• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump's "Lynching" comment has America in a fierce debate

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
WASHINGTON DC -- President Donald Trump equated the impeachment inquiry to a "lynching" over the weekend. The inflammatory remark got many upset and has led to a fierce debate. Is a lynching worse than a witch hunt.

Bob McConnell, a historian at Boston University has concentrated his historical study on early New England colonial history, including the Salem Witch Trials. "Please keep in mind, this is not trying to minimize the abhorrent crime of lynching. I feel that the term "witch hunt" carries a worse connotation," noted the historian. "Twenty people were murdered by the courts due to the most outlandish of accusations, of being something that didn't even exist, a witch."

"It must be understood that many of these accusations were either personal or political. Some people made these accusations in order to gain property. In other words, they used the courts to commit murders so they would benefit."

Others, such as John Hughes at Howard University disagree. "While I don't want to call it laughable, the idea that the murders of 20 people in some way is worse than the lynchings of thousands of blacks merely because they are black is just ridiculous. While court sanction murders in the late 17th century are indeed an awful thing, it isn't as if the law wasn't 'looking the other way' with the senseless and violent murders of blacks in America. The Tulsa race riots stand alone in overshadowing the repugnance of Salem.

"Of course, all children know about Salem. How many were taught about what transpired in Tulsa. That, in its own right, could be a reason why we are even having this conversation."

Some arguments across the nation have gotten heated, and fights have reportedly broken out in many work offices. Many people have exhibited strong opinions regarding which term is more loaded. A term that represents a court sanctioned murder of people for being something that didn't exist or a term representing a white power mob mentality where being black was provocation enough to justify murder.

A solution is possible, noted Geoffrey Pulis, a historian at Georgetown University. "This is merely semantics. Calling a legitimate investigation a 'witch hunt' or a 'lynching' is unarguably an nonintellectual argument. It attempts to adopt the premeditated horrors of witch hunts and lynchings and vilify the President's investigators, much like how a rapist attacks their victim. To imagine a sitting US President making such an argument would have been unthinkable five years ago. Today it seems to many Americans that such obvious inauthentic hyperbole is not only appropriate, but convincing.

"Sad!"

Donald Trump will next be seen in a rocking chair on the front porch of the White House, plucking a banjo, singing spirituals.

I like to think of it as more like the old fashioned Texas way. Hanging a horse thief.

The scene in Time Bandits, cowboys roping The Devil, shouting, "We' re gonna have us a lynchin'." Yeah. That was the third image that came to my mind.
The first two were more of a civil rights thing.

The testimony of William Taylor is kind of weird. Trump would repeatedly pressure Ukraine to investigate the Bidens and would then say "This is not a quid pro quo!" to his toadies. He apparently did this repeatedly. It is like a bank robber handing a teller a note. "Give me all the money and nobody will get hurt. This is not a bank robbery". And when caught arguing with the judge it was not a bank robbery because he disavowed that label when he tried to rob the bank.

There is something wrong with that boy.

"Reality is silly putty."
- Paul Krassner

Trump is running out of hyperbole. He pretty is leaving himself with the Holocaust or even worse.

President Ellipsis (well said:
This is just like when the Empire destroyed Alderaan. PLANETARY SCALE GENOCIDE!!! The DNC will stop at nothing.

Trump is running out of hyperbole. He pretty is leaving himself with the Holocaust or even worse.

President Ellipsis (well said:
This is just like when the Empire destroyed Alderaan. PLANETARY SCALE GENOCIDE!!! The DNC will stop at nothing.

I was just thinking that. The way he surrounds himself with coconspirators and enablers, a full investigation will probably look like a 'scorched Earth' policy being implemented. One poor speech writer's assistant, wandering around the Annex in shock, looking like a scene out of Walking Dead... Mumbling to himself, "I just fixed the printers, man. I just fixed the printers..."

Time for a new term. This witch-lynching shit has to stop.
Henceforth please refer to the media's treatment of Trump as "winching".
As in "The mainstream media is winching Trump out of office."

Wisdom from Rachel Maddow

Rachel Maddow on Tuesday warned that the future wasn’t looking very good for former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and those around him.

Maddow summed it up with a vivid image of prison life:

Everybody involved with Rudy Giuliani in this scheme ... is either already modeling the latest in GPS ankle monitors or is nevertheless looking forward to a future career as a fine distiller of prison wine made from toilet water, old fruit and packets of sugar.

I agree with Elixir at #9 above, but I think the new term should be flushing. "This is a plot by the crazy Democrats and the Deep State to flush me out of America!! Well, they picked the wrong guy, didn't they? (Crowd goes wild) They don't know what you folks know -- I'm too big to be flushed!!! (Crowd: 'Too Big! Too Big!') You can't flush me!! (Crowd: 'Can't flush! Can't flush!')"

Referring to impeachment probes as lynching is the new blackface

Back
Top Bottom