• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump wants to start charging stores to accept food stamps

Are you saying it is not a bank card so shows a person is not on welfare. My point, where in this area I know almost nothing is does the shopkeeper know he is dealing with food stamps.

In the UK no one can tell which shopper is on welfare and who is not. This I think is a better system.

We know it is snap and must exempt sales tax.We are told to never announce it as snap and never belittle the customer.

My last question (I think) is can the retailer tell if the customer is on welfare when paying?

Are you saying it is not a bank card so shows a person is not on welfare.
What he is saying is that most SNAP recipients do not have a bank account. I do not think that's actually true. But one big reason why you want to use a separate card for SNAP is that, it being a food benefit, there are many restrictions on what can be purchased. SNAP is not a cash benefit.

In the UK no one can tell which shopper is on welfare and who is not. This I think is a better system.
In the US there are many forms of assistance. Technically when people say "welfare" they mean the TANF program (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). Like SNAP, TANF payments are transferred to the EBT account. If you use an EBT card, one can tell you are using benefits.

Often ignored in these discussions are refundable tax credits (specifically EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit) and the child tax credit). Those are tax credits that get applied even when their amount exceeds federal taxes owed and even if the person has zero federal income tax liability. That results in negative federal income taxes in the amount of thousands of dollars in many cases. In that case the difference (or entire amount of credits) is sent to people as a check or direct deposited to their bank account. That money is just regular money, and the shopkeeper would have no idea where it came from.

If they are using an EBT card, yes. As can the customer in the line behind them.

I am not too familiar with the system of welfare in the USA.
In the UK it is simple. Those who qualify for 'benefits' (welfare) receive money in their bank accounts. No one in the shops or streets will know unless that person tells them.

Not here in the U.S. The main types of assistance is SNAP (food assistance) TANF (Cash assistance) and Medicaid (medical for the poor). You are issued a benefit card for both SNAP & TANF if you get one, the other, or both. At the register you pick which payment method you're using when you use the card. The card used to be garish and ugly and advertise you were on welfare. Now, it looks better, although if you're aware of what it looks like then you'll know who's using it. Also, if you have non food items (toilet tissue, maxi-pads, paper towels, etc. the register will take your SNAP benefits off the total first, then you pay cash for the rest.

I am not too familiar with the system of welfare in the USA.
In the UK it is simple. Those who qualify for 'benefits' (welfare) receive money in their bank accounts. No one in the shops or streets will know unless that person tells them.

Not here in the U.S. The main types of assistance is SNAP (food assistance) TANF (Cash assistance) and Medicaid (medical for the poor). You are issued a benefit card for both SNAP & TANF if you get one, the other, or both. At the register you pick which payment method you're using when you use the card. The card used to be garish and ugly and advertise you were on welfare. Now, it looks better, although if you're aware of what it looks like then you'll know who's using it. Also, if you have non food items (toilet tissue, maxi-pads, paper towels, etc. the register will take your SNAP benefits off the total first, then you pay cash for the rest.

Many thanks.

I think the US system is a little complex.

Here in the UK you can't tell if a person is on welfare because payments are paid into a normal bank account and can be drawn as cash or a debit card can be used. So you can't tell a poor person from a rich person. The only problem is the UK system can be slow until the payment account is set up. Then it is easy so state pensioners, those on disability and on unemployment retain their dignity so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom