• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

three qualities you gained from serving

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
The company wants to put pictures of the veterans employed here on the Veterans Wall of Honor.

Send in a picture of you in service, with a caption, list your dates in uniform, and "list three qualities you gained from serving that make you a stronger employee today"

The last one's a bit of a poser. I mean, in my office, the first response is going to be 'your mom is a quality.'

The recruiting poster Marine they used for the example on the email listed, of course, 'Courage, Honor, and Commitment.'
I'm not sure I gained courage, per se, in the service. I found several opportunities to drop a dipstick into my courage reserves and see what was there, but I really don't think that's something they instilled.

What I had when I got out, that I know I didn't have when I went in?
A dread of classified paperwork.
A fear of fire.
A healthy respect for electricity and a dislike of the way it makes your mouth taste for an hour after flying across the compartment.
Telling time by 24 hour clock.
The ability to acronym MFAO. IYKWIM.
Swearing (to include frequency, volume, vocabulary and conjugation).
Certain practices to be observed on the maneuvering watch so the ship would not try to sink in the channel which some might term 'superstition' but every time I skipped the ritual, we hit something on the way out. Thus, I prefer to refer to it as 'paying attention.'
And of course, the ability to sleep just about anywhere.

None of which seem like the sort of thing they're looking for on the wall...

Anyone else have gains from their service?

I suspect, as you imply, that the experience refines whatever is already in the person. So a person who joins with the concepts of honesty, integrity and all the rest has plenty of opportunities to know that they have them. And a person who doesn't have them will find that, too, and may choose to realign their thinking. Probably those are the responders the poster makers are looking for.

But I think that if you suggest "Refinement" they might not understand. :)

The ability the empathize with the Mess Cranks.
The intuition to get out of the way of the shitstorm coming.
The creativity to interpret an order in the most advantageous way possible.
The passion to clean the hell out of everything upon entering port so the XO will put down liberty call.
The ability to persuade my people to get the job done regardless of the bullshit excuses they are feeding me.

1. More insect bites than I could count or care to remember.

2. An all expenses paid, extended stay in one of the countries finest medical facilities.

3. A free burial plot for myself and my wife.

Anyone else have gains from their service?

The knowledge that it takes no intelligence, morality, or really any positive character trait at all to become a figure of authority, which lead to...
A healthy lack of respect for authority figures, which lead to...
An intimate knowledge of the UCMJ, and the inside workings of CC (corrective custody, or brig, for you Navy types).

And yes, just like most service members, the ability to sleep just about anywhere.

Ah, so that's what they were doing when they were supposed to be looking out.

And yes, just like most service members, the ability to sleep just about anywhere.

Ah, so that's what they were doing when they were supposed to be looking out.

On my first ship, I was in Deck Dept. Actually just 1st Division. Adams Class Destroyers weren't large enough to have a Deck Dept. I stood the bridge watch rotation: Messenger of the Watch, Helm, Lee Helm, and the three Lookouts: Port, Starboard, and Aft. For months we were six hours on, six hours off; through the Persian Gulf and afterwards due to manning issues. Upon exiting the gulf, we had a change of command. This new CO loved firing the 5"/54s and did so for about two weeks. My berthing was directly under the forward 5".
I can affirm, most service members can not only sleep just about anywhere but through anything. But this sailor never slept on watch, not even the tranquil aft lookout with the gentle rocking of the ship and magic fingers of a spinning screw shaft.

So, give me a steadfast devotion to duty.

USS Joseph Strauss DDG 16.jpg
You like my paint job? It was during my Haze Grey period.

three qualities you gained from serving

indifference
ticks
flirtatiousness

How to go 'camping'. (Field manuevers)

How to go camping in the bitter cold. (More field manuevers)

Endurance. (Forced marches, runs, sleep deprivation and still more manuevers)

How to get along with different cultures, backgrounds and ethnicities.

Back
Top Bottom