• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The world's deadliest animals

Only 475k counting all the wars going on??

I would have guessed us as being above the mosquito.

There aren't really many wars going on. Armed conflict is at an historic low, and has been in a general decline for a century (with occasional spikes). Those conflicts that do occur also currently tend to be less lethal than in the past.

I'd say if you want a valid metric of "deadly" you probably need to normalize by exposure.

Of course, my own metric is "which would you rather be locked in a small room with."

I wonder about a mosquito being counted as the deadliest animal. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the deadliest animal is the plasmodium microorganism?

I wonder about a mosquito being counted as the deadliest animal. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the deadliest animal is the plasmodium microorganism?

Malaria isn't the only thing mosquitoes carry.

Malaria isn't the only thing mosquitoes carry.

Not even close. Any number of haemorrhagic fevers and other diseases are mosquito-borne. They essentially take a little blood and inject it into people it didn't come from, which makes them an incredibly efficient and effective vector for a wide range of diseases.

Yellow fever, Dengue, West Nile virus, Zika, and a whole range of viral encephalitis variants are carried by mosquitoes.

There aren't really many wars going on. Armed conflict is at an historic low, and has been in a general decline for a century (with occasional spikes). Those conflicts that do occur also currently tend to be less lethal than in the past.

European countries, America, Russia, Japan and China, these were and still are the most powerful countries in the world. They have stopped killing each other or killing proxy countries like Korea and Vietnam have been.

And, Oh, look, the death toll is down. Seriously down.

Still many conflicts, relatively few casualties.

The Times They Are A-Changin'

https://www.bing.com/search?q=bob+d...849f-ff7c-9202-e926-3de2d5747111"&FORM=SNAPST

Still, we humans probably are among the biggest potential killers if not the biggest one. :(

EB

European countries, America, Russia, Japan and China, these were and still are the most powerful countries in the world. They have stopped killing each other or killing proxy countries like Korea and Vietnam have been.

And, Oh, look, the death toll is down. Seriously down.

Still many conflicts, relatively few casualties.

The Times They Are A-Changin'

https://www.bing.com/search?q=bob+d...849f-ff7c-9202-e926-3de2d5747111"&FORM=SNAPST

Still, we humans probably are among the biggest potential killers if not the biggest one. :(

EB

Having the potential for something is not the same as being that thing. Arguing against X because X has the potential for Y is a form of non-sequitur fallacy. I am a potential murderer, but that's not a reason to put me in jail. My set of kitchen knives are potentially deadly weapons, but that's no reason to prohibit me from cooking with them.

Back
Top Bottom