• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The University Of Austin

Metaphor may want to consider enrolling at this "university," if it's such a credible institution. If nothing else, it seems that transphobia is one of this burgeoning new school's core focus areas, so he'd be able to pick a major fairly easily.

I am so glad you are concerned that this institution survives and thrives.
Where did Loren say that?
He did not. You see, I employed a very subtle kind of irony called screaming sarcasm. Loren clearly does not care if the university survives or thrives and is probably opposed to it doing so.

The impression I got was that you are upset
I am not upset; I am amused at the naked distress that people have at the very idea of this university, and a little bit sad.

because no one is willing to have the same take as you do on this university because most people are aware of the concepts of scamming and grifting.
I understand what a scam and what a grift is. It is just that I am not willing to accuse my ideological enemies of it just because they are my ideological enemies.

I'm sure you can clarify your position on how Loren thinks so don't let me stop you.
I don't know how much more obvious I can make my ironic statements but I'll try to do better in future.

Metaphor may want to consider enrolling at this "university," if it's such a credible institution.
I am not American and my tertiary education days are in the rear-view mirror.

If nothing else, it seems that transphobia is one of this burgeoning new school's core focus areas, so he'd be able to pick a major fairly easily.
Oh yes. What is transphobic about the school, and why do you think I am transphobic?

I don't "think" you're transphobic.

That's your cue to go into your tiresome illiterate act, where you don't know what words mean, and start wailing for definitions that you won't accept. Play it with someone else.

Metaphor may want to consider enrolling at this "university," if it's such a credible institution. If nothing else, it seems that transphobia is one of this burgeoning new school's core focus areas, so he'd be able to pick a major fairly easily.

Do you really not grasp the unsupported accusation you're making in these posts?

I've got my problems with things Meta has posted. I cannot think of a reason to insist on sexed pronouns rather than gendered pronouns. Maybe a couple of centuries ago the distinction wasn't clear, but in the here and now it's not a difficult distinction to make for us civilized people.

But you aren't helping, with your vague and unsupported accusations. How about we don't do that?
Tom

That's your cue to go into your tiresome illiterate act, where you don't know what words mean, and start wailing for definitions that you won't accept. Play it with someone else.
I am not interested in playing games. I am interested in people not making personal accusations they cannot or will not support.

Statement from Chancellor Robert J. Zimmer on his role for the University of Austin

I was asked to serve in an advisory role to the University of Austin by its founding president, Dr. Pano Kanelos. This board had no fiduciary, oversight or management responsibilities. While the new organization’s commitment to a liberal arts education and free expression reflects topics that are very important to me, I resigned from the Advisory Board on November 11, noting that the new university made a number of statements about higher education in general, largely quite critical, that diverged very significantly from my own views.

My focus and commitment have been, and will continue to be, to the University of Chicago. I will continue to work on and speak about the issue of free expression on campuses, and I wish the University of Austin success in advancing this essential priority

Ah, so the objection is merely the (clearly, aspirational) title, and not the values themselves? I'm glad to know you do not object to people starting something that is in accordance with their values, even when you oppose those values.
They shouldn't be calling it a university, especially when it clearly isn't one. Doing so is Orwellian and authoritarian.
Authoritarian?

"Orwellian" language isn't just any inaccurate language. It is language that is designed to limit heterodox thought, by eliminating words and changing meanings. I do not believe that an aspirational name is 'Orwellian'. As to whether they can legally call themselves a university without offering degree programs, I have no idea about the law in Texas or the US on that matter.
Whoever Controls Language Controls Thought. Also Orwellian Today Is the Fact That It's Not Even Noticed.

Using "they" with a singular antecedent is Orwellian, yet both the Left and Right use that collectivist structure. The media even go out of their way to do so. The Illiterate Language Lords push their ignorant and dysfunctional NewSpeak to eliminate a basic category of thought: Number. For example, instead of saying "If people do this, they get that", they will intentionally twist it to "If someone does this, they get that."

What, precisely, is your problem with this? That someone, somewhere, is starting something that accords with their values?
The problem is what was stated... they offer no degree, have no accreditation, yet call themselves a "University"? On their website the only information about any of this is how to "donate". If you don't see a problem with that then go donate, you silly mark.

There really was no list of positives.

Yes, there was.

And one can have a starter list of researchers without advertising. Now, do you have any more evidence of obtuseness you wish to submit?
Yes. How do you wish to start a university without naming it? You know, the question I asked.

The absolute state of this board.
Donate to my "Charity"... I don't give any of the money to anyone yet - still working on it... but hey, I have to start somewhere, right? I will start with calling it a charity and taking money, and work on doing stuff with my (err, I mean your money) later.

It's going well.

Doesn't seem like much critical thinking was exercised by all these self described critical thinkers before attaching themselves to this obvious flim-flam.

It's going well.

Doesn't seem like much critical thinking was exercised by all these self described critical thinkers before attaching themselves to this obvious flim-flam.

If people who do have access to the plans of the "University" are leaving, then that's better information than I have.

Maybe they are just a bunch of grifters. I dunno.
Tom

Out of curiosity.
What happened with the people who contributed to the "Build the Wall" thing? The one that turned out to be "The Big Steal"?

Did they get their money back?
Tom

The video game industry has taught me all the signs of a cash grab and this has every important box checked.

• The Trailers Show No Gameplay - Check!!
  • The developers are Over-Promising features - Check!
  • No Reviews until after the Game releases - Check!
  • It's a Dark and Gritty Reboot of a Family-Friendly Series - TRIPPLE CHECKED!!!

The video game industry has taught me all the signs of a cash grab and this has every important box checked.

• It's a Dark and Gritty Reboot of a Family-Friendly Series - TRIPPLE CHECKED!!!
You left out their dependence on pre-ordering. But other than that, it's a near perfect analogy.

What, precisely, is your problem with this? That someone, somewhere, is starting something that accords with their values?
The problem is what was stated... they offer no degree, have no accreditation, yet call themselves a "University"?
Yes - they intend to offer degrees to undergraduates.

No doubt if they had named this project 'Intended University of Austin', nobody anywhere would have had a problem with it.

On their website the only information about any of this is how to "donate". If you don't see a problem with that then go donate, you silly mark.

Why on earth would I donate solely on the basis that I don't see it as a grift? Is this how you make your donation decisions? Oh, this isn't a grift, so I'm going to donate. I need make no other evaluation.

Nobody has paid for a degree.

There really was no list of positives.

Yes, there was.

And one can have a starter list of researchers without advertising. Now, do you have any more evidence of obtuseness you wish to submit?
Yes. How do you wish to start a university without naming it? You know, the question I asked.

The absolute state of this board.
Donate to my "Charity"... I don't give any of the money to anyone yet - still working on it... but hey, I have to start somewhere, right? I will start with calling it a charity and taking money, and work on doing stuff with my (err, I mean your money) later.
It didn't call itself a charity.

The problem is what was stated... they offer no degree, have no accreditation, yet call themselves a "University"? On their website the only information about any of this is how to "donate". If you don't see a problem with that then go donate, you silly mark.
Well, if we are going to get technical...

- they offer no classes
- no place to even hold classes
- have no teaching staff

But they are hoping to like have a university some time around 2024. They are looking to be accredited.

The good news that a "school" is finally going to fix all the problems that exist in existing colleges, like...

...ummm...

...you know. The liberal stuff.

Back
Top Bottom