• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Progressive's Case For Pelosi As Speaker

poster

Basic Beliefs
none
This is a bit old at this point, but it provides insight on how progressives have to deal with the reality of being in a party that is mainly made up of neoliberals.

Wall Street Is Leading the Attack on Pelosi—Steny Hoyer Is the Real Barrier to the Progressive Agenda
A Hoyer speakership would be a catastrophe for the left.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/...i-steny-hoyer-real-barrier-progressive-agenda

The democratic party is a large party. It represents many different people with many different beliefs. I'm a moderate. And I'd probably fit the mold of one of your "neoliberals" meanies. My favorite recent democrat was Obama, and I disagreed with some of his stances all the time.

There is some concern that the newer far left members of the party, who are in the minority btw, might be a problem for the Democrats to get much done. Some have compared them to the far right minority, aka, freedom caucus in the Republican party. Any group who is way outside of the norm for either party can make it difficult to get anything done. Why is it so difficult for people to understand that compromise is the only way to move forward?

But on a brighter note, I read that one of the new members of the more liberal group, has already admitted that she now realizes that compromise is the only way to get anything done, when you have to consider what 435 people want. I just don't remember her name, because I read too many news articles.

This is a bit old at this point, but it provides insight on how progressives have to deal with the reality of being in a party that is mainly made up of neoliberals.

Wall Street Is Leading the Attack on Pelosi—Steny Hoyer Is the Real Barrier to the Progressive Agenda
A Hoyer speakership would be a catastrophe for the left.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/...i-steny-hoyer-real-barrier-progressive-agenda

The democratic party is a large party. It represents many different people with many different beliefs. I'm a moderate. And I'd probably fit the mold of one of your "neoliberals" meanies. My favorite recent democrat was Obama, and I disagreed with some of his stances all the time.

I don't know that I consider rank and file neoliberals as "meanies" when most are simply unaware that they are actually neoliberals. My only purpose in raising these issues is to raise awareness of Democrats who have been made to believe they are progressives but who are in fact neoliberals. If I am successful at all in that endeavor, those people can then make conscious choices to continue to support those neoliberal policies or resist them and examine alternatives. That's really all there is to my endgame. I promise!

Donald Trump is also a neoliberal, but he is very indiscriminate about his decision making beyond personal gratification. So when compared to Trump's neoliberalism, Obama's neoliberalism appears more friendly and acceptable. The problem is that, as you've agreed, neoliberalism's path is one that leads to facism and facism isn't pretty no matter who is administrating it.

There is some concern that the newer far left members of the party, who are in the minority btw, might be a problem for the Democrats to get much done. Some have compared them to the far right minority, aka, freedom caucus in the Republican party. Any group who is way outside of the norm for either party can make it difficult to get anything done. Why is it so difficult for people to understand that compromise is the only way to move forward?

But on a brighter note, I read that one of the new members of the more liberal group, has already admitted that she now realizes that compromise is the only way to get anything done, when you have to consider what 435 people want. I just don't remember her name, because I read too many news articles.

It doesn't take neoliberalism to make compromise. That is a false narrative put forward by centrist and corporate neoliberals. Compromise on legislation is good politics, provided the compromises reflect the values of all parties involved.

This labeling of "far right" and far left" is a method of justification in leaving groups behind in the process, which is what is pissing people off. The path to compromise is not as easy, but it is possible.

You can join my new Radical Reasonablism Party (RRP), if you want to. So can Harry Bosch, poster and Tom Sawyer. :)

I'm currently making some placards. 'Down with anti-compromisism!' is one. 'We demand more moderation in all things!' is another. I'm also thinking of, 'the silent majority will not be silenced!'

Last edited:
How is it reasonable to compromise with a party that's mainly comprised of extremist theocrats?

How is it reasonable to compromise with a party that's mainly comprised of extremist theocrats?

When it comes to any version of Democratic politics, there's no choice as those politicians represent a constituency that is obviously large enough to get them elected.

As I see it, anytime there is or has been even a slight growth in popularity for anything not in the interests of the rich American toxically-capitalist right, they spend enormous amounts of time, effort and money producing what is basically propaganda to convince (aka scare) the average American into going against it. And in some ways the biggest part of the problem might be that too many people fall for that.

Yes I know the powerful minority also indulge in dark, dishonest and devious shenanigans as part of their strategy, but imo, there's almost surely enough voters out there in whose interests it would overall be to not fall for it (the propaganda at least) given that those producing the propaganda are a numerically small, vested-interest elite. So, maybe the way things actually pan out, and given that there is an alternative that is (largely) democratically/freely-available, America gets the political landscape it votes for.

Last edited:

It doesn't take neoliberalism to make compromise. That is a false narrative put forward by centrist and corporate neoliberals. Compromise on legislation is good politics, provided the compromises reflect the values of all parties involved.

This labeling of "far right" and far left" is a method of justification in leaving groups behind in the process, which is what is pissing people off. The path to compromise is not as easy, but it is possible.

I'm not talking about neoliberal or any other type of liberal or conservative. All I'm saying is that when you have 435 people that have the power to make laws, things need to move toward the middle if you want to move forward. I'm a little left of center. I want far less military spending, a higher minimum wage, a more reliable safety net and regulations that protect our water and air, etc. I don't consider myself neoliberal, but I'm reasonable enough to know that what I might want in an ideal world may be the complete opposite of what someone else wants in their ideal world. In order to get a little, I have to meet the other side somewhere near the middle.

Here's an example. Prior to 2006, Medicare didn't pay a thing towards the RX. drugs that people used at home. I was a home health RN in the late 70s, 80s and 90s. I remember having to help my patients decide which of their meds were the most important to have filled, since doctors would rarely cooperate with me in decreasing Rxs. or ordering less expensive meds. Many of my patients were poor and could only buy a few of their most important meds. Then the congress past Part D, the part of Medicare that pays for drugs. I and many Democrats would have loved it if Part D didn't involve insurance companies, but the only way to pass Part D was to compromise and allow insurance companies to manage the plans and get paid monthly premiums for the plan that was chosen by the recipient. Was that a perfect plan? Absolutely not, but because of it, my patients after 2006 were usually able to afford their medications and doctors were more willing to change to a cheaper drug if the patient's drug wasn't covered by their plan.

You can be rigid and say that unless the Part D is free, you won't support it, or you can compromise and say that it's better to help most Medicare beneficiaries be able to get all or most of their drugs at an affordable cost, despite the fact that insurance companies are receiving premiums for this benefit.

As a Medicare beneficiary myself, I think Part D leaves a lot to be desired, but it's far better than the time when Medicare didn't cover Rx. drugs at all.

Does that explain what I mean when I say that compromise is needed to get anything done?

Actually Part D was passed in 2003, but took effect in 2006.

Obama was all about compromise. That was his biggest failing. Republicans refuse to compromise, and they ram legislation through. Both Bush before Obama and now Trump after Obama have done so. The last thing we need is more "Compromise" (ie, selling out) from the Democrats. Democrats need to grow a spine and Republicans need to grow a heart.

Really, I agree that the Democrats should elevate some younger members, and I agree that we shouldn't get rid of older leaders who perform well; that would be ageism.

Fortunately, there's an easy answer that would satisfy both sides of this conundrum: Keep Pelosi, replace Schumer.

Democrats need to grow a spine and Republicans need to grow a heart.
Well put. Because otherwise there's not much of a difference between the centrist members of both parties. The unifying feature between the two is corporatist neoliberalism. Which makes them the most dangerous bunch since they're looked upon with so much positivity and they weild so much influence and power. Reading or listening to members of the corporate media, they're the ones that are like most of all.

- - - Updated - - -

Really, I agree that the Democrats should elevate some younger members, and I agree that we shouldn't get rid of older leaders who perform well; that would be ageism.

Fortunately, there's an easy answer that would satisfy both sides of this conundrum: Keep Pelosi, replace Schumer.

That's a start but replace Hoyer as well.

See, we progressives can compromise.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not talking about neoliberal or any other type of liberal or conservative. All I'm saying is that when you have 435 people that have the power to make laws, things need to move toward the middle if you want to move forward. I'm a little left of center. I want far less military spending, a higher minimum wage, a more reliable safety net and regulations that protect our water and air, etc. I don't consider myself neoliberal, but I'm reasonable enough to know that what I might want in an ideal world may be the complete opposite of what someone else wants in their ideal world. In order to get a little, I have to meet the other side somewhere near the middle.

Here's an example. Prior to 2006, Medicare didn't pay a thing towards the RX. drugs that people used at home. I was a home health RN in the late 70s, 80s and 90s. I remember having to help my patients decide which of their meds were the most important to have filled, since doctors would rarely cooperate with me in decreasing Rxs. or ordering less expensive meds. Many of my patients were poor and could only buy a few of their most important meds. Then the congress past Part D, the part of Medicare that pays for drugs. I and many Democrats would have loved it if Part D didn't involve insurance companies, but the only way to pass Part D was to compromise and allow insurance companies to manage the plans and get paid monthly premiums for the plan that was chosen by the recipient. Was that a perfect plan? Absolutely not, but because of it, my patients after 2006 were usually able to afford their medications and doctors were more willing to change to a cheaper drug if the patient's drug wasn't covered by their plan.

You can be rigid and say that unless the Part D is free, you won't support it, or you can compromise and say that it's better to help most Medicare beneficiaries be able to get all or most of their drugs at an affordable cost, despite the fact that insurance companies are receiving premiums for this benefit.

As a Medicare beneficiary myself, I think Part D leaves a lot to be desired, but it's far better than the time when Medicare didn't cover Rx. drugs at all.

Does that explain what I mean when I say that compromise is needed to get anything done?

Actually Part D was passed in 2003, but took effect in 2006.

Thank you for that detailed clarification.

Back
Top Bottom