• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trans Derail From Ilhan Omar vs. Colorism

sometimes there are intrinsic characteristics that are just kinda funny
See, this is the problem. Maybe it is "funny". Maybe it makes those feelings bubble up in you, and it's OK for that to be true.

It's just not OK to actually laugh. Usually.

The thing is, sometimes it IS ok to laugh... but only when people ask you to, or invite you to. See also: Ricky Berwick.

except that no, it isn't. not even a little bit. none of his work is.
if you go back and watch all his specials since 2016 and actually listen to the context and the subtext, it's incredibly clear that:
A. he's a bit taken aback by the cultural zeitgeist of the trans movement in relation to the cultural zeitgeist of racial justice.
B. he's critical of assumptions made by trans supporters, while being supportive of being trans in a general sense.

pointing out that there is absolutely a valid question of to what extent the rest of us are obligated to participate in a trans person's self image is not transphobic... that is an incredible rhetorical point, especially since he asks it without providing any kind of answer.
it is a scathing observation about race in america, not bigotry against trans people, to point out that the monumental gains in the cultural sphere that have been made by the trans community in the last 20 years is very likely in no small part due to the fact that prominent white men are the ones doing it that get the most recognition from the public.

so many websites seem really committed to the idea of pretending that these specials are 'transphobic' (the AVClub is another one that just keeps hammering that dead horse at every possible opportunity) and it's kind of revealing that 'lack of catering' is being so conflated with 'insensitivity'.
nothing chapelle has had in any of these specials slags on trans people in any way, he's just not coddling to their position - i personally think that there's an interesting abstract there, about whether strict militant insistence that whatever trans people say must be accepted as reality is the *only* way to be supportive of trans rights.
I pay little attention to media entertainment, including stand-up comedy. About the only ones I ever watch are Chappelle and Fluffy. I think they're a hoot.

I vaguely remember a Chappelle thing about gays. I laughed a lot. He was hilarious! He told the politically incorrect truth in a very poignant way. Like it or not, it was "the inconvenient truth". I don't know about his trans thing, but I doubt it was different.
Tom

See, this is the problem. Maybe it is "funny". Maybe it makes those feelings bubble up in you, and it's OK for that to be true.

It's just not OK to actually laugh. Usually.

The thing is, sometimes it IS ok to laugh... but only when people ask you to, or invite you to. See also: Ricky Berwick.
well that's going to just be a foundational disagreement on a philosophical point, because i don't think there is ever a time when it's not OK to laugh at *anything*.

A student who attended Dave Chappelle's recent appearance at the comedian's former high school said it was a "grotesque" display of "ego and narcissism."

Multiple media outlets reported that Chappelle made a surprise visit to his alma mater — the Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, DC — on Tuesday to speak with students before Thanksgiving. The school had initially postponed plans for the comedian to appear at a school fundraiser after students threatened to organize a walkout over comments Chappelle made about trans people in his recent Netflix comedy special "The Closer."
"Two transgender people were in line, and one transgender person was trying to explain. And Dave Chappelle kept talking over him and blatantly disrespecting the fact that he was talking, and trying to make a joke out of the situation," Andrew told Insider.

"And then the second transgender person tried to explain to Dave Chappelle what misgendering was, and Dave Chappelle interrupted her and completely ignored that," he added. "And then moved on to the next person."
Andrew added that at the end of the evening, Chappelle proceeded to tell the students: "I am better at what I do than all of you in this room combined."

He added: "It was just a grotesque display of ego and narcissism."

Andrew later said that throughout the event, Chappelle — who appeared onstage with film cameras for a documentary — was reluctant to engage with the concerns of the students but continually told the audience that they "can't silence" him.

"He kept on saying, 'You can't silence me. How dare you try to silence me.' Not one person in that room was trying to silence him at all," Andrew said.

"One girl raised her hand and said, 'I understand what you're saying, and I respect your art, but you don't understand how many transgender people die every day,'" he said. Andrew added that Chappelle then interrupted the girl and said people die every day, using the N-word instead of "people."
'Don't silence me' he said with a microphone from a stage at a required assembly.

Back
Top Bottom