• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The removal of statues

Why should enemy military leaders be treated any better than enemy grunt soldiers or enemy civilians, or anybody else? I don't get it.

A couple of reasons. Military leaders should be treated better because we want all troops to want to be officers. We want men/women/transexuals under command to have lots and lots of respect for their commanding officers. It's super super important. They can do what they will with their privileges, but I think it helps.
Just curious, how much time have you spent in uniform?

A couple of reasons. Military leaders should be treated better because we want all troops to want to be officers. We want men/women/transexuals under command to have lots and lots of respect for their commanding officers. It's super super important. They can do what they will with their privileges, but I think it helps.

None. This part was pure speculation.

'Kay.
'Cause, like, dear GOD, we do not want everyone wanting to be an officer.
The ones that apply, but don't qualify, or get selected, or pass, start to resent those that do. And started dissent in the ranks about the reason they were favored by the 'elitist* selection board in the sky.'
*or the gay selection board
*or liberal selection board
*or tranny-friendly selection board
*or desegregationist selection board
....whatever's the evil change being inflicted on the troops that year...

No, the officers have historically treated their peers with far more respect than they show their inferiors, on either side, and it tends to be from elitism, nothing about a calculated method of motivating the troops.

No, the officers have historically treated their peers with far more respect than they show their inferiors, on either side, and it tends to be from elitism, nothing about a calculated method of motivating the troops.

Oh, you mean they behave like the rest of us which is why we often have laws against so doing.

Oh, you mean they behave like the rest of us which is why we often have laws against so doing.
Yes, pretty much.

'Kay.
The ones that apply, but don't qualify, or get selected, or pass, start to resent those that do. And started dissent in the ranks about the reason they were favored by the 'elitist* selection board in the sky.'

Ok, cool. I learned something new. Wrong of me. I still stand by the rest of my post.

I think we should be super nice to captured enemy officers. Come to think of it, we should be super nice to any captured soldiers. Since their side has captured soldiers from our side, that we want them to be nice to. It's pure self interest.

'Kay.

Navy sucks. I disbelieve that same standard exists among Army Officers.

'The discipline which makes the soldiers of a free country reliable in battle is not to be gained by harsh or tyrannical treatment...'

Schofield's Definition of Discipline. I find it a bit disingenuous to quote the whole thing in the age of the internet, but I do know it - in its entirety since I was a Plebe.

aa

This thread does bring up a point about history. It happened whether it was for the better or the worst. Roman history is a point. The Romans were not exactly paragons of virtues were they?

So what do we about it, wipe out all traces of Roman history?

This thread does bring up a point about history. It happened whether it was for the better or the worst. Roman history is a point. The Romans were not exactly paragons of virtues were they?

No, but good work ignoring every argument in the thread and bringing us back to page one after over three hundred posts.

No, but good work ignoring every argument in the thread and bringing us back to page one after over three hundred posts.

Yes, yes, that is the salient detail in his post... That your obtuse posting ignores over 330 posts, rather than merely over 300.

Good catch, angelo.

Goooooooooooooood catch.

Behold.... A miracle!!! I agree with something you've said. Yeah. I think you're completely right. The only difference is time. If something happened long enough time ago we think atrocities are mostly just cute and worthy of a statue.

And keeping statues of people who used to be venerated, but were horrendous by modern statues is good. We shouldn't glorify the past. It's better to be reminded that sometimes our ancestors fucking sucked. There's few things I despise as people who want the good ol' days back.

I don't think even the weirdoes put up many statues to Roman imperialists, even in the South.

The key point about the officer-class, in my experience, is that they couldn't run a piss-up in a brewery, and charge you for laughing at their ludicrous attempts.

Back
Top Bottom