• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Rig Veda

DLH

Basic Beliefs
Bible Believer
uh, well . . . I'm adding the formidably elongated Hindu test the Rig Veda to Pathway Machine. Or PM as we like to call it. Uhmm. Yeah. Not impressed, I'm sorry to say. First of all, online, all sources seem to spring from one, nothing wrong with that, but typographical errors, grammatical mistakes having only been corrected by me is a fairly pathetic indication of the import of these so called sacred texts. Couldn't you have read it and noticed that the numerical character of 1 often appears where the fucking letter L should and correct that? Or where words are typed together. left incomplete, etc.

Anyway. The Rig Veda is a series of hymns is support of getting wasted with the Gods on what is referred to as Soma Juice. An intoxicating fermented beverage. And an appeal for money, military strength, and childbearing.

I bet you guys didn't know that did you?

The, uh, Pathway Machine copy of the Rig Veda is a simple corrected one, but pretty much the same. [Laughs] don't think that I have any illusions of interest on a massive appeal. I fixed it and no one cares. THAT! In itself, is an interesting juxtaposition. However! Skip beyond the corrected (substantially but not definitively) text and you have some classic art with cows.

Umm, yes, when I was doing my religious research after leaving christianity and before becoming an atheist, I read this and several other religious texts. Your critique of it here shows the sort of intellectual shallowness and prejudice I've come to associate you with.

First of all, you complain because you got a copy that was sloppily translated and scanned? Here's an idea, why don't you get off your lazy ass and go to a library to get a decent copy, like I did? The poor quality of your copy is testament to YOUR failings as a researcher, not the failings of the text.

Second, while much of it does, in fact, revolve around the Soma juice, I must point out that a great deal of the Christian Bible and ritual revolves around wine. Second, do you know the difference between Scripture and Devotionals? Scripture is essential stories and sermons laying out the key facts and dogmas of a religion. Devotionals are worship materials. Christians have traditionally separated the two, with the Bible as scripture, with separate prayer books and hymnals. Other religious groups tend to combine the two. Books like the Rig Veda, but also the Koran, for example, have both sorts of materials in them. A non christian opening up a christian hymnal or prayer book would likely find it as tedious and repetitive as you find the Rig Veda. Such actual Scripture as contained in it can be quite interesting at times. I found the section on the origin of the world rather thought provoking, back then. Your inability to tell the difference between different sorts of religious literature again betrays your faults and shallowness as a religious thinker.

Umm, yes, when I was doing my religious research after leaving christianity and before becoming an atheist, I read this and several other religious texts. Your critique of it here shows the sort of intellectual shallowness and prejudice I've come to associate you with.
To cut DLH a little slack, I don't think he understands that he is an atheist for all religions except Christianity so approached reading the Rig Veda as atheists who don't accept any religious texts as TRUTH including Christianity's. He couldn't find anything meaningful in the Rig Veda that could convince him that it was TRUTH. Why he blindly accepts the Bible as TRUTH is one of those quirks of human thinking where thoughts are compartmentalized. Without this compartmentalizing, if he read the Bible with the same objective critical eye as he reads other religion's texts then he would see it as being just as absurd as the religious texts of other religions.

Blessed are the meek.

When one pretends to be some kind of deep religious scholar, one had better be prepared for tough criticism.

The Hindu Old Testament

I wouldn't say the Old Testament, which is a misnomer anyway based upon a Latin mistranslation of covenant, there being no actual New Testament, but I get the point. Psalms, actually.

Uh, look. I have to be frank here. I fucking hate Christians. Once a Christian always a Christian, which is why ex Christian atheist are such ignorant fucks. Narrow minded, bigoted, republican malpractice of eugenics. I got no patience for it anymore. Just to let you know.

First of all, you complain because you got a copy that was sloppily translated and scanned? Here's an idea, why don't you get off your lazy ass and go to a library to get a decent copy, like I did? The poor quality of your copy is testament to YOUR failings as a researcher, not the failings of the text.

Second, while much of it does, in fact, revolve around the Soma juice, I must point out that a great deal of the Christian Bible and ritual revolves around wine.

That's bullshit. Straight up. Any idiot here knows that. So. Why argue it?

Second, do you know the difference between Scripture and Devotionals? Scripture is essential stories and sermons laying out the key facts and dogmas of a religion. Devotionals are worship materials. Christians have traditionally separated the two, with the Bible as scripture, with separate prayer books and hymnals. Other religious groups tend to combine the two. Books like the Rig Veda, but also the Koran, for example, have both sorts of materials in them. A non christian opening up a christian hymnal or prayer book would likely find it as tedious and repetitive as you find the Rig Veda. Such actual Scripture as contained in it can be quite interesting at times. I found the section on the origin of the world rather thought provoking, back then. Your inability to tell the difference between different sorts of religious literature again betrays your faults and shallowness as a religious thinker.

Again. Bullshit. Basically what I said was that the copies online are all from one source and each uncorrected of blatant and obvious errors of a typographical nature. I fixed them. Who's reading this shit? Me. Not the fuckers who posted it on Hindu or Sacred text. That was my point and not necessarily a reflection upon the original text.

If any idiot on the street who knew me only a little bit wanted to insult me personally they would call me a religious thinker, a contradiction in terms at the least and an intellectual slander.

So. I don't know - jeez. What am I going to say. Not much.

Blessed are the meek.

When one pretends to be some kind of deep religious scholar, one had better be prepared for tough criticism.

Yeah that was tough. Like a gay interior decorator criticizing a hunting lodge. You said nothing that anyone but you, obviously unimpressed and confused by honesty would. You should be a college professor. My advise to you would be to insert your false sense of intellectual superiority where your former false sense of moral superiority had been to fill the vacuum that is, in fact, nothing more than an inferiority complex. Why bother with all of the political and religious bullshit?

To cut DLH a little slack, I don't think he understands that he is an atheist for all religions except Christianity so approached reading the Rig Veda as atheists who don't accept any religious texts as TRUTH including Christianity's. He couldn't find anything meaningful in the Rig Veda that could convince him that it was TRUTH. Why he blindly accepts the Bible as TRUTH is one of those quirks of human thinking where thoughts are compartmentalized. Without this compartmentalizing, if he read the Bible with the same objective critical eye as he reads other religion's texts then he would see it as being just as absurd as the religious texts of other religions.

I really get sick and tired of explaining to people who should know better to just pay attention. Don't look for an easy scapegoat. Just pay attention.

DLH said:
Yeah that was tough. Like a gay interior decorator criticizing a hunting lodge. You said nothing that anyone but you, obviously unimpressed and confused by honesty would. You should be a college professor. My advise to you would be to insert your false sense of intellectual superiority where your former false sense of moral superiority had been to fill the vacuum that is, in fact, nothing more than an inferiority complex. Why bother with all of the political and religious bullshit?

Ah, now you are pretending to be a psychologist. I wonder what it will be next week?

I always liked Psalm 137...such love.

Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

I always liked Psalm 137...such love.

Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

Making sure that the verse is understood properly. It is directed at the daughter of Babylon, so it isn't a literal place. It is Babylon the great, false religion. Who is the happy one? Jesus Christ. Since false religion doesn't have literal children these are likely her religious adherents. Members of false religion. They will either be literally killed by the destruction of her, or, more likely, figuratively they will become dead to her beliefs and teachings.

Think about that with an unemotional atheistic perspective.

I just find it amusing that the person who is apparently trying to launch a religion he made up is accusing others of being egotistical. I'd rather have an inferiority complex than believe that I'm on a mission from god.

I just find it amusing that the person who is apparently trying to launch a religion he made up is accusing others of being egotistical. I'd rather have an inferiority complex than believe that I'm on a mission from god.

I think y'all need to project a great deal less than you do, or at least, more accurately. I would never belong to, much less create any religion. I don't recall saying anyone here was egotistical because I can't imagine anyone being more so than myself, and I am certainly not behaving like someone on a mission from God, unless you count the Blues Brothers.

Pay attention.

I am paying attention. You make no sense. Also, you have failed to convince me that what you are doing is worth paying attention to.

You reject every extant religion, and have a website that purports to show 'the path,' or whatever, and then you deny you are trying to launch a religion. What would you call it if a bunch of people started believing as you do? I would call it a religion. The fact that you have failed to get anyone to follow you doesn't cancel the fact that if they did, it could be called a religion, thus you are taking actions that could result in the creation of a religion.

I am paying attention. You make no sense. Also, you have failed to convince me that what you are doing is worth paying attention to.

You reject every extant religion, and have a website that purports to show 'the path,' or whatever, and then you deny you are trying to launch a religion. What would you call it if a bunch of people started believing as you do? I would call it a religion. The fact that you have failed to get anyone to follow you doesn't cancel the fact that if they did, it could be called a religion, thus you are taking actions that could result in the creation of a religion.

The Pathway Machine is an interactive electronic parable of an atheist who posthumously is incorporated into an android who then embarks upon a sort of spiritual journey on the space station Laurasia following a global revolution. It's about art, entertainment, music, film, history, religion, sacred texts, social, political and economic reform on a massive scale.

I'm no L. Ron Hubbard.

Oh, that makes it alright.

People trying to launch a religion never use parables.

Oh, that makes it alright.

People trying to launch a religion never use parables.

Parables are a great way of teaching. What I believe and write about regarding the Bible on my website is basically for the most part almost exactly Watchtower material. The Watchtower is my primary resource for Bible stuff. not that I would recommend it, but if anyone were reading the stuff on my site about the Bible, which, by the way, is presented alongside albums by Motörhead, Marilyn Manson, Wednesday 13, W.A.S.P., as well as Buddhism, Confucianism, Shintoism, Taoism and The Dhammapada, The Four Noble Truths, The Gospel Of Buddha, Paradise Lost, The Divine Comedy, The Analects, The Works Of Mencius, The Bhagavad-Gita, The Quran, The Pirqe Aboth, The Kojiki, The Nihongi, The Tao Te Ching, and The Chuang Tzu, not to mention Super Chicken, George Of The Jungle and Prometheus And Bob cartoons . . . I would think they would be better off finding the Watchtower as a religion than the Pathway Machine. [Laughs] The Pathway Machine is my own exploration of spirituality on a grande scale that looks like a personal website. Not a religious effort.

Uh, look. I have to be frank here. I fucking hate Christians. Once a Christian always a Christian, which is why ex Christian atheist are such ignorant fucks. Narrow minded, bigoted, republican malpractice of eugenics. I got no patience for it anymore. Just to let you know.

Spoken like a true ignorant fuck. An insulting pretentious prick of an ignorant fuck at that.

Hey, DLH, are you ever going to come back to the bible challenge thread you started, and respond to the challenges? Or do I have to declare victory again to get your attention?

Just in case of the latter, "The current score is Atheists: 1 bajillion, DLH: 0, and time is running out folks!"

Back
Top Bottom