• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The University Of Austin

It still sounds like you haven't read what's in that section.
I read the entire article before I posted it.

It's clear to me that you, along with the other naysayers on this thread, are opposed to the people and the ideas behind the institution, but are just 'thinking of the children' when you object to the name or administrative progress.

It still sounds like you haven't read what's in that section.
I read the entire article before I posted it.
Rephrasing the observation to be more specific. "From your responses, there is no evidence you read with comprehension the Wiki site you posted".

It's clear to me that you, along with the other naysayers on this thread, are opposed to the people and the ideas behind the institution, but are just 'thinking of the children' when you object to the name or administrative progress.
I am not opposed to their attempts to set up a university. I doubt they will succeed for a number of reasons but this is the USA and they have the freedom to try.

They are appealing to a wide swath of Trumpsuckers, other ignoramuses and malcontents who have fallen for the lies about the breadth and depth of "wokeness" in academia.

Rephrasing the observation to be more specific. "From your responses, there is no evidence you read with comprehension the Wiki site you posted".
I read it and I understood it. The first sentence of the 'Reception' part said that some initial commentators criticised the 'lack of a plan'. That some commentators said that does not mean there was not a plan. Indeed, there is a plan and timeline, and they're on the website. That Loren read one sentence in the 'Reception' part of the article and instantly and uncritically accepted it (the Wiki article doesn't even say there wasn't a plan, but that commentators criticised the 'lack of a plan') proves only that people read uncritically when they see a supporting narrative.
I am not opposed to their attempts to set up a university. I doubt they will succeed for a number of reasons but this is the USA and they have the freedom to try.
I'm glad to hear you are not opposed.

I have the rather controversial opinion that plans should be at least longer and more comprehensive than what is written in a fortune cookie, The University of Austin has failed to achieve this.
They haven't published detailed plans, that's true. But that doesn't mean they don't have detailed plans. Nor does it mean a timeline with details cannot be developed into 'plans' to satisfy an audience of people like yourself who are ideologically opposed to the people and the ideas at the foundation of the university.

I read it and I understood it. The first sentence of the 'Reception' part said that some initial commentators criticised the 'lack of a plan'. That some commentators said that does not mean there was not a plan. Indeed, there is a plan and timeline, and they're on the website. That Loren read one sentence in the 'Reception' part of the article and instantly and uncritically accepted it (the Wiki article doesn't even say there wasn't a plan, but that commentators criticised the 'lack of a plan') proves only that people read uncritically when they see a supporting narrative.
As your response ironically provides evidence that people read uncritically when they see a supporting narrative, because there was much more in that section that was on point criticism. But hey, since you sympatico with their ideology and their straw men, why bother to think critically?

As your response ironically provides evidence that people read uncritically when they see a supporting narrative, because there was much more in that section that was on point criticism.
Loren responded to my assertion that the University of Austin founders had a plan and the criticism that it didn't have a plan was off-base. I linked the Wikipedia article to show the elements of the plan.

Whatever else was in the 'Reception' part was irrelevant to Loren's false assertion. But if he wants to discuss it, he can.

I don't understand why anybody has a firm opinion about this. It looks like a typical start-up to me.

Possibly grifters. Possibly well intentioned, but comes to nothing. Possibly turns out OK, but not as envisioned. Possibly a great addition to the Human Situation.
Who knows?

That's what start-ups look like at first.
Tom

Anyone remember Stve Bannon's startup to build the souther border wall?

They haven't published detailed plans, that's true. But that doesn't mean they don't have detailed plans.
Last time I checked, that's called an assumption. You reckon I could be part of the leadership of this University? A lot of these people call themselves left. Do you think as a leftist I would be accepted because I hold accountability higher then leftism?

They haven't published detailed plans, that's true. But that doesn't mean they don't have detailed plans.
Last time I checked, that's called an assumption.
I did not say they had detailed plans. I said not making publically available detailed plans does not mean they don't have detailed plans. And, in fact, I would not expect detailed planning documents to be made publically available if they had them. They are simply not meant for public consumption, and might contain commercially sensitive material

You reckon I could be part of the leadership of this University? A lot of these people call themselves left. Do you think as a leftist I would be accepted because I hold accountability higher then leftism?
If you had the relevant career experience for a senior position, and--more importantly--you shared the foundational values and wanted to work there--why shouldn't you be considered?

I did not say they had detailed plans. I said not making publically available detailed plans does not mean they don't have detailed plans. And, in fact, I would not expect detailed planning documents to be made publically available if they had them. They are simply not meant for public consumption, and might contain commercially sensitive material
Like I said; it's easy to write out a plan without compromising oneself and not make it look like a fortune cookie saying. They failed to do so, so I'm sticking with my opinion of insipid platitudes. For fuck's sake, they couldn't get beyond two fucking sentences. I love how you still call that legitimate, however.
If you had the relevant career experience for a senior position, and--more importantly--you shared the foundational values and wanted to work there--why shouldn't you be considered?
I am asking you - do you think I have a chance? Their foundational view as you put it is anti censorship. I think I could fit in. What do you think? Let's be honest; my criticisms towards their expression of their "plan" can only benefit them in revision with regards to recruitment. What do you think my chances are?

Like I said; it's easy to write out a plan without compromising oneself and not make it look like a fortune cookie saying. They failed to do so, so I'm sticking with my opinion of insipid platitudes. For fuck's sake, they couldn't get beyond two fucking sentences. I love how you still call that legitimate, however.
This exchange started with you mocking the project by saying calling it a university was 'Orwellian' and 'authoritarian'. You are wrong on both counts. If you had merely said you were unconvinced that anything would come to fruition, I'd never have engaged you in the first place.
I am asking you - do you think I have a chance? Their foundational view as you put it is anti censorship. I think I could fit in. What do you think? Let's be honest; my criticisms towards their expression of their "plan" can only benefit them in revision with regards to recruitment. What do you think my chances are?
I have no idea if you would 'stand a chance', because I have no idea who you are, where you live, whether you have relevant experience, and what roles the organisations has vacant. I'm completely baffled, in fact, as to your line of questioning.

This exchange started with you mocking the project by saying calling it a university was 'Orwellian' and 'authoritarian'. You are wrong on both counts.
Good to know. I was unclear if there is any flexibility allowed in pronouns.
I have no idea if you would 'stand a chance', because I have no idea who you are, where you live, whether you have relevant experience, and what roles the organisations has vacant. I'm completely baffled, in fact, as to your line of questioning.
I believe you.

I don't understand why anybody has a firm opinion about this. It looks like a typical start-up to me.

Possibly grifters. Possibly well intentioned, but comes to nothing. Possibly turns out OK, but not as envisioned. Possibly a great addition to the Human Situation.
Who knows?

That's what start-ups look like at first.
Tom
Some and probably most firm opinions are formed as a reaction to some of the political, moral and/or philosophical views defended by some of the creators and prominent supporters of this new university defend.

Typical startups usually have a detailed plan before they start seeking investors, excuse me, donations. Can you imagine what a bank would do if you walked in looking for a loan using their "plan"?

Typical startups usually have a detailed plan before they start seeking investors, excuse me, donations. Can you imagine what a bank would do if you walked in looking for a loan using their "plan"?
They aren't going to a bank. I cannot imagine a modern bank issuing a loan for a start-up non-profit institution of learning. I cannot imagine a bank giving a loan to any start-up with no assets or income.

Inform me. Did any bank give Zuckerberg a loan to get Facebook started? I doubt it, but I could be wrong.

I know, this could be the 2021 equivalent of Trump University or PragerU. But neither you nor I have any way of knowing about this particular venture. Not knowing what plans they have isn't the same as knowing that they don't have any.
Why not just do what I'm doing? Sit back and watch, without getting involved.
Tom

They haven't published detailed plans, that's true. But that doesn't mean they don't have detailed plans. Nor does it mean a timeline with details cannot be developed into 'plans' to satisfy an audience of people like yourself who are ideologically opposed to the people and the ideas at the foundation of the university.

It's possible they simply haven't published their plans, but they certainly should if they have solid plans. You expect to raise a bunch of money without showing people what it's for?!

Thus I conclude that they don't have a detailed, workable plan.

It's possible they simply haven't published their plans, but they certainly should if they have solid plans. You expect to raise a bunch of money without showing people what it's for?!
I am so glad you are concerned that this institution survives and thrives.

Thus I conclude that they don't have a detailed, workable plan.
Why should they publish detailed plans on the internet?

In the modern world of fake news and partisan attacks, I wouldn't give my enemies ammo by publishing sensitive information on the internet.

Like you concluding that they have no plans because they haven't shared much with you.
Tom

I am so glad you are concerned that this institution survives and thrives.
Where did Loren say that? The impression I got was that you are upset because no one is willing to have the same take as you do on this university because most people are aware of the concepts of scamming and grifting. I'm sure you can clarify your position on how Loren thinks so don't let me stop you.

Back
Top Bottom