• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The world’s most popular pesticide probably killed England’s wild bees

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
Since around 2002, farmers in the English countryside have been using neonic insecticides to protect their abundant oilseed crops spanning 8.2 million hectares. Now, scientists are linking the chemicals, also called neonicotinoids, to the death of half of the wild bee population in the country, according to a new study published in Nature Communications.
Many bee species forage on the bright yellow oilseed crops that grow in the UK. The seeds for these crops are coated with neonicotinoids upon planting. Then, the chemical systematically expresses itself in all cells of the growing plant. Bees that feed on the plant ingest the chemical through the pollen or nectar.
Researchers studied 62 species of wild bees across England from 1994 to 2011. Over the last nine years, the decline in population size was three times worse among species that regularly fed on oilseed plants compared to others that forage on different floral resources, the study found. Five species showed declines of 20% or more, with the worst-hit species experiencing a 30% drop in its population.
http://qz.com/760688/bee-colony-collapse-due-to-neonicotinoids-the-worlds-most-popular-pesticide/

when I started hearing about Bee loss in the US several years ago, I researched beekeeping. Very interesting hobby... and not expensive to get into.
One thing I found particularly interesting is that experienced beekeepers don't even wear any protective clothing (especially not wearing gloves). you only get stung if you make a mistake (but you will - especially if you are wearing gloves - so, if you are allergic then definitely not for you).

Bees make extra honey and keep it in the periphery of their hive. They need honey to survive the winter and feed their babies.. that is the "brood honey" and it is deeper within the hive. You leave that for them, and take the extra they make to ensure honey eaters (like us) have something so they (we) don't take from the brood.

so interesting.

The seeds for these crops are coated with neonicotinoids upon planting. Then, the chemical systematically expresses itself in all cells of the growing plant.

How does a "coating" end up "expressing itself in all of the cells of the growing plant"?

ETA: This explanation makes more sense:

"The hallmark of neonicotinoids is that they are systemic," Delaplane added. That means they travel throughout a plant via its vascular system and distribute the chemical to all parts of the plant tissue 24/7, including its nectar and pollen.
http://www.mnn.com/your-home/organi...onicotinoids-what-home-gardeners-need-to-know

So apparently nicotine kills bees, too

"The hallmark of neonicotinoids is that they are systemic," Delaplane added. That means they travel throughout a plant via its vascular system and distribute the chemical to all parts of the plant tissue 24/7, including its nectar and pollen.
http://www.mnn.com/your-home/organi...onicotinoids-what-home-gardeners-need-to-know

I guess it's similar to putting tick control chemicals on your dog. You put it on one small spot on the dog and it spreads so that ticks anywhere on the dog will get ill/stay away.

Hmmm...I am not sure if I really want to eat my veggies now.

Actually, the death of bees happens throughout the UK, and is not subject to apartheid.

Back
Top Bottom