• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump vs. New York State

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Freeze on Global Entry Enrollment for New Yorkers: What We Know - The New York Times
The Department of Homeland Security said Wednesday that it would temporarily block New Yorkers from enrolling in the Trusted Traveler Programs, including Global Entry, which allow prescreened travelers to bypass lengthy lines at airports and border crossings.

The change, which takes immediate effect, was made in response to New York’s so-called Green Light Law, federal officials said. As part of that measure, which allows undocumented residents to obtain driver’s licenses, immigration officials were barred from gaining access to the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles databases without a court order.

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "I’m seeing Governor Cuomo today at The White House. He must understand that National Security far exceeds politics. New York must stop all of its unnecessary lawsuits & harrassment, start cleaning itself up, and lowering taxes. Build relationships, but don’t bring Fredo!" / Twitter

What a big baby.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Trump is publicly admitting that he is holding Global Entry for New Yorkers hostage in exchange for dropping lawsuits against him and his family’s lawbreaking behavior.
This is corrupt, illegal, and authoritarian.
Hope Collins and Murkowski are proud of their vote. https://t.co/I49Ksj7VAm" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "🎤⬇️ https://t.co/TCQclnQWxb" / Twitter
noting
NY AG James on Twitter: "When you stop violating the rights and liberties of all New Yorkers, we will stand down.
Until then, we have a duty and responsibility to defend the Constitution and the rule of law.
BTW, I file the lawsuits, not the Governor. https://t.co/tsOLeEgiQp" / Twitter

Green Light Law is an idiotic law. Illegal aliens should not be aided and abetted in their illegal migration by state governments.
Same goes for sanctuary policies. When an illegal is arrested in New York, they get released instead of being transferred to ICE custody for deportation.

He's a New Yorker, and he thinks petty threats will cause New Yorkers to crumple?
It isn’t a threat, it is a serious nuisance. And much like every other illegal thing this asshole does, it’d take forever to get through the courts, but I think this should get an injunction.

It isn’t a threat, it is a serious nuisance. And much like every other illegal thing this asshole does, it’d take forever to get through the courts, but I think this should get an injunction.

Why do you think it is illegal to not honor documents that are given to illegals?
What SHOULD be illegal is for states and cities to aid and abet illegal migration.

Why do you think it is illegal to not honor documents that are given to illegals?
What SHOULD be illegal is for states and cities to aid and abet illegal migration.
Since it is not illegal, and since Mr Trump linked this action to NY policies that have nothing to do with immigration, what do you think of the Trump adm’s action ?

Since it is not illegal, and since Mr Trump linked this action to NY policies that have nothing to do with immigration, what do you think of the Trump adm’s action ?
I may be missing something, but the idea from the OP is that "Trusted Traveler Program" is suspended to New Yorkers because their id is not secure because Albany gives NY id to all and sundry. So if I understand correctly, there IS a connection to NY immigration policy and the Trump administration policy is not arbitrary or punitive but is related to lax security of the identification document.

Ye, you are missing something. A lot.

Trusted Traveler is not a state program. It’s a federal one. You get your documents at a federal agency and you get interviewed by a federal agency and you present your documents to federal agents.

Your license doesn’t help you get the documents and you can’t use a license to demonstrate your approval for trusted traveler.

License /= Trusted traveler doc.

I may be missing something, but the idea from the OP is that "Trusted Traveler Program" is suspended to New Yorkers because their id is not secure because Albany gives NY id to all and sundry. So if I understand correctly, there IS a connection to NY immigration policy and the Trump administration policy is not arbitrary or punitive but is related to lax security of the identification document.
Besides Rhea’s explanation, Mr Trump linked this to NY non-immigrant policies as well.

Besides Rhea’s explanation, Mr Trump linked this to NY non-immigrant policies as well.
Right, tweetin'Trump is offering to facilitate something that Derec now thinks is so unwise and just plan wrong, if New York State drops certain investigations that have nothing to do with immigration. The original federal stance before Trump began to bargain in public made a certain amount of logical sense; but now These Thumbs are MADE for Tweeting dude has made it clear that the federal stance was not really principled but a personal move.

These Thumbs are MADE for Tweeting dude has made it clear that the federal stance was not really principled but a personal move.
or, even if it was principled at the start, those principles are less than and subject to the whims and needs of Corruption One.

He paid off one Florida lawsuit by a donation to one campaign. Clearly he thinks it's more efficient to buy off ALL New York's lawsuits with one govt. policy....

Ocasio-Cortez blasts Trump as 'corrupt' for blocking Global Entry for New Yorkers | TheHill
In her tweet, Ocasio-Cortez pointed to Republican Sens. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Susan Collins (Maine), two moderates who voted to acquit president Trump on impeachment charges last week.

“Hope Collins and Murkowski are proud of their vote,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted.

Walter Shaub, the former director of the Office of Government Ethics, praised Ocasio-Cortez for her comments.

“First member of Congress to speak out. Where are the others? Where is the media? This is Ukraine all over again,” he tweeted.
Walter Shaub on Twitter: "THANK YOU!!!! First member of Congress to speak out. Where are the others? Where is the media? This is Ukraine all over again. https://t.co/gWbDXF6JO2" / Twitter

Trusted Traveler is not a state program. It’s a federal one.
I understand. But giving official state id to illegals makes it easier for illegals to fraudulently apply for these federal programs.

I don't know what form of IDs are used in New York. Here in Michigan, we have two forms of ID. The standard ID/Driver's license or the Enhanced ID/DL. To get the Enhanced versions, you must prove citizenship and is required to travel to, and more importantly, back from Canada without a passport. Does New York have a similar ID system?

Just took a quick look and, yes, New York also uses the same system. So illegal aliens will not be getting the enhanced DL so they will not be able to use the standard DL to fraudulently apply for federal programs.

BTW, anyone in the US who wants to fly commercial will need an enhanced ID/DL after this coming October.

Green Light Law is an idiotic law. Illegal aliens should not be aided and abetted in their illegal migration by state governments.
Same goes for sanctuary policies. When an illegal is arrested in New York, they get released instead of being transferred to ICE custody for deportation.

Reality: States benefit from sanctuary policies.

1) By issuing licenses to illegals you cut the uninsured rate. If one hits you you're less likely to be out of pocket.

2) When they can't go to the police when they are crime victims you get the same thing you get in the criminal underworld--retaliation.

Wrong. The feds would have no problem screening out those who are here illegally. And note that the states are not giving RealIDs to illegals, just ordinary driver's licenses.

The only possibly legitimate case I can see for it is if they are checking for driving without insurance--that might only be in the DMV databases and not make it into criminal databases. Anything else that would be disqualifying would show up in the criminal databases and the feds have access to those.

Given this administration's track record they should either indicate exactly what they're after and not getting, or else it should be assumed this is retaliation.

Trusted Traveler is not a state program. It’s a federal one.
I understand. But giving official state id to illegals makes it easier for illegals to fraudulently apply for these federal programs.

Learn a little something about what you're arguing about.

This is about Global Entry--which is for crossing the US border with in general less scrutiny. (If you have nothing to declare you can usually do it without talking to anybody.) Border crossings = passport. Show up with a Mexican passport and no visa to the US and you're not getting it. Nothing New York does will change that.

I don't know what form of IDs are used in New York. Here in Michigan, we have two forms of ID. The standard ID/Driver's license or the Enhanced ID/DL. To get the Enhanced versions, you must prove citizenship and is required to travel to, and more importantly, back from Canada without a passport. Does New York have a similar ID system?

Just took a quick look and, yes, New York also uses the same system. So illegal aliens will not be getting the enhanced DL so they will not be able to use the standard DL to fraudulently apply for federal programs.

BTW, anyone in the US who wants to fly commercial will need an enhanced ID/DL after this coming October.

Or a passport. Or a passport card.

Back
Top Bottom