• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Time to scrap the fucking Electoral College!

It would be the law of their state and would be a compact between states. If a state tried to get out it after an election, it would be quite a legal brouhaha.

Any member state may withdraw from this agreement, except that a withdrawal occurring six months or less before the end of a President' s term shall not become effective until a President or Vice President shall have been qualified to serve the next term.

The problem with that is. If a state decides to renege on their commitment to allocate their electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote, how do the other states in the compact force compliance with the agreement in the same election? As far as I can tell, there's no way to force a state to live up to their end of the bargain, that same election, should they renege.

But a state can't just violate their own law so easily.

Who holds them accountable if they do and can said accountability occur in the time between the elections and the vote in the Electoral College?

It would be the law of their state and would be a compact between states. If a state tried to get out it after an election, it would be quite a legal brouhaha.

The problem with that is. If a state decides to renege on their commitment to allocate their electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote, how do the other states in the compact force compliance with the agreement in the same election? As far as I can tell, there's no way to force a state to live up to their end of the bargain, that same election, should they renege.

Since this would change the way that a state allocates its votes for President, wouldn't that require a constitutional amendment to make it happen and they couldn't back out without Trump's FBI agents kicking down the doors to the State House and shooting them all for not giving proper praise to Trump and the totally excellent constitutional amendment he made which really everyone was telling him was absolutely great?

Who holds them accountable if they do and can said accountability occur in the time between the elections and the vote in the Electoral College?
Probably too short a time frame. But couldn't the other states sue the renegging state because its decision will indirectly affect their implementation of the pact?

In any case, the laws of each states are binding enough I think. Besides this possibility of one state renegging on the deal is only for the intermediate term when more than 50% of the EVs are in the pact, but there are still some states that could reverse that. If enough other states join the pact then an individual defector will not be able to do anything about it.

The Constitution puts states in charge of selecting electors.

Article II said:
Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector

That's why ME and NE can split up their electors by districts. Early on, electors weren't even chosen by popular vote in many states.

The Constitution puts states in charge of selecting electors.

Article II said:
Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector

That's why ME and NE can split up their electors by districts. Early on, electors weren't even chosen by popular vote in many states.

Exactly, that same provision that would allow a state to join said compact, would also allow them to renege. They could get around this by making the law look like they're joining the compact, but reserve the right of the state to allocate electors in a manner of their own choosing.

A state that reserves that in their law hasn't joined the compact.

That's because elections for the house are elections for officials who represent you on the most local level, senators and presidents encompass larger areas that are too big to bring it all together when the fastest mode of transit is a boat or a horse.

That's not the reason. Washington DC is the same distance from anywhere else in the US whether you are a Congressman or a President.

The reason that the public don't select the President is because the Founding Fathers believed that this would be a dangerous thing to do, as it would place excessive power in the hands of the people. They wanted to have a body that could review and (if necessary) reject the peoples' choice, if the people made the mistake of selecting a bad President because of his charisma, rather than his ability.

An important correction: it wasn't the people's choice. It was the state legislature's choice. The Constitution gives state legislatures the power over how electors are chosen. Most states did not use popular elections to choose (chuse) in the first few presidential elections.

Also, as much as people bitch about the electoral college and how it is not democratic, the big problem is not that we elect electors, but that that most states have chosen to go with a winner take all system. Hence Trump can win 50.1% of Pennsylvania and get 100% of its electoral votes. This can be changed without changing the Constitution, but most states will be too partisan to do it.

If I were campaigning for governor of a swing state, I'd run on a promise to allocate electoral votes proportionally, just so my state will only ever give a one or two vote advantage to a candidate and thereby completely spare my population all those fucking annoying election ads each year. I'd also campaign on making it so that everybody has to line up outside of the governor's mansion once a week and entertain me with a mass choreographed dance like they have in North Korea because that would be cool and nobody would notice that I included it because they were all rushing too fast to vote for me because of the first one.

If I were campaigning for governor of a swing state, I'd run on a promise to allocate electoral votes proportionally, just so my state will only ever give a one or two vote advantage to a candidate and thereby completely spare my population all those fucking annoying election ads each year. I'd also campaign on making it so that everybody has to line up outside of the governor's mansion once a week and entertain me with a mass choreographed dance like they have in North Korea because that would be cool and nobody would notice that I included it because they were all rushing too fast to vote for me because of the first one.

Lol. You could also say you'll hire two very attractive women to do hot girl on girl every Friday. :diablotin:

Last edited:
Well, that goes without saying. Including it would be as redundant as saying that, if elected, I promise to breathe every day.

Lol. You could also say you'll hire two very attractive women to do hot girl on girl every Friday. :diablotin:

Your objectification of women and lesbians in particular as objects for the enjoyment of others is disgusting and cannot be tolerated. Mods BAN HIMMMMM!

Your objectification of women and lesbians in particular as objects for the enjoyment of others is disgusting and cannot be tolerated. Mods BAN HIMMMMM!

Welcome to Trump's America. Your oppression of him by complaining about his objectification of women is now the real problem and you will be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

Welcome to Trump's America. Your oppression of him by complaining about his objectification of women is now the real problem and you will be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

First they came for the BLM protestors, and I did not speak up because I wasn't a BLM protester.

Then they came for the feminists, and I did not speak up because I wasn't a feminist.

Then they came for the SJWs, and I did not speak up, because I wasn't an SJW.

Finally they came for me, and there was nobody left to speak up. :(

First they came for the BLM protestors, and I did not speak up because I wasn't a BLM protester.

Then they came for the feminists, and I did not speak up because I wasn't a feminist.

Then they came for the SJWs, and I did not speak up, because I wasn't an SJW.

Finally they came for me, and there was nobody left to speak up. :(

Has anyone come for the BLM yet?

Has anyone come for the BLM yet?

Obama's doing it tomorrow. That was about 90% of the topic for his meeting with Trump. Trump wants his rounding up of dissidents to be a bipartisan initiative and, in the spirit of reconciling the divide in the nation and helping to heal the country and move it forward and help smooth the transition of power, Obama agreed to kick it off during his last couple of months.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3701291/th...still-make-hillary-clinton-president-in-2016/

"Chris Suprun is a first responder from Texas who traveled to the Pentagon in the wake of 9/11."

"He told Politico that he isn’t ruling out a vote to Hillary Clinton come December, saying, “I’m not a professional politician. I’ve got no training on this one. The nominee is saying things that in an otherwise typical election year would have you disqualified.”"

"Suprun is reportedly referring to a time when Donald Trump said, “The generals are going to commit war crimes because I tell them to.”"

"Suprun had this interview with Politico long before the Trump tapes came out. He said that he originally ran for the position of elector intending to support his party’s nominee. But he says the process has become “check-the-box,” and he takes his electoral role very seriously. His own Congressional District, Texas’ 30th, supports Hillary Clinton, and he says that could be a factor in his final decision when it comes time to vote on December 19."

Getting back to faithless electors for a moment, anyone think he would do it?

Back
Top Bottom