• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Top Takeaways from Mid-Midterms

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Man, if you didn't blink yesterday, you would have noticed there may or may not have been elections where you are. The Media is in full post election gore mode and it becomes important to remember the actual takeaways.

1) There were governor elections in two states, not forty-two. A Republican won, by not much in a purple state... after the three top Democrats already in power managed to fuck stuff up one after the other. New Jersey is a bit closer and will require some lookover about how to do deal with 2022 regarding turnout. What about all these other major losses? Minneapolis ballot initiative that was a bit too poorly thought out? The Mayor race for Buffalo? You'd swear it was November 2010 with how these results are being reported on.

2) Democrats over stepped their bounds. Huh? How exactly? Minneapolis is a city, not the Congress in DC. And yes, there are progs in the US House that need to realize a bit more pragmatism (of course, they'll probably double down), but overall, this radical left-wing agenda appears to be missing in action.

3) CRT *dramatic music* It's the new gay marriage ban to get any white folk into the polls. The same people that put over the GOP in '02 and '04 are being scared back into the polls because that CRT stuff (undefined by anyone shitting their pants over it) is indoctrinating kids in school. This needs to be dealt with... and won't because the alt-right always wins the messaging war... a war that is easier won when you lack pride and integrity.

Do we need to panic? That depends. The dumbasses angry at Biden for the economy are in large part the idiots helping to keep the economy tethered to an anchor. And the GOP wants that to help their chances in '22, because they are fucking monsters. But with the vaccines going to children 5 - 11 and the boosters hopefully preventing a repeated Holiday wave, maybe normalcy is just around the corner. If the economy grows in 2022, the GOP will really need to bang those CRT drums louder. The other issue is the "progressives" and the "moderates" in the Democrat Party. If they both manage to fuck this up, then yeah, the Dems deserve to lose... the GOP won't deserve to win, but there are no alternatives. But if an agreement can be had, then that'll put wind into the Dem's sails. And with Afghanistan long gone in the rear view mirror. 2022 can be decent for the Dems... ignoring the gerrymandering and all.

The part about Virginia (in particular) that scares me is that Youngkin won a state that Biden won by 10 points in 2020, essentially by masterfully staying removed enough from Trump to appeal to moderate Republicans ready and willing to "move on" but sending enough coded dog-whistles to MAGA-tards to appeal to hardcore Republicans unready and unwilling to "move on" from Trump. I fear that this will become a much-imitated and closely studied tactic by the Right, who will be eager to replicate these results.

I had hoped the GOP would be more or less forced to "pick a lane" and either double down on Trumpish idiocy or try to forge ahead without him--but Youngkin managed to do both. Or appear to, which is the same thing...

This needs to be dealt with... and won't because the alt-right always wins the messaging war... a war that is easier won when you lack pride and integrity.
Very true. And why I am very pessimistic about the future. How did American democracy survive for 200 years? I guess there were more pride and integrity in the olden days.

Do we need to panic? That depends. The dumbasses angry at Biden for the economy are in large part the idiots helping to keep the economy tethered to an anchor. And the GOP wants that to help their chances in '22, because they are fucking monsters. But with the vaccines going to children 5 - 11 and the boosters hopefully preventing a repeated Holiday wave, maybe normalcy is just around the corner....
Covid-19 remains primarily a problem for the old. The Feds need to ease off and let each state go its own way. Sure red-states will run out of ICU beds and start sending Granny and Grampa to the death camps, but maybe that will lead to useful political ads.

Yeah, the GOP will say Biden owns this pandemic and it's 1,000,000+ death toll in 2022 and 2024.

I'm a bit more concerned about the NJ race being close than losing in VIrginia. Nov. 2022 is a year away and who knows where things will be at that point. Heck, the alt-right might be trying to get infected at that point. Also, the huge thing hanging over 2022 will be Dobbs and its impact on Roe v Wade.

Back
Top Bottom