• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

TRUMP WILL DROP OUT OF THE RACE

cornbread_r2

Basic Beliefs
What ever pisses off the RCC the most
I'm predicting that Trump will drop out of the race.

Trump never really wanted to be president. He entered the race on a lark and got sucked into the process. He loved the ego-building adulation he received, especially as it came with minimal effort on his part. While he does a good job of pretending that he doesn't what people think of him, no one wants to be continually held up by respected members of both parties as being a Palin-proportioned ignoramus. To prevent that comparison, he's got a lot of learning to do -- much more than he has patience for that wonky stuff. He's going to hate having to talk about that stuff even more than learning about it when it's so much more easy and fun to just shoot from the hip. He doesn't owe anything to the Republican party and could craft any number of plausible excuses for walking away from the whole mess without even doing irreparable harm to his brand.

It's possible. While his ego is too big for him to quit, it's also too big for him to lose as badly as it looks he will. If his numbers don't improve, he might find a reason to step down that's the fault of everyone except him.

I don't know why the American Right wastes all that money on building up personal arsenals and all that wind on talking about Freedom while allowing a strutting fascist to bully his way to the White House. Where are the red blooded American boys of yore?

Trump: "The Republican establishment doubted me from the beginning. It bad-mouthed me all through the nominating process and even openly conspired to rob me of the nomination. Now that I've won the nomination, it won't support me in any meaningful way. Fine -- have it your way -- I'll be over here waiting for the establishment to come to its senses." *boards private jet and takes off into the sunset*

That would be the best thing to happen for the Republicans, but we can't be that hopeful. It would cut Trump out of many of the upcoming speaking fees he can get.

I wonder how Trump's candidacy will affect the political landscape over the next 4-8 years. What happens if he wins, and is perceived as a successful president? What happens if the election is fairly close but the states that are red vs blue don't look similar to recent maps? Say the Dems pick up some combination of AZ, GA, MO, and 1 of NE's districts, while losing some combination of MI, WI, PA and one of ME's districts?

There's no way in hell he drops out. He already has his fail-blame, which is the GOP. So at this point, whether the bastard wins or loses, it's all the same to him.* And the aggressively ignorant who follow him will blame the GOP too, rather than reflect on why Trump really lost. And then any Republican who wants to take a shot at the GOP can do so by making reference to it not supporting a POTUS candidate. This will result in the GOP fooling itself into another round of shitty candidates in 2020 that they'll vow to support. Then, unless something dramatic has happened, they'll lose again. And should that occur, you're looking at Hillary appointing as many as three, maybe even four SCOTUS justices. The next 30+ years would be dominated by a left leaning SCOTUS.

Trump may very well turn out to be the best frenemy American liberals have ever had.

*I think if there was really a way to know, I'd bet he prefers to lose.

Trump never really wanted to be president. He entered the race on a lark and got sucked into the process. He loved the ego-building adulation he received, especially as it came with minimal effort on his part. While he does a good job of pretending that he doesn't what people think of him, no one wants to be continually held up by respected members of both parties as being a Palin-proportioned ignoramus. To prevent that comparison, he's got a lot of learning to do -- much more than he has patience for that wonky stuff. He's going to hate having to talk about that stuff even more than learning about it when it's so much more easy and fun to just shoot from the hip. He doesn't owe anything to the Republican party and could craft any number of plausible excuses for walking away from the whole mess without even doing irreparable harm to his brand.

Why would he spend millions of his own money if he doesn't really want to be President anyway. Is there any hard evidence of this?

Why would he spend millions of his own money if he doesn't really want to be President anyway. Is there any hard evidence of this?

It's no secret that in order for the Republicans to win they need to do much better with minorities and women. Of all the Republican candidates, he alone has not only not courted those constituencies, but seems to have been going out of his way to further alienate them. If he wants to win, that's an odd way of going about it. In addition, this whole business of him self-funding his campaign is apparently something of a sham in that whatever money of his that has been put in is in the form of a loan that is reimbursable from some other source in the future.

There's another possibility that: 1) would satisfy Trump's ego, 2) free him from the strictures of playing ball with the RNC, 3) would not be too intellectually or personally demanding and 4) would allow him to escape being labeled as a "quitter". That would be to renounce the Republican nomination and continue to run as an independent on a write-in ticket. Though that's a smaller stage, but it's also one with less scrutiny and accountability. I think he'd be quite content to ride the free air time -- taking potshots at everyone -- all the way to November.

I think Trump bowing out was a real possibility as long as there was real doubt about his capturing the nomination. Unless he has some sudden serious health issue or accident of assassination, if he quits now, he is toast in politics and a laughingstock. It would do irreparable damage to his "brand".

I wonder how Trump's candidacy will affect the political landscape over the next 4-8 years. What happens if he wins, and is perceived as a successful president?

No idea, but I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the lapdance I get from Beyonce immediately afterwards :rolleyes:

Everything turns on whether we take the Republican twitter campaign into the general election cycle. If we treat all politics as personal then why the fuck have a nation. If you want a friend who agrees with you in the WH then, indeed, keep up the twitter campaign. If instead you want things to get better then suck up your surface hurts and get about electing someone who will actually address core issues facing our nation.

Elect friend who agrees you got wronged or elect leader who has the training and instincts to make your life better.

Simple.

I wonder how Trump's candidacy will affect the political landscape over the next 4-8 years. What happens if he wins, and is perceived as a successful president?

No idea, but I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the lapdance I get from Beyonce immediately afterwards :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Trump's chances of winning; I think he speaks effectively to some of the uglier parts of human nature. I think that's why he's outperformed what was initially expected of him. I don't think his followers will define success in the same way that we might define it. That's why I said perceived as successful, rather than actually is successful.

I think that some, though I'm not sure how much, of the Trump vote is a middle finger vote. If Trump "sticks it to" the people that his supporters don't like, they may see that as a form of success, good of the country be damned.

I think Trump bowing out was a real possibility as long as there was real doubt about his capturing the nomination. Unless he has some sudden serious health issue or accident of assassination, if he quits now, he is toast in politics and a laughingstock. It would do irreparable damage to his "brand".

I think he's a laughingstock now among career politicians and that's just the way he and his "fans" like it.

I think he's a laughingstock now among career politicians and that's just the way he and his "fans" like it.
I think a fair number of his supporters would be more than just disappointed if their anointed fighter quit on them.

Back
Top Bottom