• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump's illegal order to clear out Lafayette Square

Axulus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Right leaning skeptic
Sorry if this has been discussed in some of the other various threads, but I felt like it deserved its own topic:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56j06plUgs[/youtube]

How can these illegal orders and actions have no consequences? Why can't Washington DC DA issue arrest warrants for all those involved in these illegal actions and issuing illegal orders? I'd like to see DC cops make some arrests here.

Why isn't Australia utilizing their full diplomatic resources to get those cops who illegally assaulted their citizens arrested and prosecuted (just as one example).

Where the fuck are the law and order people calling for all those responsible for these illegal actions to be arrested?

Was it illegal? I don't know, but he gets away with everything he does because ultimately the GOP won't do anything.

Does anybody know if that assault on their media is making news in Australia?

It has to be a first amendment violation, at the very least. People in a public park exercising their right to speak and committing no crime, are driven out violently. No possible public safety exception would hold.

Beyond that, it has to violate some excessive use of force laws, I would think.

Why isn't Australia utilizing their full diplomatic resources to get those cops who illegally assaulted their citizens arrested and prosecuted (just as one example).

Australian politicians, and this current government in particular, will do fuck all to protect or support Australian citizens in the US. Back in the Bush era, the Howard government refused to lift a fucking finger with regards to two Australian citizens being held in Guantanamo Bay, one of whom was captured by Pakistan, tortured by Egyptians and later released without any charges whatsoever. Even the Mohamed Noor incident, which involved a Muslim killing an Australian white woman only got token lip service from the Federal Government; Derec was more outraged than the Federal Government. The same political party that was in charge during the Bush years is currently in charge now, and it's being led by a Christian fundamentalist who loves coal. Any Australian who gets injured by US cops in this current climate is on their fucking own.

On a personal note, in 2014, I saw my 60 something neighbour chain smoking out the front of his place clearly distressed. He just received word that his then 24 year old son was shot in the leg in a drug bust gone wrong in Arizona. It was a little bit below the knee and he need to get pins and a rod installed. The cops even went to the wrong fucking apartment; it actually played out like a shitty episode of The Wire. When the family asked for support from the embassy, they were basically told it's not their problem and they should talk to the mayor's office of the city it was in (I think it was Phoenix but I can't be certain). No apology was given from the Police Department and the Mayor's office's response was, "Well, your insurance covers the damages, why are you bothering us?" When I heard all this, I thought the neighbour's son was bullshitting until I saw the scar, the X-rays and his copy of the Police report which was sanitised to say the least. I spent two days looking via the internet for any mention of this in local newspapers, but apparently police shootings in failed drug bust that injure a foreign citizen just isn't fucking newsworthy in Arizona. I don't know anything about the state so I don't even know if this is typical for Arizona or not.

All I know is that if you are in trouble in the US, you have a better chance of getting meaningful support from the hare krishnas then you do from the Australian Federal Government.

Unless the court has addressed this particular issue in the past and has determined it to be illegal, the courts may not address it now.
It’s the “established law” requirement to argue law enforcement is not protected by “qualified immunity”. The Supreme Court has said precedent is not enough. It must be clearly established in law. It has been called a catch 22. You can’t argue what hasn’t been clearly established in law and you can’t clearly establish in law what the courts won’t allow you to argue.

Thanks, that first link gave me more info on attacks on media than I've seen in US media.

It has to be a first amendment violation, at the very least. People in a public park exercising their right to speak and committing no crime, are driven out violently. No possible public safety exception would hold.

Beyond that, it has to violate some excessive use of force laws, I would think.
You might have missed the impeachment thing where Trump was caught trying to shake down the Ukrainian President for an announcement of an investigation into Biden in exchange for Congressionally approved military support. The GOP mostly mocked that what he did was even wrong... or even what was alleged!

The GOP isn't stepping in Trump's way. For anything. What happened at Lafayette Square was reprehensible, possibly even censurable. But good luck getting any documents or testimony from them about it.

Are the police and other "right wing" powers that be NOT preventing/stopping looting and arson SPECIFICALLY because it gives a somewhat reasonable surface level rationale to clear out ALL protests, especially in retail areas?

Not to mention discredits some protests.

I was in downtown Seattle this Saturday night and I saw people looting the Men's Wearhouse and one block away from a group of riot police. I told the police and they did NOT GIVE A FUCK! No radios to other police on the beat.

This is passive aggressive punishment perhaps.

Are the police and other "right wing" powers that be NOT preventing/stopping looting and arson SPECIFICALLY because it gives a somewhat reasonable surface level rationale to clear out ALL protests, especially in retail areas?

I was in downtown Seattle this Saturday night and I saw people looting the Men's Wearhouse and one block away from a group of riot police. I told the police and they did NOT GIVE A FUCK! No radios to other police on the beat.

If you were black and reported it you would have been handcuffed or worse.

"I guarantee it"

If you were black and reported it you would have been handcuffed or worse.

"I guarantee it"

Ha, actually it was blacks looting and there was a black lady taking photos the line of riot cops from the ground to make them look more imposing.

She said to me as I relayed this time sensitive info "this is not what this is about."

Cops and activists can suck a dick,

Back
Top Bottom