• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Chaos Trades - Who's Making Money?

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/10/the-mystery-of-the-trump-chaos-trades

Someone, some group of people more likely, just made over $2 billion in exchanging trades known as S&P e-minis, or shares tied to the S&P 500, but traded on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. The trades were made just before certain tweets by tRump or other important market moving announcements and in one case before the drone strike in SA.

No one knows if it’s one person or several different, or whether there's a connection to Trump administration, or the Iranians or Russians. But the trades are definitely not right.

I wonder if it is Russian organized crime with connections to Putin and Iran. Putin May be the only one with foreknowledge of all the events. Just a speculation. Doubt if it is FFvC himself, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his Russian handlers were fed some information beforehand.

Hopefully regulatory agencies will investigate.

SLD

Traders in the Chicago pits have been watching these kinds of wagers with an increasing mixture of shock and awe since the start of the Trump presidency. They are used to rapid fluctuations in the S&P 500 index; volatility is common, of course. But the precision and timing of these trades, and the vast amount of money being made as a result of them, make the traders wonder if all this is on the level. Are the people behind these trades incredibly lucky, or do they have access to information that other people don’t have about, say, Trump’s or Beijing’s latest thinking on the trade war or any other of a number of ways that Trump is able to move the markets through his tweeting or slips of the tongue? Essentially, do they have inside information?

Very interesting indeed.

Someone, some group of people more likely, just made over $2 billion in exchanging trades known as S&P e-minis, or shares tied to the S&P 500, but traded on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. The trades were made just before certain tweets by tRump or other important market moving announcements and in one case before the drone strike in SA.

No one knows if it’s one person or several different, or whether there's a connection to Trump administration, or the Iranians or Russians. But the trades are definitely not right.

I wonder if it is Russian organized crime with connections to Putin and Iran. Putin May be the only one with foreknowledge of all the events. Just a speculation. Doubt if it is FFvC himself, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his Russian handlers were fed some information beforehand.

SLD
I have definitely pondered if people have insider traded on Trump's tariff announcements.

SLD
I have definitely pondered if people have insider traded on Trump's tariff announcements.

The more I think about it, it has to be Russians. Russians could effectively flee US jurisdiction if there’s an investigation. It’s way too risky for US nationals to do. It’s bound to cause scrutiny, and tRump won’t be president forever. But if FFvC himself is involved than this is a much bigger scandal than the present Ukraine scandal. Even if it’s not him, but someone close to him (Don, jr?) it could still derail his re-election.

SLD

SLD

The more I think about it, it has to be Russians. Russians could effectively flee US jurisdiction if there’s an investigation. It’s way too risky for US nationals to do. It’s bound to cause scrutiny, and tRump won’t be president forever. But if FFvC himself is involved than this is a much bigger scandal than the present Ukraine scandal. Even if it’s not him, but someone close to him (Don, jr?) it could still derail his re-election.

SLD
Insider trading is much more common than people realize I think.
We know lots of people listen to the calls and they all have friends.
It could be russians, turkish and americans.

Vanity Fair appears to have misunderstood things (in particular the number of contracts cited seems to have been aggregate volume for the period in question rather than a single trade).

See https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-10-18/half-a-share-of-stock-is-better-than-nothing and search on "Hanky-panky (2)"

I see, there were no statistically significant increase in amount of trading before the event. The story has no basis in reality. Kinda like Alfa Bank noStory.

SLD

Yeah, WHATABOUT that??
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Same response every time evidence of Putin's hand in the American cookie jar comes under discussion here.
whatabout whatabout whatabout

Weaksauce, barbie.

SLD

Yeah, WHATABOUT that??

Same response every time evidence of Putin's hand in the American cookie jar comes under discussion here.

Weaksauce, barbie.

Connie, so americans have never ever engaged in insider trading? is that what are you trying to say here?

Yeah, WHATABOUT that??

Weaksauce, barbie.

Connie, so americans have never ever engaged in insider trading? is that what are you trying to say here?

Yeah of course they have!
WHATABOUT that???!!!

No matter how you try to spin it, all you have is WHATABOUTism. You can't actually mount an argument against the facts posed, you can only try to change the subject.
WHATABOUT that????!!!

I think what Barbos is saying (this time) is that it is true that insider trading is prevalent, and therefore it is not at all surprising that people are profiting on inside knowledge of the otherwise random / unpredictable actions Trump takes that moves markets one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom