• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The US is a Christian Nation?

Zeluvia

Basic Beliefs
Thinking
I find this disturbing.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/...ld-biggest-buyer-arms-201431755950855624.html

The five largest arms suppliers worldwide between 2009 and 2013 were the United States (29 percent of global exports), Russia (27 percent), Germany (7 percent), China (6 percent) and France (5 percent). They collectively accounted for 74 percent of total arms exports, SIPRI said.

Not so much because I didn't know about it, of course, but because of the recent uptick in hostility between Russia and the US.

Are we just playing a game to increase our Arms sales? = ( Am I so jaded and used to conspiracy theories I could even think that?

How much of the arms supplied are being expensed as foreign aid, and how much really impacts our trade deficits?

How dependent on the military and related arms sales IS our economy? How painful economically would it be to transition to a more introverted, less involved country?

1 post in new forum...sigh

Beyond the disturbing militaristic attitude of many Christians (many also aren’t that way), I’d say the arm sales are somewhat a byproduct of the US govt. desire to dominate the world and to contain those our politicos perceive as dangerous to US power. Obviously the defense industry is going to grease DC to maximize is ability to export for more profit. Fracking oil is doing far more to reduce our trade deficit than anything in recent decades.

29% of $43 billion is $12 billion a year in exports for the US. Even if the number is double or triple that, it is hardly that significant in a $15 trillion economy, where we exported $2.27 trillion in 2013.
http://www.sipri.org/research/armaments/transfers/measuring/financial_values
By adding together the data that states have made available on the financial value of their 'arms exports' it is possible to say that that the total value of the global arms trade in 2011 was at least $43 billion. However, the true figure is likely to be higher.

http://www.fas.org/asmp/fast_facts.htm
Foreign Military Sales: These are sales of U.S. weapons, spare parts, construction, and related services purchased by foreign governments via the U.S. Department of State . [Data covers actual deliveries of military equipment or services.]
FY2001 total: $12.2 billion (deliveries)
$13.1 billion (new contracts)

• Direct Commercial Sales: These transfers are negotiated directly between the U.S. manufacturing company and the foreign buyers, and approved by the Department of State through the issuance of an export license.
FY2001 totals: $36.3 billion in licenses issued
$821.1 million in estimated deliveries*
<snip>
• Foreign Military Financing(FMF): U.S. tax dollars serve as military grants to foreign governments, underwriting their purchases of U.S. weaponry and services.
FY2003 requested FMF budget total:
$4.1 billion
($3.6 billion to the Middle East)
<snip>
One reason the defense industry has such influence in our government is because of federal campaign contributions. Past industry contributions as reported by the Federal Election Commission and presented by the Center for Responsive Politics:[14]
2002 Election Cycle (to date): $7.2 million
2000 Election Cycle: $13.6 million
1998 Election Cycle: $10.6 million

Back
Top Bottom