• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The philosopher who theorized against philosophy

rousseau

Contributor
I'm looking for the name of a specific philosopher who did this. A while back, on this forum, someone mentioned a philosopher who wrote some theories that more or less stated that all philosophical problems should eventually be resolved. Something like that, anyway.

Anybody have the name of this guy? Bonus points if you want to talk about what he wrote.

I'm looking for the name of a specific philosopher who did this. A while back, on this forum, someone mentioned a philosopher who wrote some theories that more or less stated that all philosophical problems should eventually be resolved. Something like that, anyway.

Anybody have the name of this guy? Bonus points if you want to talk about what he wrote.

From what I can tell, you might be talking about logical empiricism and the Vienna circle of philosophers. Google Wittgenstein and A. J. Ayer... both pretty much said that most problems of philosophy could be reduced to problems with words and how they are used. Ayer famously coined the principle of verification: if there is no publicly observable phenomenon that can verify or refute what someone is saying, whatever is being said has no meaningful content, unless it is something like a mathematical expression. This was his way of rendering most of existentialism, and indeed most of Continental philosophy in general, meaningless.

I'm heard of a few anit-philosophy philosophers, but the idea that all problems are theoretically resolvable doesn't ring a bell. Can you narrow it down?

I have climbed highest mountains
I have run through fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you

I have run, I have crawled
I have scaled the city walls
Said it was
Only to be with you

:D

Wittgenstein claims that there are no realms of phenomena whose study is the special business of a philosopher, and about which he or she should devise profound a priori theories and sophisticated supporting arguments. There are no startling discoveries to be made of facts, not open to the methods of science, yet accessible "from the armchair" through some blend of intuition, pure reason and conceptual analysis. Indeed the whole idea of a subject that could yield such results is based on confusion and wishful thinking.

This is great.

I have climbed highest mountains
I have run through fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you

I have run, I have crawled
I have scaled the city walls
Said it was
Only to be with you

:D

Love? They say that it's the rare things that are valued the most. And if all the love songs, books and poems ever written and sung are a measure, love is the rarest of things...

Back
Top Bottom