• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Morals & Principles of Cake: Derail from SCOTUS to take the cake

...It is not reasonable to both (a) regard reducing someone to a tool as immoral, and (b) favor coercing a baker to make a cake he doesn't want to make, because that reduces him to a tool. Pick one or the other....

It is unreasonable to say a man who puts themselves in the business of baking cakes for public consumption is being forced in any way to bake them.

They are not being forced to bake any cakes. That is again a Strawman. An irrational assumption.
Do you know what "Strawman" means? It does not mean "irrational assumption".

In any event, I already addressed that counterargument and you simply ignored my refutation. If it's unreasonable to say a man who puts himself in the business of baking cakes for public consumption is being forced in any way to bake them, then by the same token, it's unreasonable to say a man who puts himself in a wage-paying job is being forced in any way to do that job. Yet you call companies dictatorships. A noncoercive dictatorship is a contradiction in terms.

But if they bake cakes for the public they cannot discriminate based on delusions.

That creates chaos and potential hardship for minorities that ignorant people might despise.
And so, in order to prevent this, you choose to reduce the delusional baker to a tool. You evidently regard delusional prejudiced people as fair game. Since you think that's the right thing to do, stop claiming you think it's wrong to reduce people to tools.

What you want is to raise the right of somebody to behave ignorantly even to the point it causes a completely innocent person hardship over the right of people to not have to be the prey of ignorance.
Quote me. Where do you think you saw me say what I want? I merely pointed out that your stated positions are contradictory. That's on you.

Hey. USSC ruled money was speech so why shouldn't they also rule business is creativity?
Can you produce a quotation from a USSC ruling saying money is speech? Or do you just figure if enough censorship fans say it enough times then that makes it true?

Do you know what "Strawman" means? It does not mean "irrational assumption".

In any event, I already addressed that counterargument and you simply ignored my refutation. If it's unreasonable to say a man who puts himself in the business of baking cakes for public consumption is being forced in any way to bake them, then by the same token, it's unreasonable to say a man who puts himself in a wage-paying job is being forced in any way to do that job. Yet you call companies dictatorships. A noncoercive dictatorship is a contradiction in terms.

Everything is just a dull blur to you isn't it?

You don't seem to understand the difference between somebody in business to the public not discriminating in hazardous ways from somebody in the midst of a rigid top down dictatorial power structure.

It is impossible to reason with someone this lost.

What you want is to raise the right of somebody to behave ignorantly even to the point it causes a completely innocent person hardship over the right of people to not have to be the prey of ignorance.

Quote me. Where do you think you saw me say what I want? I merely pointed out that your stated positions are contradictory. That's on you.

I'm pointing out the end result of siding with the ignorant baker and his primitive ignorant and harmful ideas that have no place in society.

Again, not really possible to reason with some.

So I just want to make sure. You want people to accept your delusional dictatorship is immoral at work but the delusional belief that homosexuality is wrong shouldn't be accepted although a significant portion of people in the US believe the second but not the first?

Hey. USSC ruled money was speech so why shouldn't they also rule business is creativity?
Can you produce a quotation from a USSC ruling saying money is speech? Or do you just figure if enough censorship fans say it enough times then that makes it true?

Buckley v. Valeo, 424 U.S. 1 (1976), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckley_v._Valeo

A majority of judges held that limits on election spending in the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 §608 are unconstitutional. In a per curiam (by the Court) opinion, they ruled that expenditure limits contravene the First Amendment provision on freedom of speech because a restriction on spending for political communication necessarily reduces the quantity of expression.

Money and speech linked. Restrictions on money unlawfully restrict speech.

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC

The United States Supreme Court held (5–4) on January 21, 2010 that the free speech clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution prohibits the government from restricting independent expenditures for communications by nonprofit corporations, for-profit corporations, labor unions, and other associations

McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCutcheon_v._FEC

"The government may no more restrict how many candidates or causes a donor may support than it may tell a newspaper how many candidates it may endorse."[

I don't care how you peel it. If the court rules that if money is restricted it limits speech. It is speech by extension.

Corporations have political first amendment rights. Laws restricting their contributions restrict their first amendment rights to free speech.

Individuals have unlimited right to donate to as many candidates as they choose.

My view is that she can buy as large a megaphone as she can afford. However she must do the speaking and be recognized as the one speaking. If she wants to be part of a group getting a megaphone then she must accept the necessity of actually creating and delivering her speech though it. No one's political speech should be for sale to another.

Last edited:
Everything is just a dull blur to you isn't it?

You don't seem to understand the difference between somebody in business to the public not discriminating in hazardous ways from somebody in the midst of a rigid top down dictatorial power structure.
I understand the difference perfectly. You regard "If you don't obey me you can't keep your job" as coercive when the guy on the receiving end is someone you sympathize with, but not when it's someone you don't sympathize with.

I'm pointing out the end result of siding with the ignorant baker and his primitive ignorant and harmful ideas that have no place in society.
So now pointing out that you're saying things that aren't true is "siding with the ignorant baker"? If you were a prosecutor suborning perjury in order to make your job easier and the judge caught you at it, you'd say the judge was "siding with the criminal"?

So I just want to make sure. You want people to accept your delusional dictatorship is immoral at work but the delusional belief that homosexuality is wrong shouldn't be accepted although a significant portion of people in the US believe the second but not the first?

I oppose dictatorial power structures.

Not restrictions on ignorant personal behavior that is harmful.

I have no problem with laws that forbid rape.

And only the lost would call that oppression.

And rape is wrong because the person said no. There is a big difference between two people consenting then not consenting.

And rape is wrong because the person said no. There is a big difference between two people consenting then not consenting.

You must think rape is just fine as long as only one person complains.

Just like you think discrimination is just fine if only one person complains.

I will tell you something you probably don't know. Gay people mind it when they are discriminated against.

They say "no".

I will tell you something you probably don't know. Gay people mind it when they are discriminated against.

They say "no".

Nope, both people have to consent to it.

There are different levels of discrimination. There are parts that are wrong, but not that it should have any rules against it.

Internet Rule #8: If you have to bring up rape when discussing a court case about a cake... you aren't doing a good job with the argument.

Internet Rule #8: If you have to bring up rape when discussing a court case about a cake... you aren't doing a good job with the argument.

Rule #3: Rules pulled from peoples asses are worthless.

- - - Updated - - -

They say "no".

Nope, both people have to consent to it.

There are different levels of discrimination. There are parts that are wrong, but not that it should have any rules against it.

The gay couple is not consenting to be discriminated against.

They are not consenting to be raped.

Even though the baker consents to raping them.

You don't think discrimination based on ignorant prejudice is a big deal.

I understand that.

You can't see the real dangers and real harm to innocent people from allowing it.

I understand that.

I understand that.

You can't see the real dangers and real harm to innocent people from allowing it.

I understand that.

At least you stay positive on here though number takes you seriously.

I understand that.

I understand that.

What number?

Many take me very seriously. You are absolutely wrong.

But if you want to promote bad ideas you will not find me very fun.

On a different. What did the first anti-discrimination morality laws come around? Does the Bible have any? Hammurabi? Roman codes?

- - - Updated - - -

I understand that.

I understand that.

What number?

I meant very few people take you seriously. They'll agree with you when it aligns with their position.

On a different. What did the first anti-discrimination morality laws come around? Does the Bible have any? Hammurabi? Roman codes?

- - - Updated - - -

What number?

I meant very few people take you seriously. They'll agree with you when it aligns with their position.

Am I supposed to care?

I have moral positions.

People raised to not look at things in a moral manner will not take me seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

What number?

Am I supposed to care?

I have moral positions.

People raised to not look at things in a moral manner will not take me seriously.

And the baker says he has moral positions too. A lot of morality is subjective and we agree on only a few things.

Buckley v. Valeo, 424 U.S. 1 (1976), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckley_v._Valeo

A majority of judges held that limits on election spending in the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 §608 are unconstitutional. In a per curiam (by the Court) opinion, they ruled that expenditure limits contravene the First Amendment provision on freedom of speech because a restriction on spending for political communication necessarily reduces the quantity of expression.

Money and speech linked. Restrictions on money unlawfully restrict speech.
Did you read your own link?

"The major holdings were as follows:

The Court upheld limits on contributions to candidates.
The Court struck down limits on expenditures by candidates.
The Court struck down limits on independent expenditures (i.e., expenditures by other groups or individuals than candidates and political parties).
The Court upheld mandatory disclosure and reporting provisions, but it narrowed the types of speech to which they could apply.
The Court upheld a system of voluntary government funding of campaigns, including limits on spending by candidates who choose to accept government subsidies.
The Court struck down the system by which members of Congress directly appointed Federal Election Commission commissioners."​

They upheld limits on contributions to candidates. You have a right to give a candidate as much of your speech as you please, but the government may limit how much money you can give her. If the USSC had been ruling money was speech then they would have imposed the same restrictions on money laws as on speech laws.

They upheld mandatory disclosure and reporting provisions. You have a right to speak anonymously for a candidate, but the government may prohibit you from funding her anonymously. If the USSC had been ruling money was speech then they would have imposed the same restrictions on money laws as on speech laws.

Buckley v. Valeo is an example of the USSC ruling that money is not speech.

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC

The United States Supreme Court held (5–4) on January 21, 2010 that the free speech clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution prohibits the government from restricting independent expenditures for communications by nonprofit corporations, for-profit corporations, labor unions, and other associations
Yeah, and? So the USSC ruled that the government labeling what people say "corporate speech" doesn't mean it can get away with fining or jailing people for speaking without permission. Whoop de do. They already crossed that bridge. They already committed that crime against humanity in New York Times Co. v. United States. They already destroyed democracy by ruling that the New York Times had a First Amendment right to publish the Pentagon Papers, and Richard Nixon had no right to stop them. The New York Times is a corporation, but that doesn't magic its employee's First Amendment rights away. Do you feel that Nixon should have been allowed to censor the New York Times because money is not speech?

McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCutcheon_v._FEC

"The government may no more restrict how many candidates or causes a donor may support than it may tell a newspaper how many candidates it may endorse."[

I don't care how you peel it. If the court rules that if money is restricted it limits speech. It is speech by extension.
What the heck kind of reasoning is that?

Suppose Congress passed a law saying to all the Jews in America, "The 1st Amendment promises you freedom of religion, so you have a right to put up a menorah in your house. But you may not spend more than $100 on menorahs. If you want to spend $10,000 and put up a dozen menorahs in every room in your house and out in the front yard too, that's just going too far. Enough is enough. A hundred dollars worth of them should be plenty for one Jew." Do you imagine for one second that the USSC would uphold such a law?

So when a Jew who really really liked menorahs challenged the law, and the USSC overturned it, you would describe that event as "Hey. USSC ruled money was religion."?

My view is that she can buy as large a megaphone as she can afford. However she must do the speaking and be recognized as the one speaking. If she wants to be part of a group getting a megaphone then she must accept the necessity of actually creating and delivering her speech though it. No one's political speech should be for sale to another.
Are you seriously suggesting that if someone wants to scrawl "Vote against Donald" onto a thousand pieces of paper and hand them out to passersby, she has a right to do it, but if her hand gets tired after the first 50 so she takes her leaflet off to Kinko's and pays them to run off another 950 copies for her, then Congress should be allowed to put her and the Kinko's manager in jail for that, because that makes it Kinko's political speech, which shouldn't be for sale?

Back
Top Bottom