• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Town hall: Trump fumbles outside of his MAGA bubble

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Trump fumbles during tough encounter with undecided voters in Philadelphia - CNNPolitics
President Donald Trump faced life outside his own political bubble on Tuesday, where his self-congratulation, buck passing and audacious falsehoods conspicuously failed to meet the moment when he was confronted by undecided voters.

Trump appeared at an ABC News town hall in Philadelphia, and peppered a socially distanced audience with the rhetoric and talking points that delight his loyal base. But if his goal was to satisfy relatively small groups of voters who polls show haven't yet made up their mind, the President appeared to fall short and rarely addressed the substance of questions about his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, race relations and health care.

He said he did a "tremendous" job on the virus, insisted "it's going to disappear" and that "a lot of people think masks are not good." Asked who said masks aren't good, Trump replied, "Waiters." He bizarrely said "herd mentality" would make it go away, in an apparent reference to herd immunity that medical experts say could cost several million lives. The President has pounced on Biden's verbal slips as evidence that he lacks the mental capacity to be President. But his own confusing answers after six months supposedly leading the national effort to fight the pandemic failed to inspire confidence that he fully understands the implications of the emergency even now.

He also illogically complained that Biden, who has no power, had not followed through on a national mask mandate and claimed falsely the US response to the crisis was the best in the world. And the President denied any blame for how the pandemic has turned out -- placing the entire responsibility on China, where the virus first emerged, and several times complained he is not getting the credit he deserves.

The town hall event exactly seven weeks before Election Day was a reminder of the kind of chaos, falsehoods and divisiveness that is a selling point for the President's most faithful voters but is the kind of behavior that may prompt an undecided voter to turn away.
The stream of lies and alternative realities that the President promoted recalled a statement attributed to former Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats in Woodward's book "Rage" that was published on Tuesday.

"To him a lie is not a lie. It's just what he thinks. He doesn't know the difference between the truth and a lie," Coats is quoted as saying to former Secretary of Defense James Mattis.

He is implicitly arguing that not only does he not deserve any blame for a response that lags other industrialized nations -- the US has 4% of the world's population and more than 20% of the Covid-19 cases and deaths.

But such a view relies on an interpretation that distorts the traditional sense that the buck stops on the Oval Office desk and instead relies on voters to believe a flagrant act of salesmanship that defies the reality of their own lives.
On Twitter, the word "ambush" was recently trending. Some of Trump's supporters claimed that some of the questioners ambushed him with tough questions.

Trump's ABC News town hall: Full transcript - ABC News

Kyle Griffin on Twitter: "American voters ask Trump questions and Fox calls it an ambush." / Twitter
noting
Acyn Torabi on Twitter: "Fox News is calling the ABC Town Hall an “ambush” https://t.co/dGMtCkxct8" / Twitter

Also
Tea Pain on Twitter: "When Fox News cries “Ambush!”, you know the #TrumpTownHall didn’t go well. https://t.co/JtCiH6n3Fi" / Twitter

‘Ambush’: Fox News panics after Trump faced tough questions at ABC News town hall – Raw Story
The president faced a grilling from one of his 2016 voters, who said Trump threw people with health risks under the bus with his COVID-19 response.

ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos shut down Trump’s attempts to mislead voters about health care with his make-believe plan.

Trump blew off concerns about racial injustice from a Black voter.

When discussing coronavirus herd immunity, he referred to it as “herd mentality.”

And Trump said he had no regrets about his coronavirus response, which has resulted in over 195,000 deaths.
Laura Ingraham said about it that "the DNC may as well have put the whole thing on."

Trump’s town hall panned as ‘nothing but a great reminder to vote for Biden’ – Raw Story
It was an unfamiliar format for Trump, who is rarely questioned by voters, preferred the adulation for his fan club at his MAGA rallies.

Outside of his Fox News bubble, Trump was repeatedly taken to task for the crises facing America. Trump responded defensively, spouting off lie after lie.
Marshall Cohen on Twitter: "We’re 8 minutes into this town hall and Trump has already lied to the audience repeatedly about Covid, about masks, about his praise for China, about the travel ban, about Fauci, about Biden, and more. It’s an avalanche of lies. Period. So much of this is recycled lies." / Twitter
The article displayed a LOT of other tweets that were critical of his appearance there.

‘Herd mentality?’ Watch Maddow rip Trump’s disastrous ABC News town hall meeting – Raw Story
“And you’ll develop — you’ll develop herd — like a herd mentality, it’s going to be,” Trump claimed, when asked why he thought COVID-19 will “disappear.”

“Tt’s going to be herd developed and that’s gonna happen,” he argued. “That will all happen.
To Rachel Maddow, it seemed as if Trump didn't know what he was talking about.
“Herd mentality. Herd mentality? You mean herd immunity, that’s what you’re pursuing for us as a country and you don’t even know what it is and you think it might be the same thing as herd mentality?”

One of my friends recently declared, “Trump does not lie. He may be pompous, but he does not lie.”

It’s herd mentality.

One of my friends recently declared, “Trump does not lie. He may be pompous, but he does not lie.”

It’s herd mentality.

... as in a herd of buffalo being driven over the edge of a cliff by some cavemen waving sticks. Yeah, he actually means herd mentality.

It’s herd mentality.

“It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

“Bullshit is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, [URL="https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/4682"]On Bullshit

[/URL]

A fire hose of Trump lies.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1306068705634287622?s=20[/TWEET]

Even on Fox News, Trump needs Ingraham to save him from himself, such as when he equated shooting a guy 7 times in the back with "choking" at a "golf tournament".

It’s herd mentality.

It's amazing to me how someone can think that way when Trump is such an obvious bullshitter, and he has always been a bullshitter, even when he was just a crazy rich guy who loved to see himself in the news.

It’s herd mentality.

It's amazing to me how someone can think that way when Trump is such an obvious bullshitter, and he has always been a bullshitter, even when he was just a crazy rich guy who loved to see himself in the news.
I'm more impressed that people are impressed when he refers to anything as a "complete disaster" or "the best" plan. His language is so limited when it comes to adjectives.

It’s herd mentality.

I'm more impressed that people are impressed when he refers to anything as a "complete disaster" or "the best" plan. His language is so limited when it comes to adjectives.

Maybe he can expand his range starting by saying his presidency is double plus good.

It’s herd mentality.

In all fairness, he said "I have the best words". So what if he only meant the three best words...

Back
Top Bottom