• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Sound Bites Of Jesus

Learner

You can hand wave until your arms fall off and you can try and turn the table on me. It comes down to the fact that Christianity is a belief in supernatural myths in four gospels by unknown authors.

Christians today have no clue as to the origins of the theology they believe in. Part of it is the myth that the Christianity today is the culture of a Jesus and the first followers whoever they may have been. Romans considered then heretic Jews until it spread to the gentiles.

If you want to know what an HJ may have been study Judaism in the ancient world, how they lived and practiced their religion.

The idea that a Jewish prophetfullfillingg a Jewid prophesy cmae for the etre world is a Christian invention,

The promise was that some in the audience would still be alive to witness the return of Jesus in power and glory.
You're referring to the 'transfiguration of Jesus'.

Luke 9: 32 Peter and his companions were very sleepy, but when they became fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him

Mark 9:2–8
After six days, Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up a high mountain apart by themselves. And he was transfigured before them.
His clothes became radiant, intensely white, as no one on earth could bleach them.

Mathew 17 : 1-2
After six days, Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There, He was transfigured before them, His face shining like the sun, and His clothes becoming as white as light.

The promise was that some in the audience would still be alive to witness the return of Jesus in power and glory.

Luke 9: 32 Peter and his companions were very sleepy, but when they became fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him

After six days, Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up a high mountain apart by themselves. And he was transfigured before them.
His clothes became radiant, intensely white, as no one on earth could bleach them.

After six days, Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There, He was transfigured before them, His face shining like the sun, and His clothes becoming as white as light.

No, I'm not referring to the transfiguration. The event is described as something that all the tribes on earth will see, Jesus in power and glory come to judge each according their deeds, etc, so it's clearly not the transfiguration.

HeeHee...keep those bible sound bites cumming folks.

QED

Jesus told them that they would see the sun go dark, the stars somehow 'falling' out of heaven, all people on earth weeping as they saw the Son of Man coming. He would gather all his chosen people together from all the corners of earth. All these things to happen before all those living had died. (MT 24: 29-34) Distinctly not an event purportedly seen by a select few. Anyway, the transfiguration in MT happens in chapter 17 -- this later apocalyptic vision isn't given by Jesus until chapter 24.

No, I'm not referring to the transfiguration. The event is described as something that all the tribes on earth will see, Jesus in power and glory come to judge each according their deeds, etc, so it's clearly not the transfiguration.
Yes I understand there are two perspectives of the verses I previously posted.

1: This generation, i.e. Peter, James & John will see the glory of Jesus, which does occur as described in the verses above (If we are going by this perspective).

2. If you mean Peter, James & John are 'this generation', said to remain alive, right up to the 'end times'(a second time seeing Jesus and his glory), then their mentioned deaths written in the bible is greatly too obvious a confliction. So by this notion...
... "the authors therefore strangely, prefer that these verses remain as it is, unchanged & uncorrected'. Unless, of course: its not what you or some people think 'this generation' is referring to.

Last edited:
What would Jesus do? Purim...Passover...Rosh Hashanah...Yom Kippur...Sukkor...Chanukah...
What do Christians do? Not so much...
Christians formed the early hospitals, charities, kitchens. Healing and feeding the poor...
... extended not solely just for Christians (nor Jews).

Yes I understand there are two perspectives of the verses I previously posted.

1: This generation, i.e. Peter, James & John will see the glory of Jesus which does occur as described in the verses above - If we are going by this perspective.

2. If you mean Peter, James & John are 'this generation', said to remain alive, right up to the 'end times'(a second time seeing Jesus and his glory), then their mentioned deaths written in the bible is greatly too obvious a confliction, yet remains there unedited. Unless, as I see it, its not what you or some people think 'this generation' is referring to. IOW it is referring to the future generation.

The perspective that is supported by the narrative is that we have an event being described in several gospels, with a timeframe for the event to happen given: that some of those who were present would live to see the event happen.

Which obviously means that the event would happen within that generation, not those living thousands of years in the future.

Which is precisely what the first generation of Christians expected to see on their lifetime, the return of Jesus in power and glory coming to establish the Rule of God on earth.

What would Jesus do? Purim...Passover...Rosh Hashanah...Yom Kippur...Sukkor...Chanukah...
Christians formed the early hospitals, charities, kitchens. Healing and feeding the poor...
Christian mythology.

Jesus told them that they would see the sun go dark, the stars somehow 'falling' out of heaven, all people on earth weeping as they saw the Son of Man coming. He would gather all his chosen people together from all the corners of earth. All these things to happen before all those living had died. (MT 24: 29-34) Distinctly not an event purportedly seen by a select few. Anyway, the transfiguration in MT happens in chapter 17 -- this later apocalyptic vision isn't given by Jesus until chapter 24.

When? Jesus tells the high priest at Jerusalem he will witness Jesus return with clouds of heaven. Matthew 26, Mark 14.

Matthew 26
64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Mark 14
62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Strangely enough, no argument with you here. My list was not at all about charitable giving. It was about Jesus, the role model for all Christians, as a practicing Jew, who followed, as far as we know, the observances of Judaism and obviously observed the holy days.

Back
Top Bottom