• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Toilet Swirl and the Coriolis Effect

Didn't watch. I can factually tell you that the difference in swirl that people claim exists is 100% due to the design of the toilet and has absolutely nothing to do with the coriolis effect...

I suppose there's a tide in your bowl that rises and falls with the phase of the moon too, huh?

Didn't watch. I can factually tell you that the difference in swirl that people claim exists is 100% due to the design of the toilet and has absolutely nothing to do with the coriolis effect...

I suppose there's a tide in your bowl that rises and falls with the phase of the moon too, huh?

Thanks for missing the point. Congratulations?

oh.. this thread was supposed to be about dual screen synchronization? OK. The point, then?

Aha! That's why the level in the laundry detergent bottle keeps changing!!

oh.. this thread was supposed to be about dual screen synchronization? OK. The point, then?

The point is that the Hemispheric Coriolis effect is observable, given a sufficient large body of water present under certain extraordinary conditions.

Water swirls in a toilet, and water swirls in hurricanes and cyclones. People have assumed the cause of both kinds of swirls is the same--the Coriolis effect. However, in debunking that claim (No, the toilet swirl is actually a product of toilet design,) other people have taken the argument too far in the opposite direction (no Coriolis effect can be detected on such a small scale).

The video demonstrated that a body of water as small as a kiddie pool will behave differently depending on which hemisphere it's located in. And the second point is that synced videos is an interesting use of a relatively new medium (online videos).

There is a 25% probability that the results would come about merely by chance (p<0.25), so I am not quite convinced that they proved the Coriolis Effect. The kiddie pool radius still seems too small. Increase the number of kiddie pools and I will be convinced.

The strongest effect would be if the pool is centered on one of the earth rotational poles. In that case the difference in velocity between the outer rim of the pool and the center will be circumference / 24 hours = 6 m / (24*60*60s) = 1/14400 m/s = 7E-5 m/s.
If the entire pool would move with that velocity that would amount to the kinetic energy of mv2/2 = m*49E-10/2 = m2.5E-9 J
Now compare that with the energy of the water flowing out: = the potential energy of the water falling a meter: sqrt(2mgh) = sqrt(20m)=4*sqrt(m)
If m = 500 kg (assume pool is 500 litres)
This is 22*4= 88 j
While the kinetic energy due to coriolis is 500*2.5E-9 = 12.5E-7 = 1 micro joule...

I am doing this while in bed so I probsbly got the numbers and formulad wrong but i think the big picture is correct.... Energy of Corioloyis is negligable compared to energy from draining the pool.

The video demonstrated that a body of water as small as a kiddie pool will behave differently depending on which hemisphere it's located in. And the second point is that synced videos is an interesting use of a relatively new medium (online videos).
It is not possible that fluid flow over the kiddy pool influenced the formation of a vortex. Nor is it possible that the water outlet shape, or any burs on it had an effect. Nor is it possible that some other imperfection in this obviously six sigma experiment could have influenced the outcome.

Quick question (I forget): did anyone pick up on whether they did multiple experiments, or was this the first time?

They probably only did one, as their goal was a simple demonstration of a known effect. Feel free to replicate under more controlled conditions...

Back
Top Bottom