Nor any other book on the topic.

Nevertheless, it seems obvious to me that happiness is what morality is and ought to be about. It's better to be nice to people than to be mean to them.

I agree it's better to be nice to people than to be mean to them.

Here are a string of questions I have for myself and for you: "Is happiness something objective (something that doesn't change)? Is happiness a feeling? Is it both? If it is both, does having happiness demand the feeling of happiness?"

I'm going to define "happy" as "contentment". I think that happiness/contentment comes from knowing the person of Jesus Christ--God in human flesh. That's my objective definition of happiness. Although, I see how from your perspective that may not be the case. And I welcome your push back on that being my objective definition of happiness. I'm working out a construct here. Not just an ivory tower construct. My contentment and happiness has an enormous effect on my wife and my children...and everyone else I interact with. My being content matters.

Yes, torturing cows is wrong.

Yes, I imagine a gradient of personality. If snails have personality, I doubt that they have much of it. Porpoises may have a lot.

Yes, I think humans are more important than dogs. No, I don't have some deep philosophical justification for that.

That's fine. Once our worldviews hit the ground we agree, then.

2b) Does a 40 week old gestation fetus have as much personality as a one day old newborn?

Ah mathematics and chronology. Not my strong suit. Wait, nine months is thirty-six weeks, so forty weeks is four weeks overdue?

That really confused me too until my wife was pregnant. Turns out the last few days of the month count (I knew I had to live through them...I didn't know I had to count them) and eventually add up to 4 weeks over a 9 month period.

Anyway, I think of abortion as permissible without justification at any point up to birth. Killing a born person would require extraordinary justification like self defense.

If someone wanted to argue that the cutoff point should be later, I wouldn't be interested. Just put me in your camp at that point.

I like hanging out with you.

In this current political climate, I perceive all efforts to restrict abortion as really part of a larger effort to forbid it entirely for religious reasons. The anti-abortion movement is usurping state power, using the state as an enforcement arm of the church. So I'm not very interested in moving the cutoff in the other direction either.

I understand your concern. That certainly seems to contain the tension in which we all find ourselves in the U.S. The Bible teaches that stealing is wrong. The state enforces laws that forbid stealing. The state is enforcing a Biblical principle. Not to say the principle is exclusively Biblical, and not to give up on consequentialism.

Maybe this question (if you can contain the tension better with a different question, please do. I'm fumbling here.): "Is happiness, as the best (from my perspective) secularism has to offer as a standard of morality, able to allow for human flourishing in the U.S.?

I really am fumbling to pour all the tension into a question. But the issue seems worth deliberating. Stealing was a ho-hum example too. Maybe you can kick me a better one.

If it seems arbitrary to use birth as a cutoff, I'll ask whether it is any less arbitrary to use conception/fertilization as a cutoff.

Good question. From my worldview it's not arbitrary. Once a Homo Sapien is created (egg and sperm make a little embryo) then it's assumed to be inherently valuable as a human being.

...which probably sounds insane from the secular/atheist worldview, and probably brings up questions like, "Then why do so many christians use birth control?" Great question. Probably a mixture of being uninformed, nominal, or taught poor biology lessons.

It's the soul that gives the embryo personhood from my perspective.

Just going to float an idea here: Even if that were true, abortion wouldn't harm an eternal soul.

So true! I think we have a 1 in 5 miscarriage rate too in the U.S (that's hearsay from my co-worker who is married to an OB doctor). While I am concerned for the life of those aborted babies, I'm not concerned for their souls. I'm concerned for the souls of those who allow them to be murdered, or who do the murdering. If the babies didn't have souls then I wouldn't be worried for the souls of those involved in the abortion. I think it would be best if the babies saw daylight and had the choice to make an impact for good or ill on the world. If they make it that far, then I'll be concerned for their souls.

"Forcing people to have children is bad; it makes people unhappy." - Wiploc

Some of those people are the children concerned.

You can't make someone unhappy by not having them come into existence. You can make unhappy children by requiring unloving and inappropriate parents to have children.

Spike may choose to comment on this in the peanut gallery, and you or I may choose to respond to that comment.

I didn't see Spike's reply in the peanut gallery yet. Maybe I missed it.

I'm in the realm of opining now, but I believe there is evidence to support that after a certain age gestation the babies are actually feeling pain when they are cut up, or burned with sodium chloride (I'm speaking in mild ignorance, maybe they use other really humane techniques to kill the babies--humane being defined from a secular perspective).

But we'll probably never know about the pain experience of the 6 week gestation baby who is aborted, or the nearly conceived baby that was washed out with the uterine lining due to the use of birth control. So, as far as I know or can imagine, in those instances I would have to agree with your first sentence in reply to Spike. I still hold that you're adding up the most unhappy by not bringing them into existence--it just probably isn't their happiness that is at stake.

As for the second sentence--the church will need to grow in number and ability in order to effectively meet the needs of their no longer being any abortions in the United States. I know their are many (usually faith-based) private agencies that reach out to those considering an abortion.

What do you think of those agencies?
Here in Wichita we have Choices across from the abortion clinic. They offer free ultrasounds to pregnant mothers, and support for them if they decide to keep the baby.

Thank you for engaging in all of this with me. I opined more than normal this time, and on things that are factual and not a matter of perspective. I think necessarily, but please push back. If there is a truth, then it's true. I don't want to settle for anything less.

See you soon!

Here are a string of questions I have for myself and for you: "Is happiness something objective

"Objective" is often a weasel word. The "moral argument" gets its plausibility by switching back and forth between two different meanings of "objective," just as the first cause argument switches between meanings of "begin." So I mostly ignore the word. If you said, "Is X objectively true?" I would hear, "Is X true?"

But in this case you define it:

(something that doesn't change)?

So you're asking whether happiness changes.

Like, does the amount of happiness change? Yes, it does.

Does what makes people happy change? Yes, it does.

Does the nature of happiness change? I might have to refer you to neuroscience.

Is happiness a feeling?

Perhaps a feeling. Perhaps a category of related feelings?

Is it both?

You've lost me.

If it is both, does having happiness demand the feeling of happiness?"

I don't see how you could be happy without feeling happy.

I'm going to define "happy" as "contentment".

That seems even flatter and more one-dimensional than "happy." I can experience a much greater degree of happiness than mere contentment.

I'm listening to Sam Harris's The Moral Landscape. He talks about well-being. Dan Barker talks about flourishing. These are all ways, in my belief, of referencing a larger-but-ill-defined topic.

I think that happiness/contentment comes from knowing the person of Jesus Christ--God in human flesh.

In which case I have never been happy. Since I have been happy, that doesn't work for me.

Plus, it would mean that nobody was ever happy back in B.C., and that nobody is happy in Heaven.

Basically, I'm saying that I don't see the utility of this linguistic move.

That's my objective definition of happiness.

Again, I don't know what you mean by "objective" in that context. Are you saying that your definition never changes?

If that's a definition, then we can't argue about whether it is true, we can only look at implications to see if it is useful: On the assumption that Jesus really existed, we must conclude that some people were happy between roughly 1 A.D. and 36 A.D., but then nobody has been happy since?

It's a weird definition--possibly unique to you--that clearly doesn't refer to what other people mean by the word "happiness." I don't see the point of it.

Although, I see how from your perspective that may not be the case. And I welcome your push back on that being my objective definition of happiness.

I believe I've provided that pushback above. :)

That really confused me too until my wife was pregnant. Turns out the last few days of the month count (I knew I had to live through them...I didn't know I had to count them) and eventually add up to 4 weeks over a 9 month period.

Thanks, that helps.

So let's posit twins: One has just been born, and the other as yet not. How can it be wrong to kill one but okay to kill the other?

That's a stumper.

It's nice to have a brightline: Killing is okay after birth but not before. You think that conception and/or ensoulment is a brightline, but I could pick at that one as easily as you can pick at mine.

Is it true that if you poke an unfertilized egg with a needle, thus breaking the "shell," that will cause it to begin growing and dividing without fertilization? Does the needle cause ensoulment? Or does the needle cause a person to be born without a soul?

Would that soulless person be fair game for murderers? "No soul, no foul?"

I feel like I'm cheating here. Instead of answering your question, I'm asking another question in hopes that you'll find mine as awkward as I find yours. :)

Let me at least admit that your question is uncomfortable. If we weren't in a society where churches try to use the abortion issue to usurp power over people who aren't in those churches, then I might possibly be willing to entertain arguments for prohibiting abortions somewhere before birth--but after the development of a working brain. Before the PoC (zygote/embryo/fetus) develops a brain, it cannot have a personality. Personhood cannot exist before a working brain.

I understand your concern. That certainly seems to contain the tension in which we all find ourselves in the U.S. The Bible teaches that stealing is wrong. The state enforces laws that forbid stealing. The state is enforcing a Biblical principle.

And Sharia law, right? And, for all I know, the law of devil worshipers.

"Is happiness, as the best (from my perspective) secularism has to offer as a standard of morality, able to allow for human flourishing in the U.S.?

Two answers:

First, yes, I think that utilitarianism is the highest and best standard of morality, the best promoter of flourishing.

Second, when Conan the Barbarian was asked "What is the best in life," and he answered, "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women," he wasn't answering for theism as a whole, even as I'm not answering for the whole of secularism.

Utilitarianism is compatible with both theism and secularism, and secularists aren't all utilitarians.

I'll stop here for now, and respond to more later.

Last edited:
I mentioned some threads at dinner. Here's one of them: Wonderful-bits-of-text

Christopher Logue's Homeric simile, "See an east African Lion," is probably in there somewhere.

I really am fumbling to pour all the tension into a question. But the issue seems worth deliberating. Stealing was a ho-hum example too. Maybe you can kick me a better one.

Theft is wrong anyway. We don't need gods to tell us theft is wrong. Maybe we should discuss things that are only wrong if Jehovah exists? Wearing cloth made of two different fibers, for instance, eating shellfish, suffering witches to live, or failing to honor the sabbath, those would be sins if Jehovah were real, but there isn't anything wrong with doing them.

I've mentioned "sin," and you're new here, so let me go off on a tangent:

I actually mean something when I say "sin" or "evil." Many people, not so much. I took a class on Western Civilization, and I learned definitions that worked for me. Before that, the words were just noise with negative connotations.

I'm not telling you that this is what you should mean by these words. Nor am I claiming to be perfectly consistent myself. But I will tell you what I usually mean by the words; I don't want to be confusing or mysterious, and I don't want us to be talking at cross purposes if these words mean something different to you. So, my definitions:

Sin consists of doubting or disobeying gods. Doubt is the bigger part of that. Eve's first sin, then, wasn't when she tasted the apple; it was when she entertained the serpent's argument (the argument that Jehovah hadn't had her best interests in mind when he forbade eating the apple).

That was sin. Evil is different. Many people conflate evil and sin, but evil (the sources of unhappiness) is the punishment for sin. There are categories of evil listed in Genesis. I remember pain in childbirth, having to earn our living by the sweat of our brows, having to cope with the misbehavior of weeds. (As Abbie Normal would say in Christopher Moore's Bite Me, "I'm paraphrasing.")

When I was a kid, women's clothing was perverse, made for left-handers. One theory I don't particularly believe was that this dated back to when ladies had servants to dress them. So, there's this joke--or there used to be, back when it didn't need this much introduction: We're quoting Jehovah chastising the kids in the garden, telling them the terrible punishments they must suffer, and we get to the part where he's saying they have to cover their nakedness with raiment. "And you," he says, turning to Eve, "gots to button yours backwards!"

Evil is defined as the sources of unhappiness. By extension, it can refer to unhappiness itself. Thus, the problem of evil is often called the problem of suffering. Good and evil are often intermixed. If Joe accidentally stubs his toe, and this makes Sara happy and Joe unhappy, then the accident is both good and evil.

Sin and evil are easy to conflate because some behaviors ("moral evils," gluttony comes to mind) can be disobedient while also being causes of unhappiness.

Some people define sin/evil as not doing what Jehovah wants. That never worked for me. When a sinner tries to be good in order to get to go to Heaven, god hardens his heart and darkens his counsels so that he'll go back to raping and continuing to enslave Moses's people and such. Thus, the reprobate (Hellbound person) continues to deserve Hellfire.) If sin consists of not doing what god wants, then--in circumstances like that--rape and slavery wouldn't be sins.

The definitions I learned in Western Civ are the only ones that ever worked for me, the only ones that didn't lead to immediate contradiction.

---

And again, I stop for now.

Feel free to respond to what I have posted so far, or to wait until I have responded to the rest of your post.

I see the link to the wonderful bits of text thread didn't work, above, so I'll try again here: Wonderful Bits of Text.

Once a Homo Sapien is created (egg and sperm make a little embryo) then it's assumed to be inherently valuable as a human being.

Let me start with the word "being." I used to think that meant something like "person." But in conversations like this, I've come to accept that it usually just refers to something that exists, something that does be.

Lemme go look it up: ... Okay, Dictionary.comm -- I double the terminal mm because this website tries (or used to try) to help me out by automatically changing things that look like links into links, often the wrong links -- offers these definitions among others:

4. something that exists:

inanimate beings.

5.a living thing:

strange, exotic beings that live in the depths of the sea.

The egg and sperm are beings either way. They exist, and they are alive. So sperm and egg cells are beings just as much as zygotes and embryos are.

And human eggs and sperm are as human as human embryos are.

So, yes, embryos are human beings, but that doesn't distinguish them from eggs and sperm, which are also human beings.

Incidentally, I've followed conversations like this for decades, and I've seen many attempts to attach some relevant significance to the moment of conception, but I've never seen one of those attempts succeed. Many anti-abortion people claim that the egg and sperm cells are dead until fertilization, so conception is the moment when life starts.

The conclusion I have drawn is that anti-abortion folks don't have any good arguments on this point. If they did, they would have fielded them, and I'd have run across them.

That is, of course, a lightly held belief. I'm open to being shown that I'm wrong.

You may believe I did a poor job of attaching relevance to the moment of birth, but I'll be surprised if you establish more relevance to the moment of conception.

In a way, that's kind of cool; it means we agree on this: The line should be drawn somewhere in the conception-to-birth area.

-

In this context and all others, I argue against the oxymoronic phrase "inherently valuable." You can't have value without a valuer. If something is valuable, it is valuable
for something or to someone. To call something "inherently valuable" is to say that it would be good even if it wasn't good for anything or to anyone. That's a logical contradiction.

Note that I'm not claiming that zygotes aren't valuable. I'm just saying that, in my view, the phrase "inherently valuable" doesn't make sense.

So true! I think we have a 1 in 5 miscarriage rate too in the U.S (that's hearsay from my co-worker who is married to an OB doctor). While I am concerned for the life of those aborted babies, I'm not concerned for their souls.

"Aborted baby" strikes me as oxymoronic. It makes as much sense as "aborted professor" or "aborted mechanic." I'm not correcting you; I'm sure your terminology works well for many people. I'm just explaining why it doesn't work for me. Babies start at birth. Before that you have zygotes, embryos, fetuses.

If the souls aren't damaged, then there's no harm done, it seems to me. Why would you be concerned for the life of an aborted embryo if you aren't concerned for the life of an unfertilized egg?

I'm concerned for the souls of those who allow them to be murdered, or who do the murdering.

From my point of view, if abortion is murder then so is chastity.

If people who get abortions aren't harming souls, then I don't see the problem.

If the babies didn't have souls then I wouldn't be worried for the souls of those involved in the abortion. I think it would be best if the babies saw daylight and had the choice to make an impact for good or ill on the world.

Do you think that of unfertilized eggs? It would be best if they were fertilized and saw daylight and made choices?

If they make it that far, then I'll be concerned for their souls.

The soul of an aborted embryo is safe, but it will be in danger if not aborted. And yet the people who keep the soul safe by having abortions put their own souls in danger by doing so? You can see why this is confusing.

But we'll probably never know about the pain experience of the 6 week gestation baby who is aborted, or the nearly conceived baby that was washed out with the uterine lining due to the use of birth control.

At six weeks, I don't imagine there could be any pain. In the case of a single cell, or two cells in the case of the "nearly conceived," I'm quite confident that there's no pain. Just as I'm confident that there would be much pain in the life a child born to parents who didn't want her.

So, as far as I know or can imagine, in those instances I would have to agree with your first sentence in reply to Spike. I still hold that you're adding up the most unhappy by not bringing them into existence--it just probably isn't their happiness that is at stake.

I don't understand.

As for the second sentence--the church will need to grow in number and ability in order to effectively meet the needs of their no longer being any abortions in the United States. I know their are many (usually faith-based) private agencies that reach out to those considering an abortion.

What do you think of those agencies?
Here in Wichita we have Choices across from the abortion clinic. They offer free ultrasounds to pregnant mothers, and support for them if they decide to keep the baby.

Can I grant that they may do some good work, but still look askance at them because I suspect their motives?

I think I covered everything, Nephew. The ball is in your court. :)

Are you planning to post here again, nephew? If not, we can ask for this thread to be locked, and we can go post in the peanut gallery.

I'm not pushing; if you want more time, that's fine. In the other one-on-one I'm in, I somehow didn't notice that it was my turn to post until the other guy asked if the discussion was over.

Back
Top Bottom