• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump is above the law

If we actually had rule of law applied equally without prejudice, Jan 6 could actually be a court trial and without the political appearance it now has. And it would not matter in the least what anyone thought about Donald Trump.

I think that you're dead wrong about that. Without the Jan 6 committee, the DoJ would never investigate thoroughly enough to do that. The administration simply doesn't want the headache and distraction of prosecuting a former president, no matter how much he deserved it. What the committee has done has been to put enormous pressure of Garland to bring charges against Trump anyway, because the appearance of doing nothing is beginning to look more embarrassing than doing nothing. That's why the DoJ seems surprised and upset at all the public testimony and is demanding all of the committees tapes and transcripts of testimony from witnesses that it hadn't questioned seriously.

If we actually had rule of law applied equally without prejudice, Jan 6 could actually be a court trial and without the political appearance it now has. And it would not matter in the least what anyone thought about Donald Trump.

I think that you're dead wrong about that. Without the Jan 6 committee, the DoJ would never investigate thoroughly enough to do that. The administration simply doesn't want the headache and distraction of prosecuting a former president, no matter how much he deserved it. What the committee has done has been to put enormous pressure of Garland to bring charges against Trump anyway, because the appearance of doing nothing is beginning to look more embarrassing than doing nothing. That's why the DoJ seems surprised and upset at all the public testimony and is demanding all of the committees tapes and transcripts of testimony from witnesses that it hadn't questioned seriously.
It was clear as day what happened on January 6th and it was damning against Trump. As details and information has come out, it has become significantly more damning than it was then and on a wider group of people.

RVonse is a 9/11 CT-agnostic... which seems odd when an actual conspiracy has been exposed and he suggests the investigation was political.

It was clear as day what happened on January 6th and it was damning against Trump. As details and information has come out, it has become significantly more damning than it was then and on a wider group of people.

RVonse is a 9/11 CT-agnostic... which seems odd when an actual conspiracy has been exposed and he suggests the investigation was political.

It is trivially true that everything Congress does is political. It is certainly true that Republican legislators are no strangers to persecuting members of the opposition party with politically charged investigations. Ironically, Hillary Clinton wiped the floor with them when they had her before them and under oath to answer truthfully. They've done nothing but shield Trump from being put under oath for a Congressional investigation. They acquitted him twice of impeachment charges, even with a few of them admitting that the charges had merit.

Congress is not normally a prosecutorial body, but it certainly makes sense for them to investigate an alleged conspiracy to overturn an election with the help of a violent mob attacking Congress while it is trying to carry out its constitutional duty. OTOH, one has to wonder why Republicans are now promising to spend public resources to pursue an investigation of the president's son, Hunter Biden, who may have committed crimes to feed a drug habit. That is something that really ought to be done by the DoJ, not Congress, unless there is some reason to think that President Biden himself abused his office in connection with his son's activities. If they think that that is the case, then why didn't they support an investigation of a former president who is suspected of trying to actually overthrow an incoming legally elected president?

The DOJ had Marc Short, Pence's former Chief of Staff, testify before a Grand Jury last Friday. I'd say their investigation is getting closer to Trump.

The DOJ had Marc Short, Pence's former Chief of Staff, testify before a Grand Jury last Friday. I'd say their investigation is getting closer to Trump.

That assumes Short said anything in that "testimony" other than, "I plead the Fifth, I plead the Fifth, I plead..."

I'm not ready to make that asshat a hero just yet, nor am I inclined to believe he's incentivized to really give up the goods on Trump.
I don't think you could stand to serve as Mike Pence's Chief of Staff unless you were a pretty committed Right-wing wacko yourself.

That assumes Short said anything in that "testimony" other than, "I plead the Fifth, I plead the Fifth, I plead..."

I'm not ready to make that asshat a hero just yet, nor am I inclined to believe he's incentivized to really give up the goods on Trump.
I don't think you could stand to serve as Mike Pence's Chief of Staff unless you were a pretty committed Right-wing wacko yourself.

I agree. Any direct dissing of Trump is problematic for Mikey. It reflects on him of course, but worse (or better from where I sit) would be the public spectacle of those two jackasses destroying each other.

Personally, these people were no where to be found during the impeachment trial. They can all go in the meat grinder!

Fuck, dude, where do you get such ridiculous equivocations?
Your boy LOST. In a landslide. Get over it.
Then he tried to subvert democracy to stay in power.
FACE UP TO IT.
How about "rule of law" that stays the same for everyone regardless of position or party affiliation?
I am 100% on board with equal treatment for you, me or Trump if any of us tries to subvert democracy to stay in power.
So "No" you won't face up to it.
Maybe you could visualize what would happen to you or me if we launched an armed assault on the Capitol. It might help you understand what the rule of law staying "the same for everyone" would look like.

Fuck, dude, where do you get such ridiculous equivocations?
Your boy LOST. In a landslide. Get over it.
Then he tried to subvert democracy to stay in power.
FACE UP TO IT.
How about "rule of law" that stays the same for everyone regardless of position or party affiliation?
I am 100% on board with equal treatment for you, me or Trump if any of us tries to subvert democracy to stay in power.
So "No" you won't face up to it.
Maybe you could visualize what would happen to you or me if we launched an armed assault on the Capitol. It might help you understand what the rule of law staying "the same for everyone" would look like.

Republicans are only for "equal treatment" when their own people commit crimes. They forget all of those "Lock her up!" chants, some of which were led by pardoned convict Michael Flynn, who had been Trump's first pick for National Security Adviser. First they got convicted, then they got pardoned. That's their concept of holding people accountable under the "rule of law". After all, pardons are legal.

Here Are Some of the People Trump Pardoned

We used to get Muslim posters here from time to time who posted screeds explaining how stupid Christianity is. They seemed to think it was a good way to get atheists to convert.
Like who? What did they say? Any good search terms for the old IIDB?

Isnt Dennis Hastert the highest level federal officer to go to prison for anything?

Depending on what the FBI retrieved he may not be the highest one for long.

Edit: This wouldn't be the case if Trump didn't turn his fantasies about Hilliary into law.

A post POTUS will not ever be sent to trial or convicted. Does not even matter which party he is from or whether or not he was or is actually guilty of anything.
That is probably true. But I still have hope that DOJ will at least make that attempt with Trump.

And if you do not believe what I have just said consider this. Trump absolutely hated Obama and could have made his post presidency very very uncomfortable:
The President has little or no say over whom law enforcement agencies choose to prosecute.

His father was corrupt. NYC real estate has always been corrupted by politicians and organized crime.

Trump is a criminal plain and simple.

He was never a good businessman, but until now his main talent was alwats escaping with some money when things went bad and leaving others to take the blame.

His buddy from his company pleaded guilty to fraud and tax evasion and agreed to testfy. It is not a federal court and Trump will likely end up as a witness. A republican congress or president can not help him.

Back
Top Bottom