• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Thunderf00t and feminism

Even if I accept your claim that none of our cognitive abilities, including abstract reasoning and complex language, are unique to humans, it is still irrelevant because the end result is that humans are more intelligent than other species, including our hominid ancestors and extant relatives.
View attachment 9090

Please explain the relevance of fair selection.

This one is great. But he's not the best ranter. He's a tad long winded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXz7LTItF4s

He also went off on a tangent more than once. It began as a video about BBC producers who can't tell the difference between a blatant troll and a real feminist, but then he veers onto a rant about how modern feminists are thin-skinned, and then he veers off again to make the claim that feminists hate sexy women and that's why they degrade them by calling them sex objects.

This one is great. But he's not the best ranter. He's a tad long winded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXz7LTItF4s

He also went off on a tangent more than once. It began as a video about BBC producers who can't tell the difference between a blatant troll and a real feminist, but then he veers onto a rant about how modern feminists are thin-skinned, and then he veers off again to make the claim that feminists hate sexy women and that's why they degrade them by calling them sex objects.

Like I said, not the best ranter. David Mitchel is a fantastic ranter.

That's from studying hunter gathers from today. I'm talking about way back when we were still transitioning from ape to homo sapiens. There had to be a point when all this gendering fakery nonsense started. Chimpanzees don't do it.

I suspect that Chimpanzees would do it if they had the brains to devise fakery. Any behaviour that increases an individual's likelihood of reproductive success is likely to survive and propagate.
Chimpanzees have the brains to devise fakery. They're accomplished liars.

I suspect that Chimpanzees would do it if they had the brains to devise fakery. Any behaviour that increases an individual's likelihood of reproductive success is likely to survive and propagate.
Chimpanzees have the brains to devise fakery. They're accomplished liars.

Maybe I was wrong about chimps: Male chimps do exaggerate their masculinity with dominance displays, where they make a lot of noise, strut and posture to make themselves look bigger etc. This behaviour can also be found in human males, and probably counts as a type of Butler's 'performative gender'. In modern human society it is generally stupid and counterproductive behaviour because it no longer effectively serves the purpose that it does in chimpanzees.

Look, I believe that men and women are biologically different. But I also believe that we exaggerate innate masculinity and innate femininity. For no real reason. Butler explains it as "performative gender". It isn't enough to be ourselves in our genders, we also have to perform our gender.

Like I said, not the best ranter. David Mitchel is a fantastic ranter.

I binged watched his Soapbox channel recently. His delivery is much more polished; even when he's ranting off-the-cuff on QI and other shows.

Thunderf00t's 'why people laugh at creationists' series is basically a scientist heaping dry scorn, facts and logic on idiots, but his anti-feminism videos are considerably less dry and and he substitutes opinions and petty bullshit in place of facts and logic.

The dude needs to get back to doing what he does best, although I doubt he will because anti-feminism is easier to monetise.

Maybe I was wrong about chimps: Male chimps do exaggerate their masculinity with dominance displays, where they make a lot of noise, strut and posture to make themselves look bigger etc. This behaviour can also be found in human males, and probably counts as a type of Butler's 'performative gender'. In modern human society it is generally stupid and counterproductive behaviour because it no longer effectively serves the purpose that it does in chimpanzees.

It's not counter productive if it helps us get laid. You've painted yourself into a corner where you're implying that you know what the meaning of life is? If you didn't, how can you claim something is counterproductive? What is it that we're supposed to produce instead?

I binged watched his Soapbox channel recently. His delivery is much more polished; even when he's ranting off-the-cuff on QI and other shows.

His brilliance makes me sexually excited. He's the only man I'd ever consider going gay for. But I strongly doubt he would appreciate my offer.

It's not counter productive if it helps us get laid. You've painted yourself into a corner where you're implying that you know what the meaning of life is? If you didn't, how can you claim something is counterproductive? What is it that we're supposed to produce instead?

I meant that it's counterproductive in that going apeshit typically ends up spoiling one's chances of getting laid.

I meant that it's counterproductive in that going apeshit typically ends up spoiling one's chances of getting laid.

Hmm.. but does it? This is the bad boy trope. Men wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't work. The ladies love these kind of guys.

I've got a theory about this. It's completely unsubstantiated by anything but my anecdotal evidence. I think we basically have an emotional slider. We can be more or less emotionally shut off. Emotionally shut off is bad because it robs us of enjoying life. It makes us emotionally cold and if fucks our bodies off. I've done plenty of yoga and power lifting. That shit is all about mind body connection. The strongest and most nimble are never intellectual types. Same goes for dancers.

Being emotionally available and open means being more human, for good or for worse. And since we're related to the chimps, it means we're suckers for performative displays. These people will be doing all those stuff.

It may very well be that the only choice we really have in life is to be rational or happy. And being happy might mean doing more things similar to what chimps do.

Thunderf00t is right, third-wave feminism is something to be scorned.

feminist.jpg

http://nsuworks.nova.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2467&context=tqr

Pffffth. Feminism of any kind is scorned. Femininity in general is demonized from a million directions throughout our culture and history. I love seeing frightened pansies cry about it, though. :) Anyway, there's nothing you can do about it except gorilla posturing and violence.

Christina Hoff Sommers is great. I've been following her for years. Her visit to Oberlin College last year will go down as a classic in feminist snowflake history:

http://www.thirdbasepolitics.com/oberlin-feminists-accuse-christina-hoff-sommers-of-supporting-racists/

Not surprisingly, many in the audience were quite rude and frequently interrupted Sommers. Many students sat in the audience with duct tape over their mouths, inferring that Sommers’ mere presence was an attempt to silence them. Ironically, by labeling her a “rapist supporter” and interrupting her, they were actually striving to silence her.

For most in the audience, rational discussion of facts is not even welcome.

Example: Sommers discussed the myth of the wage gap and explained that, in general, women choose to follow career paths that pay less than men. More women choose to study arts and humanities, while men are more likely to study engineering and science. Since there is more of a need and demand in the job market for technological expertise, people (men AND women) who go into engineering will earn more than people (men AND women) who major in art history, for example.

When she suggested that women could earn more and close the wage gap by changing their majors to something like engineering, many in the audience jeered loudly and exclaimed “Don’t tell me what to do!!”.

Don’t give me facts. Just shut up. That’s how Sommers was responded to.

Yeah, that's really interesting. My favourite feminist Janet Radcliffe Richards, she's awesome and kick-ass. But also a serious researcher. She just follows where the evidence takes her. But she's a biologist and not a sociologist. So she's a different kind of feminist.

I wonder whether militant feminism hurts feminism more than it helps.

Hmm.. but does it? This is the bad boy trope. Men wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't work. The ladies love these kind of guys.

The bad boy stereotype is more of an image than anything--the possibility of danger and excitement. Women love the idea of a guy who can fight, rides a motorcycle, flaunts the law, has tattoos and muscles etc. but actually getting into fights, committing crimes, crashing your motorcycle, going to jail etc. are counterproductive.

A closer human equivalent to the chimp alpha male is the CEO, dictator, feudal lord, gang leader etc. because these are the men with power. But these men do not employ chimp dominance displays to get where they are; they win their positions by making social connections, building a group of followers, and getting others to work for them.

I've got a theory about this. It's completely unsubstantiated by anything but my anecdotal evidence. I think we basically have an emotional slider. We can be more or less emotionally shut off. Emotionally shut off is bad because it robs us of enjoying life. It makes us emotionally cold and if fucks our bodies off. I've done plenty of yoga and power lifting. That shit is all about mind body connection. The strongest and most nimble are never intellectual types. Same goes for dancers.

Being emotionally available and open means being more human, for good or for worse. And since we're related to the chimps, it means we're suckers for performative displays. These people will be doing all those stuff.

It may very well be that the only choice we really have in life is to be rational or happy. And being happy might mean doing more things similar to what chimps do.

Emotional people don't seem that happy to me. Rather they are often plagued with problems that could have been avoided or quickly solved had they exercised their brains, and they depend on petty distractions and religion in order to cope.

Emotional people don't seem that happy to me. Rather they are often plagued with problems that could have been avoided or quickly solved had they exercised their brains, and they depend on petty distractions and religion in order to cope.

Don't you think it's more a question of them having the ability to communicate their feelings, that you think comes across as being sad?

I can only speak for myself. I used to be very intellectual and emotionally shut off. When I worked on opening myself up to allow myself to be vulnerable life was much more pleasant. Now I love talking and connecting with people. I used to get bored with that.

Back
Top Bottom