• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Today A Chicken Saved My Life

Morality is a social consensus. The old Samurai morality that required suicide on demand from your master.

Stoics believed suicide was a an acceptable response to an untenable situation. We don't criticize Socrates for taking his own life when he could have just left.

Personal belief is not an absolute morality. Nazis had personal beliefs. Christians have personal beliefs repugnant to me.

As to the OP, I borrowed a line from a movie that went 'IAfish saved my life, I ate it'.

Is a lion immoral for tearing at the flesh of a prey in pursuit with the prey in terror?

Arguments for justifying moralities is as old as philosophy.

Morality is restraint put on the powerful by the masses.
Morality is a control placed by the powerful on the masses.

Christianity especially the RCC has always been an instrument of state power under the guise of a god's moral code.

To me vegetarian is a feel good easy position to take. There is no political or social cost to it. No one cares if you are vegeterian.

Ever watch video of Orcas going after seals? To a human it may seem brutal.

Would you starve rather than eat chicken?

You may wonder how a chicken saved my life. The answer is simple, I ate it.

And you took its.

Which of you had a choice?

My choice is eat or die, like any creature. Is my eating chicken any less moral that a lion taking down a prey?

If I wandered naked in parts of Africa without weapons odds are sooner or later I'd be on the menu of a predator.

If you believe evolution made creatures through mutation and natural selection then we are what we are, omnivores.

You aren't a lion, Steve. Lions also kill the children of lionesses to induce them to mate again. Would you consider using the example of a lion as an excuse if you killed the child of some woman?

All of this is a basic reasoning fallacy. It should be obvious. I think you actually are probably grappling with feelings of guilt.
We are not lioms, but we are waht evolution made us, just like lions.

Morality including region is a thin veneer intended to suppress our basic genetic instincts. Human morality easily breaks down resulting in riots collective violence. Ethiopia right now. Tribal violent territorialism over compromise.

The idea we are superior and above all else is a human myth, partly based in Genesis.

You may wonder how a chicken saved my life. The answer is simple, I ate it.

And you took its.

Which of you had a choice?

My choice is eat or die, like any creature. Is my eating chicken any less moral that a lion taking down a prey?

If I wandered naked in parts of Africa without weapons odds are sooner or later I'd be on the menu of a predator.

If you believe evolution made creatures through mutation and natural selection then we are what we are, omnivores.

You aren't a lion, Steve. Lions also kill the children of lionesses to induce them to mate again. Would you consider using the example of a lion as an excuse if you killed the child of some woman?

All of this is a basic reasoning fallacy. It should be obvious. I think you actually are probably grappling with feelings of guilt.
We are not lioms, but we are waht evolution made us, just like lions.

Morality including region is a thin veneer intended to suppress our basic genetic instincts. Human morality easily breaks down resulting in riots collective violence. Ethiopia right now. Tribal violent territorialism over compromise.

The idea we are superior and above all else is a human myth, partly based in Genesis.
Morality *is an instinct steve*. I have no idea what you are rambling about being superior. Or what any of this has to do with anything. Are you saying you think there is nothing wrong with, say, rape or killing another person? Is that what you are arguing? At least then you would be consistent, I suppose.

I know what you meant when you wrote your OP. It just made it easy for people to play with your title instead of having a discussion about whether or not, being an omnivore in the year 2021 is a moral position.

Btw, I eat meat, although I'd probably be a happy vegan if someone prepared really good vegan food for me. Being a vegan and having a healthy diet is a lot more complicated than eating a small portion of meat and two fresh, healthy veggie sides.

I've met a couple of vegans who had diets that lacked adequate protein and essential vitamins. Some of us don't absorb iron well from non heme sources of food. Plus, a vegan must take vitamin B12 supplements to stay healthy. But yes. We evolved to include animals in our diet. But, we originally did our own hunting and later we raised and slaughtered our own animals. It's a lot different now.

While animals can be raised and slaughtered humanely, it can be difficult to always find that type of meat. We still have a lot of factory farms that raise and slaughter animals in very cruel ways. Plus we now have a better understanding of the environmental impact of raising animals for human consumption. It's complicated. I think the best solution might be to eat far less meat and include more healthy sources of protein from grains and nuts in our diets. I don't condemn those who eat a lot of meat. I'm just considering what might be best for people going forward.

Is this what. you wanted to discuss when you wrote the OP, Steve? If not, give me a clue.

Morality an instinct? What would that be. Over human history there have been and still are conflicting moralities. The abortion debate today.

Pets cats and dogs that go feral revert to other genetic predispositions. Feral cats act like their big cat cisins.

Us humans are omnivores. Is there something wrong with that?

Morality an instinct? What would that be. Over human history there have been and still are conflicting moralities. The abortion debate today.

Pets cats and dogs that go feral revert to other genetic predispositions. Feral cats act like their big cat cisins.

Us humans are omnivores. Is there something wrong with that?
I don't think there is anything wrong with being an omnivore. My personal objections are to the way that the animals I eat are often raised and slaughtered. Sure, that's my personal morality, but there are many people who are either ignorant of how these animals are treated or choose to ignore these facts. There is also the negative impact that raising animals for meat can have on the environment. In an ideal world, humans would hunt and eat the animals that they kill or raise and slaughter their own animals for food. I've actually met a woman who did that. I've known hunters who ate mostly deer, that they had killed themselves, but those things aren't practical in modern society. The very least we can demand, is that our sources of meat lived in humane conditions prior to being slaughtered. And, there are ways of humanely slaughtering animals. I'm not sure how often those methods are used these days.

Back
Top Bottom