• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Traditional Games

Honza

Basic Beliefs
Spiritual
Does anyone partake in more traditional games at all? Like perhaps card games, or board games etc. I never took to video/computer games. I've been playing a traditional wargame since the 1970's - it is still going strong. Its called Advanced Squad Leader. A brilliant game if there ever was one. Since I get so involved with this I don't go looking around for other stuff to keep me occupied.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons is another superb game that has been going since the '70s. Who likes to keep their gaming traditional?

If by 'traditional' you mean non computerized yes, I am part of a board game group (which also happens to be an atheist group) and I do play D&D.

By traditional games, I thought you meant skittles, caber toss, Burzkazi, Sumo wrestling, Kabbadi, Baotashi. etc.

A friend of mine and I invented a lawn game similar to Bocci, but with golf balls and more complicated rules.

I am an avid gamer, and in addition to computer/video games, I enjoy pencil and paper RPG as well as board games. I am in two board game/ PnP RPG groups, one which meets (nearly) every week, and another that meets about once a month. One new board game our weekly group has been playing often recently is Ticket to Ride (it is actually 10 years old this year, but new for us). It is a train game, which made me resistant to try it for years, as it did not have guns, monsters, or zombies, but it is very easy to learn, and quite addictive (in a good way).

Other board games we play regularly are Lords of Waterdeep (based on the D&D Forgotten Realms setting, but without any of the traditional D&D RPG trappings), Settlers of Cataan (trading game where the object is to build cities and roads, among other things), and Last Night on Earth (zombie game that is easy to learn initially, but can become rather complicated when played with the various expansions now available).

Does anyone partake in more traditional games at all? Like perhaps card games, or board games etc. I never took to video/computer games. I've been playing a traditional wargame since the 1970's - it is still going strong. Its called Advanced Squad Leader. A brilliant game if there ever was one. Since I get so involved with this I don't go looking around for other stuff to keep me occupied.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons is another superb game that has been going since the '70s. Who likes to keep their gaming traditional?

I love ASL - at least the second edition, which is the only one I've played. the manual for it is basically the equivalent of a master's degree.

I also love Risk, and am an avid and average chess player.

My latest acquisition is Conquest of the Empire

Does anyone partake in more traditional games at all??
Well I did the whole Pokemon Card Games, Yu-Gi-Oh! card games and then later after highschool went into magic the Gathering
I don't really play anymore though since the person i played with moved away

I also do collect Warhammer (40k mostly) but haven't actually gamed in a while

I love ASL - at least the second edition, which is the only one I've played. the manual for it is basically the equivalent of a master's degree.

Do you have anyone that you can play ASL against? I find it difficult to find opponents, so I tend to play solo. There is a vibrant online ASL community at Gamesquad Forums.

Do you have anyone that you can play ASL against? I find it difficult to find opponents, so I tend to play solo. There is a vibrant online ASL community at Gamesquad Forums.

Usually I just end up strong-arming my friends into playing. An acquaintance of mine actually opened up a gaming shop a few years back, and they have open areas where people can play - not that I ever have enough time to get there nowadays.

Does anyone partake in more traditional games at all??
Well I did the whole Pokemon Card Games, Yu-Gi-Oh! card games and then later after highschool went into magic the Gathering
I don't really play anymore though since the person i played with moved away

I also do collect Warhammer (40k mostly) but haven't actually gamed in a while
How the heck do you "play" Yu-Gi-Oh anyway? Those rules read like stereo instructions. My son (10) loves Yu-Gi-Oh but I'll be darned if I can play with him.

How the heck do you "play" Yu-Gi-Oh anyway? Those rules read like stereo instructions. My son (10) loves Yu-Gi-Oh but I'll be darned if I can play with him.
Easy.... I think
It has been a loooong time since I played that game though
And I was never all that good at it myself
Watching the show might help you inderstand the mechanics more:p but the show is notorious for pulling all sorts of BS moves by the characters (And some probably illegal in the actual card game)

I don't compete when I don't have to, so don't play games. Makes it awkward when you're friends with people who only ever get together to play games.

I don't compete when I don't have to, so don't play games. Makes it awkward when you're friends with people who only ever get together to play games.

Competition is not always the point, sometimes it is just to get together with friends and have some fun. There are also a growing number of board games in which the players cooperate against the game itself. Pandemic, and Arkham Horror are a couple of relatively popular cooperative board games.

Competition is not always the point, sometimes it is just to get together with friends and have some fun. There are also a growing number of board games in which the players cooperate against the game itself. Pandemic, and Arkham Horror are a couple of relatively popular cooperative board games.

Yea, I get that, but personally don't like to do a lot of thinking that I don't have to. When I get together with people I'm good with a drink, a meal, conversation, physical activity, etc. Spending two hours trying to come up with words in Scrabble sounds like a chore to me.

After Magic The Gathering came out I was a huge fan of the vampire card game Jyhad. It was completely satanic and goth chicks just flocked to us wanting to play.

Ooooh! Must give it a go. ;)

I failed to mention that the game also includes bags of red beads which signify blood. Truly a treat.

Back
Top Bottom