• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tired Light Explains Away Dark Matter

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker

So this model, and it is still controversial, basically argues that JWST observations of the early universe show too many galaxies already formed and operating 300 million years after the Big Bang. This contradicts galaxy formation models. There is also an issue with their angular sizes. But I wonder if that has to do with gravitational lensing.

The model postulates that light ones energy over vast distances and thus the universe is actually twice as old as previously thought. The author postulates that instead of dark matter and dark energy, the data can be shown to be the result of the weakening of the forces of nature over vast distances.

However the author does not discuss the galaxy rotation issue. So I’m not sure how that can be explained away.

Two other articles about the findings are here.

The author though admits that his model cannot account for the CMB and its anisotropic nature, or the supernova data, but hopes further refinements and data will fix that.

There is also MOND. Modified Newtonian Dynamics. The theory that Newtonian physics
we have relied on may be a spacial case, not applicable to the Universe taken as a whole.

Reactions: SLD
There is also MOND. Modified Newtonian Dynamics. The theory that Newtonian physics
we have relied on may be a spacial case, not applicable to the Universe taken as a whole.

With 20th-century physics increasingly being called into question, the advice Max Planck received as an undergraduate is increasingly ironic:
When 16 year old Max Planck started college in the 1870’s, he told a professor at the University of Munich that he wanted to major in physics. The professor replied by warning him that it was probably a bad idea: “In this field, almost everything is already discovered, and all that remains is to fill a few holes.” Young Planck ignored the advice, saying he didn’t care if he discovered anything new, he just wanted to understand the known laws of physics at a deeper level.

So this model, and it is still controversial, basically argues that JWST observations of the early universe show too many galaxies already formed and operating 300 million years after the Big Bang. This contradicts galaxy formation models. There is also an issue with their angular sizes. But I wonder if that has to do with gravitational lensing.

The model postulates that light ones energy over vast distances and thus the universe is actually twice as old as previously thought. The author postulates that instead of dark matter and dark energy, the data can be shown to be the result of the weakening of the forces of nature over vast distances.
I ponder whether LIGO tosses this in the trash heap though. They have detected black hole collisions via LIGO and capturing gamma waves, and the detections were about the same time. It'd seem funky that forces would equally weaken.
However the author does not discuss the galaxy rotation issue. So I’m not sure how that can be explained away.
It doesn't sound like he explained anything away. Generally these grandiose redefinitions disappear with scrutiny. It'd seem more likely that either our understanding of galaxy formation or our interpretation of ages could be off.

I ponder whether LIGO tosses this in the trash heap though. They have detected black hole collisions via LIGO and capturing gamma waves, and the detections were about the same time. It'd seem funky that forces would equally weaken.
It doesn't sound like he explained anything away. Generally these grandiose redefinitions disappear with scrutiny. It'd seem more likely that either our understanding of galaxy formation or our interpretation of ages could be off.
Your last point is exactly what he’s arguing. The universe is far older, twice as old, as previously thought. The need for tired light comes in to explain that weakening of forces over vast distances that gives us the appearance of a much younger universe. The author admits it takes some tweaking of various parameters to get the results needed. But that’s what models do.

MOND was postulated to explain the galaxy rotation problem. The paper doesn’t address that. I thought though that MOND had been ruled out by other observations several years ago.

Back
Top Bottom